Dmitri Young - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Dmitri Young

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dannomyte » Tue May 23, 2006 4:28 pm

DY back on the DL, Jack Hannahan called up

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Tigers put Dmitri Young back on the DL today, which means that he can go on a rehabilitation assignment and play some minor league games to try to get his swing back. Jack Hannahan, who does hit left-handed, was called up from Toledo. Hannahan was hitting .282 with 4 homers and 23 RBIs in 38 games.

Jack Hannahan's stats so far this season

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/ ... pid=435219

Career minor league numbers on Hannahan

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... statistics

He doesn't look like much to me other than a lefty bat off the bench albeit not a very good one!!! Then again you really don't need much to replace DY's .169 in the line-up.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Wed May 24, 2006 12:57 pm

Dannomyte wrote:
Seriously, for as much as I hated to see the Tigers get played by him last season. (I felt they should have benched him before he met his AB clause)

I disagree whole heartedly. I was all for the Tigers letting DY hit his magic number last season and I'm still behind the decision 100%. I personally believe that it would have sent a horrible message to current Tigers players and future free agent targets had the Tigers sat DY for the rest of the season before he got 500 AB.

For example. Consider if you had a job that was performance based or was looking at accepting one. One of the companies you are considering had screwed an employee out of reaching an attainable performance platform just to save a few dollars. Wouldn't that seriously come in to play in your decision making on whether you would re-up or sign at all with the company?? I know for me if there were just as good of options out there I'm going to go somewhere that doesn't have a history of screwing it's "workers"..

I realize $8 million is alot more than a few dollars to you and I but to the Ilitch's it's a drop in the bucket to display some good faith on a player. As it stands now DY looks like the shmuck and the Tigers come out smelling like roses for a change.

We will have to agree to disagree on this point. Given how poorly the Tigers were responding to Tram I think that supporting a known cancer, an underperforming malingerer, in reaching a bonus clause that would reward him sent a message to the team. That message was: It's all about me. Ef the team, I want mine.

In the business world if you underperform and go against the grain of upper management, they don't dis-allow you to meet incentive clauses. They fire you. That is the difference. The message sent to any current players or future FAs could've have been: come to Detroit. We'll overpay you and won't ask you to respect the uniform, or the fans. What kind of message is that?

Fortunately we changed management and have resurrected a franchise. So maybe the message sent will be come to Detroit and help us win.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed May 24, 2006 5:10 pm

To me the whole issue of letting DY reach his minimum plate appearances last year wasn't just about DY himself. It was a decision that was to avoid the risk of getting a grievance filed by the player's union, which on it's own isn't really a huge deal. However, more importantly when you go out of your way to make a player miss a certain milestone that will trigger a contractual obligation, then you also risk your reputation with future free agents who may look back and be skeptical about similar contract offers.

In the long run, I think it was the right decision, but that is clearly arguable.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Detroit Tigers