Dmitri Young - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Dmitri Young

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dmitri Young

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu May 18, 2006 7:53 am

DY in trouble and it has nothing to do with him stinking up the field.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060517/NEWS11/60517023

Nice, give everyone even more reason to tire of your antics.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Thu May 18, 2006 10:30 am

This is the part I like best:
Young, who is 6 foot 2 inches, and 225 pounds, was charged with domestic violence instead of assault and battery, Heppner said, because the two had a long-term relationship.

Wait a minute. She's 21 years old. How long a relationship could they have had? And didn't DY get divorced last year?

Geez, the Tigers should send this clown out of town. Still makes me angry that they let him rob them of $8 mil by letting him get his ABs last year. He didn't earn it, and he showed them what he was made of after reaching the minimum ABs needed.
Now he's shown this bimbo what he is made of too. What a bum.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu May 18, 2006 5:26 pm

I was willing to give Dmitri one more chance prior to the season with reports that he was working hard to get his weight down, but I think his chances should be long gone. He can't stay healthy, he is playing terrible, he apparently can't play the field even in spot duty, and now he has some legal troubles coming his way on top of the blemish he put on his reputation last year by refusing to enter a game. I wonder what Leyland's patience with DY is. I think at this point, I would love to see the team acquire a 4th OF/DH who will play practically every day, someone like Raul Ibanez, who could also play spot duty at 1B. I'm just throwing a name out there without knowing if he would be available as the season goes on, but I wouldn't mind seeing a guy like that on the team and making DY nothing more than a memory. Thames may be able to get the job done for a while, but I don't see him as a solution for the rest of the season.

This team has some potential and I don't want to see it wasted.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Fri May 19, 2006 11:45 am

Agreed.

I would love to see them somehow pull of a trade with the Brewhas for Jenkins. He is a good hitting power bat from the left side. A bit streaky, but when he is on he hits a ton. Scares me to think of what they may have to trade though. Part of me wants them to keep a lot of the young Tigers, and that doesn't leave much.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat May 20, 2006 4:54 pm

Haven't seen much DY on the field lately (or in the box scores of games not on TV), not that I mind. Hopefully Thames is given the chance to show what he can do playing almost every day, at least until he plays himself out of it or the team decides to trade for other options. I don't know about the batting average or if he can keep drawing walks at a decent pace, but Thames could easily reach 25 HR's or so, because you cannot question his power. I think it's clear who gives the team more at this point out of DY and Thames.

Actually, the idea of Jenkins would work well. He would make a nice platoon with Thames. Jenkins crushes RHP, but LHP makes him look feeble. Thames in a smaller sample size is the opposite (although this year is different for Thames...for now).
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon May 22, 2006 11:16 am

DY sure isn't helping his own cause in the batter's box. He's 0 for his last 19 with 8 K's. It's hard to feel sorry for him with the way things have been going for him since last year (refusing to pinch hit among other things), but I actually do, albeit not very much. You can see it on his face in the games that he is pressing and realizes his job may be on the line. The team is in contention with a tougher schedule upcoming, so I'm interested in how the whole situation will play out.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Mon May 22, 2006 11:52 am

mcqfesijiba wrote:DY sure isn't helping his own cause in the batter's box. He's 0 for his last 19 with 8 K's. It's hard to feel sorry for him with the way things have been going for him since last year (refusing to pinch hit among other things), but I actually do, albeit not very much. You can see it on his face in the games that he is pressing and realizes his job may be on the line. The team is in contention with a tougher schedule upcoming, so I'm interested in how the whole situation will play out.

What I see when D Fats is at the bat is a guy who is out of shape and need to be re-assigned to Toledo or Erie so he can try and find his swing. He looks absolutely lost up there. They should tell him they're sending him down, if he clears waivers-like anyone would pick up his fat...contract, to work on hitting.

The time to ask him to do anything for the team was last season when he said in effect "No thank you, I have reached my $8 mil clause. I don't feel like pinch-hitting today. The only think I feel like doing is choke down some ribs and my GF."
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Tue May 23, 2006 9:25 am

DY "admits" legal problems have affected his game

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Dmitri Young admitted Monday that his legal problems have affected his play. At the same time, Young expressed confidence that he'll soon be able to find his swing and contribute to the Detroit Tigers.

"It's going to come," said Young, who was out of the Tiger lineup for Monday night's 8-0 win over Kansas City. "Those who believe in me know it's going to come. I just don't not hit. I mean, I've had stretches, but usually my head has not been this clouded, either."

Young, who has been charged with one misdemeanor count of domestic violence, won't comment directly about the case, on advice of his attorney. He said Monday that what bothers him most is that it has affected his reputation.

"When your rep's on the line, I don't know how people deal with it," he said.

Young's case became public last Wednesday. He played for the Tigers Saturday and Sunday against Cincinnati, going 0-for-7 with three strikeouts to drop his average to .169. Manager Jim Leyland wouldn't commit to when Leyland will play again, saying Monday afternoon: "I'm going to pick my spots. Hopefully, he'll get it turned around."

To do that, Young admitted, he'll need to get the off-field issues out of his mind, at least while he's at the ballpark.

"I need to separate that," he said. "I need to. That's a given. But it's going to come."

The Tigers continue to hope it will. If it doesn't, their only probable option would be to release Young and eat the rest of his $8 million salary. Since they still believe that a healthy and productive Young is their best option, that seems unlikely anytime soon.

Young has already been arraigned on the domestic violence charge. A court date has been set, but it's not expected that Young will have to miss any games.

I have been a big DY supporter but man this guy is wearing my patience thin. I'm sure his legal troubles are affecting him on the field but if he gave 2 shits about anything other than himself he would take an extended stint in the minors to get his swing and timing back. Not just the 2 day trip to AA that he played awful in. He isn't doing anyone any good with the way he is playing right now.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby moochman » Tue May 23, 2006 12:30 pm

He sounds a bit delusional with his "my rep is on the line" crap. Hasn't anyone told him his rep was shot after last year when he took the money and ran...er...make that took the money and sat.

Seriously, for as much as I hated to see the Tigers get played by him last season. (I felt they should have benched him before he met his AB clause) They do need him to turn things around. He is a career .280 hitter and is one of the few lefties in the line-up. They need to stress to him that a few weeks in the minors would be in his best interest.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Tue May 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Seriously, for as much as I hated to see the Tigers get played by him last season. (I felt they should have benched him before he met his AB clause)

I disagree whole heartedly. I was all for the Tigers letting DY hit his magic number last season and I'm still behind the decision 100%. I personally believe that it would have sent a horrible message to current Tigers players and future free agent targets had the Tigers sat DY for the rest of the season before he got 500 AB.

For example. Consider if you had a job that was performance based or was looking at accepting one. One of the companies you are considering had screwed an employee out of reaching an attainable performance platform just to save a few dollars. Wouldn't that seriously come in to play in your decision making on whether you would re-up or sign at all with the company?? I know for me if there were just as good of options out there I'm going to go somewhere that doesn't have a history of screwing it's "workers"..

I realize $8 million is alot more than a few dollars to you and I but to the Ilitch's it's a drop in the bucket to display some good faith on a player. As it stands now DY looks like the shmuck and the Tigers come out smelling like roses for a change.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Detroit Tigers