Yahoo's New Oranks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo's New Oranks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby JoeMoney19 » Wed May 17, 2006 1:49 pm

how is mccann still so low? 541? he's been a top 5 catcher!
JoeMoney19
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed May 17, 2006 2:02 pm

GAC8666 wrote:Im pretty sure that the Sb are waited much more. B/c RBIs and even runs are easier to get and more players get them. So if you have 5 more SB than a player the "fantasy value" of a player is much higher. Even if the other numbers are lower.

the o-rank is not an actual formula like the regular rank. the o-rank is mostly opinion oriented. so dont base stats too much on it because it wont make any sense. (not that it ever makes much sense in any regard, but you know what i mean.)

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rentz » Wed May 17, 2006 2:08 pm

i use oranks when looking at trades a lot...because some people place so much importance on them....also i know if i drop a guy whos struggling, but has a good orank , he wont clear waivers.

sorting by orank on the fa wire isnt too bad, it tends to put the better players near the top for me to browse through, instead of scouring multiple pages. but i dont base decisions soley on them
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby McBain » Wed May 17, 2006 2:08 pm

Madison wrote:A suggestion though is that anyone who frequents this board should get into private leagues ;-) .

So far my experience with Yahoo leagues is rather poor. :-t I can't say for certain that I will be playing in the future.

The first league I played was a custom-scored private league. It was a mix of knowledgeable veterans and newbies, of which I was one. I was leading for months when one manager released ALL of his cuttable players right around the trade deadline. Being new to the game, I expected the commish to intercede. He didn't -- and after a few days I was left to grab at what was left, which wasn't much. Somehow I was able to hold my lead by a few points, but it killed the enjoyment. The player claimed he did it because he didn't have the time to manage his team, but the reality was he had an axe to grind.

This year I am in two Yahoo public leagues, and while one is great, the second has a guy who was in colllusion with another player to get Pujols -- and succeeded -- and now is in first place. This guy also picks up players and drops them immediately to keep them away from others. The manager he is in collusion with -- which is probably his second team -- does it also. I complained to Yahoo! but they did nothing. Too much juvenile behavior and cheating in Yahoo! leagues for my taste. :-t
McBain
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Wed May 17, 2006 2:33 pm

Whether or not you want to believe it, I'm sure O-rank have some psychological impact when evaluating trade offers, even for veterans. When you can't view the trade screen without having "O-rank" as the first thing listed after a players name, it's hard to avoid. Even if you know you're winning a trade, seeing that you are giving up a top-50 O-rank player for someone outside the top 150 is rough... even if you think the numbers are meaningless.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bleach168 » Wed May 17, 2006 2:39 pm

McBain wrote:
Madison wrote:A suggestion though is that anyone who frequents this board should get into private leagues ;-) .

So far my experience with Yahoo leagues is rather poor. :-t I can't say for certain that I will be playing in the future.

The first league I played was a custom-scored private league. It was a mix of knowledgeable veterans and newbies, of which I was one. I was leading for months when one manager released ALL of his cuttable players right around the trade deadline. Being new to the game, I expected the commish to intercede. He didn't -- and after a few days I was left to grab at what was left, which wasn't much. Somehow I was able to hold my lead by a few points, but it killed the enjoyment. The player claimed he did it because he didn't have the time to manage his team, but the reality was he had an axe to grind.

This year I am in two Yahoo public leagues, and while one is great, the second has a guy who was in colllusion with another player to get Pujols -- and succeeded -- and now is in first place. This guy also picks up players and drops them immediately to keep them away from others. The manager he is in collusion with -- which is probably his second team -- does it also. I complained to Yahoo! but they did nothing. Too much juvenile behavior and cheating in Yahoo! leagues for my taste. :-t

A lot of us have had similar experiences with Yahoo public leagues. It's time to move on.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Wed May 17, 2006 6:20 pm

Yikes, Casey Blake's O-Rank = 201. :-?

Javy Lopez = 120 something.

Right.

I'm glad these O-Ranks weren't here for my R. Howard for A. Soriano trade :-) Soriano's now O-Ranked 9 ... and I dealt Howard for him pretty much straight up (Some pitchers were in the mix I think ... or useless DL players).
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby kaveman » Wed May 17, 2006 7:10 pm

The top 50 are eerily similar to Funston's Big Board last week.
:-P
It'll be harder for me to trade Crawford now that he moved from 10 into the 30's.
kaveman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed May 17, 2006 8:33 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:Whether or not you want to believe it, I'm sure O-rank have some psychological impact when evaluating trade offers, even for veterans. When you can't view the trade screen without having "O-rank" as the first thing listed after a players name, it's hard to avoid. Even if you know you're winning a trade, seeing that you are giving up a top-50 O-rank player for someone outside the top 150 is rough... even if you think the numbers are meaningless.

Actually, some of us play leagues at several different sites, so we do trades all the time where there are no Yahoo ranks to look at. I learned a long time ago that Yahoo has issues with ranking players correctly, so even when I make a trade at Yahoo (I have two private Cafe' leagues there), the O-Ranks mean nothing to me.

I can see your point though, and I'm sure some people flinch a little when they trade the guy ranked 50 or better for someone outside the top 150. Odds are that they still make the trade though, and with experience, they won't continue to flinch every time. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BigZ38 » Wed May 17, 2006 9:01 pm

what exactly is the o-rank?

What does the O mean, how is it formulated?

Does the O stand for Opinion?
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers