Furcal to play another IF position? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Furcal to play another IF position?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Furcal to play another IF position?

Postby RynMan » Thu May 18, 2006 5:54 am

The Los Angeles Daily News' Tony Jackson reports Los Angeles Dodgers SS Rafael Furcal might move to a different position when SS Cesar Izturis returns to the team in June. Furcal hasn't shut the door on a position switch but team members believe Furcal doesn't want to move from shortstop.

I don't see it. They are paying him ridiculous amounts of money to be their SS, not their 2B. Izturis will likely move to 2B, and Kent to 3rd. Alternatively Nomar to 3rd, and Kent to 1st.

The only way I see Furcal playing 2nd is if they deem his sore shoulder would be better off with the shorter throw - which they may very well do with a SS that is gold glove caliber in reserve.

I could really use the 2B eligibility. O:-)
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Thu May 18, 2006 7:36 am

Well, Furcal has the arm to play 3B. Kent obviously does not have the arm for the hot corner. The move to 3rd by Nomar makes more sense. I really do agree with you that having Izturis waste away with his fielding skills is a bad move in real baseball terms. Of course, they may trade Izturis (Min, Bos, ChC) for some pitching. Also, I think you still have to consider LAD moving players regarding Andy LaRoche (3B) and Joel Guzman (might be at SS). These are 2 young studs knocking on the door.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Re: Furcal to play another IF position?

Postby bigh0rt » Thu May 18, 2006 11:46 am

RynMan wrote:
The Los Angeles Daily News' Tony Jackson reports Los Angeles Dodgers SS Rafael Furcal might move to a different position when SS Cesar Izturis returns to the team in June. Furcal hasn't shut the door on a position switch but team members believe Furcal doesn't want to move from shortstop.

I don't see it. They are paying him ridiculous amounts of money to be their SS, not their 2B. Izturis will likely move to 2B, and Kent to 3rd. Alternatively Nomar to 3rd, and Kent to 1st.

The only way I see Furcal playing 2nd is if they deem his sore shoulder would be better off with the shorter throw - which they may very well do with a SS that is gold glove caliber in reserve.

I could really use the 2B eligibility. O:-)

Oh Furcal, please get 2B eligibility... :-/
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby thehotcorner » Thu May 18, 2006 11:49 am

Havok1517 wrote:Well, Furcal has the arm to play 3B. Kent obviously does not have the arm for the hot corner. The move to 3rd by Nomar makes more sense. I really do agree with you that having Izturis waste away with his fielding skills is a bad move in real baseball terms. Of course, they may trade Izturis (Min, Bos, ChC) for some pitching. Also, I think you still have to consider LAD moving players regarding Andy LaRoche (3B) and Joel Guzman (might be at SS). These are 2 young studs knocking on the door.

Furcal is no slouch in the field either.
thehotcorner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Thu May 18, 2006 12:04 pm

thehotcorner wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Well, Furcal has the arm to play 3B. Kent obviously does not have the arm for the hot corner. The move to 3rd by Nomar makes more sense. I really do agree with you that having Izturis waste away with his fielding skills is a bad move in real baseball terms. Of course, they may trade Izturis (Min, Bos, ChC) for some pitching. Also, I think you still have to consider LAD moving players regarding Andy LaRoche (3B) and Joel Guzman (might be at SS). These are 2 young studs knocking on the door.

Furcal is no slouch in the field either.

True, but he's not in Izturis's class, hardly anybody is. I think Furcal relies on his arm to get him out of trouble sometimes and if that ever weakens his feilding will too.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby brewcrew4you » Thu May 18, 2006 12:17 pm

Guzman is an OF now, he's not a concern for the switch... and Andy LaRoche is hardly a major league lock... but yeah, there's going to be some re-organizing. Izturis at 3rd, Furcal at 3rd, or Nomar at 3rd/Kent at 1st/Furcal at 2nd seem to be the most likely possibilities. Or a trade.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu May 18, 2006 1:03 pm

Guzman has outgrown the SS position is playing the outfield in Las Vegas.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby George_Foreman » Thu May 18, 2006 1:23 pm

Furcal's arm would be soooooooo much less valuable anywhere that's not SS. To move him to 2B would be moronic and 3B only marginally better.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Thu May 18, 2006 1:31 pm

George_Foreman wrote:Furcal's arm would be soooooooo much less valuable anywhere that's not SS. To move him to 2B would be moronic and 3B only marginally better.

Explain please

Izturis is by far the better defensive SS, no question even with Furcal's arm. Furcal's arm would be great at 3B. I actually think Izturis gets traded, but I see a lot of sense in making Furcal a 3B on a team with Izturis.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Hobbes » Thu May 18, 2006 2:14 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:Furcal's arm would be soooooooo much less valuable anywhere that's not SS. To move him to 2B would be moronic and 3B only marginally better.

Explain please

A good arm is most valuable at short because the ball gets to third basemen quicker, giving them more time for the throw, and second basemen have a shorter distance to throw it. The combination of the ball taking longer to get to the fielder, long throws from the hole, a further distance to throw the ball and the quickness needed for double plays mean that a strong arm is most valuable at shortstop.
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers