Yahoo's New Oranks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo's New Oranks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Thursday » Wed May 17, 2006 10:05 pm

kaveman wrote:The top 50 are eerily similar to Funston's Big Board last week.
:-P
It'll be harder for me to trade Crawford now that he moved from 10 into the 30's.


I have a sneaking suspicion that Funston actually has a lot to do with the O-ranks to the point that i think the O ranks actually ARE funston's. Sick, i know. :-P
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2258
Joined: 28 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby twistedude » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:52 am

O-Ranks were adjusted again today. Is this done by yahoo on a monthy basis, or just at random?
twistedude
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2283
(Past Year: 37)
Joined: 19 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdsun1 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:30 am

twistedude wrote:O-Ranks were adjusted again today. Is this done by yahoo on a monthy basis, or just at random?


I just noticed this. Is it just me or did I see richie sexson move from a top 50 to a nothing in these o-ranks?? Anyways they dont mean anything and the real ranks are better than the oranks anyways. Why does yahoo even have an orank when they can just use the regular ranking system they have?
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1075
Joined: 5 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby twistedude » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:33 am

jdsun1 wrote:
twistedude wrote:O-Ranks were adjusted again today. Is this done by yahoo on a monthy basis, or just at random?


I just noticed this. Is it just me or did I see richie sexson move from a top 50 to a nothing in these o-ranks?? Anyways they dont mean anything and the real ranks are better than the oranks anyways. Why does yahoo even have an orank when they can just use the regular ranking system they have?


I think the O-Rank is adjusted according to their long term performance for the current season AND seasons past. The "rank" is adjusted purely according to their statistical output. I think having both is helpful actually, but one shouldn't rely on them strictly in determining player values.
twistedude
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2283
(Past Year: 37)
Joined: 19 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ktown » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:16 pm

I think that O-Rank is a composite of a player's stats for the past 3-4 years. It's probably weighted heavier for more recent performance, but there's definitely an algorithm there. I think at a certain point in the year, the stats for oldest year are dropped and they start adding this year into the equation. It makes sense for them to wait a couple of months to build up stats for this year because they probably count for so much. From here on, they'll probably be updated daily like the other ranks.
ktown
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 135
Joined: 25 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: back in 94

Postby Simulacrum » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:05 pm

Vernon Wells 17 8-o

Teixiera 22 8-o
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Posts: 9875
Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On a Mission

Postby ktown » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:26 pm

You can look at Vernon and Teix as case studies of their algorithm. Look at their OPS #s for the past 4 years (neither steals a lot, so it's fair).

Year Wells Teix
2003 .909 .811
2004 .809 .929
2005 .783 .954
2006 .994 .827

Up until this week, the O-rank was a total of 2005-2003. When they updated the O-Rank this week, they basically switched their calculations to use 2006-2004.

It looks like Teix should go up when you replace .811 with .827, but the weighting makes a big difference.Say for simplicity we weight current year as 1/2, last year as 1/3 and 2 years ago as 1/6 of the total.

Teix's high O-rank had leaned heavily on his past 2 years, but when you use this year's stats as half, he suddenly drops and Vern goes way up hitting .994 so far despite dropping a .909 year.
ktown
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 135
Joined: 25 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: back in 94

Postby G.O.A.T. » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:33 pm

Can someone tell me how Jermaine Dye is ranked 221 behind such great hitters like Beltre, Luis Castillo, and Clinton Freaking Barmes among others?
G.O.A.T.
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 95
Joined: 28 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby twistedude » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:54 pm

G.O.A.T. wrote:Can someone tell me how Jermaine Dye is ranked 221 behind such great hitters like Beltre, Luis Castillo, and Clinton Freaking Barmes among others?


Blame it on Funston :-b
twistedude
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2283
(Past Year: 37)
Joined: 19 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Simulacrum » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:06 pm

ktown wrote:You can look at Vernon and Teix as case studies of their algorithm. Look at their OPS #s for the past 4 years (neither steals a lot, so it's fair).

Year Wells Teix
2003 .909 .811
2004 .809 .929
2005 .783 .954
2006 .994 .827

Up until this week, the O-rank was a total of 2005-2003. When they updated the O-Rank this week, they basically switched their calculations to use 2006-2004.

It looks like Teix should go up when you replace .811 with .827, but the weighting makes a big difference.Say for simplicity we weight current year as 1/2, last year as 1/3 and 2 years ago as 1/6 of the total.

Teix's high O-rank had leaned heavily on his past 2 years, but when you use this year's stats as half, he suddenly drops and Vern goes way up hitting .994 so far despite dropping a .909 year.


Nice analysis. ;-D
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Posts: 9875
Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On a Mission

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 4:19 hours
(and 89 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact