Is there any reason for Mesa's suckiness? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is there any reason for Mesa's suckiness?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is there any reason for Mesa's suckiness?

Postby flloyd » Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:11 pm

I got Mesa about 6 weeks ago thinking he was a great buy low candidate. He had an ERA of 5+ yet he's posted ERS under 3 the last two years. I thought I did a good job since he had given me a 3.5 ERA with a few Ws and saves until his recent implosion 5 ER in 1/3 inning balloning his ERA right back to 5+.

I am curious to know if there is any reason why he has sucked so bad and will he improve. Has he just become too old and reached the end of the line or is it just a mechanical flaw that he will correct and proceed to pitch well from here on out. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby crazybob60 » Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:13 pm

It is because of his deep hatred for Omar Vizquel. He just can't get it out of his mind about how Omar did the cartwheel during an exhibition game a few years back after a home run against him. although this happened, I am really not sure what is up with mesa. He just may be in a funk. Maybe him and Burrell are roommates or something this year or something.
crazybob60
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jdh » Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:26 pm

He just never has been a particularly good pitcher, with a career 1.42 WHIP. Last year, he had a 1.37 WHIP, but an ERA under 3.00, which was lower than it should have been, meaning that he was probably more lucky than good. This year, his WHIP is up to 1.58, which isn't really that far off his career totals, and his ERA is around where you'd suspect it to be with a WHIP like that. His K/9 and K/BB ratios are also right where they were last year, but he's just giving up too many hits. I don't think there's any reason to think he'll signifigantly improve. He's a marginal closer at best who will only help one category and will hurt your ratios.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:11 pm

The bottom line is that he is old and always seems to make it interesting. He has had 1 really dominant year and a few others that were close. He has never really been able to put it all together for a long stretch of his career.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:03 pm

Have never liked Mesa much. Hes a mgrs nightmare, with his high ratio. Hes basically a better version of Escobar.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 303)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby King Tim » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:36 pm

Hasn't he always sucked? Didn't he blow the 7th game for Cleveland in the 97 Series?
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Danks81 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:40 am

He's old and fat. No longer Senor Smoke, he's Senor Sucks.
"I tried to hit a 1,000-foot homer. I went down on the ground and wasn't the same after that."
- Henry Rodriguez
Danks81
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby d » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:51 am

King Tim wrote:Hasn't he always sucked? Didn't he blow the 7th game for Cleveland in the 97 Series?
Yes, that's one of the reasons why Vizquel agreed with us, "Mesa sucks". :-)
d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers