The HOLD category is a joke - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The HOLD category is a joke

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Matthias » Thu May 18, 2006 3:41 pm

Thanks. I wouldn't say it makes all the relievers the same, but it makes their value more gradual. A top closer will still get 40+ saves whereas a top hold guy is in the high 20's or low 30's. So a top closer still beats out a top MR guy but they're close. And Scot Shields at this point has about 4x the value of Huston Street.

The real thing that was annoying me last year was when a reliever would come in with the lead in the 9th, blow the lead, have his team bail him out, and get credited with the win. I would've made blown saves -2 but figured most of the time they also get the loss so it's damage enough.

But it does seem to be working out pretty well so far.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PinotResa » Thu May 18, 2006 4:43 pm

Cool idea Matthias.

Hey NZF, you gotta be loving this :-b

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore?gid=260518105
PinotResa
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Leiter Fan » Thu May 18, 2006 4:55 pm

All I have to say is that I have Eric Gagne, Huston Street, Chad Cordero, Mike Gonzalez, Dan Wheeler and Juan Rincon, and:

I have yet to get one save this week;
I have consistently lost saves every week; and
Papelbon has singlehandedly tied my entire team's save total for the season so far!

So anyone who would like to argue with me that holds are more arbitrary than saves is going to get an earful until their ears start bleeding.

Long live the hold!!
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu May 18, 2006 8:47 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I mean, did YOU peg Zumaya to be leading the league in holds at this point in the season?? Or Coffey to be 3rd??

I enjoy using holds because you're required to utilize baseball players otherwise owned in 0% of leagues, which in turn, forces more quality starters and closers into Free Agency. It also takes skill in finding not only the pen arms who will give you hold opportunities, but ones who will help your ratios as well.

All in all, I like the hold for fantasy just as much as I do the Win or Save.

Raise your hand if you pegged Felipe to lead the league in SBs? Oscar Villareal to be tied for the league in wins? Papelbon and Gordon to be 1 and 2 in saves?

Comments about holds being more unpredictable than several others stats used in FBB are simply ignorant nonsense.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Leiter Fan » Thu May 18, 2006 8:57 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I mean, did YOU peg Zumaya to be leading the league in holds at this point in the season?? Or Coffey to be 3rd??

I enjoy using holds because you're required to utilize baseball players otherwise owned in 0% of leagues, which in turn, forces more quality starters and closers into Free Agency. It also takes skill in finding not only the pen arms who will give you hold opportunities, but ones who will help your ratios as well.

All in all, I like the hold for fantasy just as much as I do the Win or Save.

Raise your hand if you pegged Felipe to lead the league in SBs? Oscar Villareal to be tied for the league in wins? Papelbon and Gordon to be 1 and 2 in saves?

Comments about holds being more unpredictable than several others stats used in FBB are simply ignorant nonsense.

I agree 110%
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby NZF » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:15 pm

I basically punted holds all year in the H2HWS Australia League and crushed the opposition with a .640 WP. Top qualifier and obviously a bye through to the semi-final B-)

First time playing a H2H league and have enjoyed the challenge although roto rules by a margin. Another reason H2H comes no where close to roto is what is going to happen to me in my semifinal.
My pitchers Santana, Halladay and Jered Weaver are all pitching on Sunday so I will only get 1 start each from them next week :-t If my opponent by chance has the luxury of two starts each from his stud pitchers, that gives him a huge advantage. Semis should also be played over 2 weeks. Another major H2H problem, just too much of the luck factor for my liking.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers