Baseball cards no fun anymore - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia

Baseball cards no fun anymore

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby yellow fox » Wed May 17, 2006 8:10 am

If cards are a real passion then that is one thing, but buying baseball cards just to sell them taints the purity of a nice hobby. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the fact that the Ricky Henderson rookie I acquired as a kid is rather pricey, but I'd have to be eating food out of a dumpster before I thought about selling it (or any of them). All this being said, it ain't as bad as adults asking other adults for autographs. Again, getting them as a kid is one thing, but ....... come on.
yellow fox
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mr Irrelevant » Wed May 17, 2006 8:57 am

I have a 1986 Donruss Bonds rookie card, back when he was a skinny bloke. ;-D
Mr Irrelevant
College Coach
College Coach

Postby benjapage » Wed May 17, 2006 10:17 am

yellow fox wrote:The problem is that you are not 12 anymore. Once you get a little older everything seems "better when I was young", but it ain't, it's only a little different. Collecting cards outside of your teenage years is pretty pathetic anyway, though not that spending a minute to write this is much better.

yeah, you should probably stop doing things that are fun once you turn 13. whatever, dude.

btw, i never collected cards because i always lose stuff, anyway. i'm just saying...collecting cards is pathetic? harsh.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby The Thrill » Thu May 18, 2006 4:49 pm

mbuser wrote:it is hard to believe what sports card collecting has morphed into. do they even make 'regular' sets any more? it seems like everything today is a chrome autographed game-used jersey die-cast refractive lens limited edition lithograph that is part of an insert set of 5 cards that is one of 28459234 different insert sets that one of the 49239489 card manufacturers put of for the season

Agreed. I'm disappointed with how many insert sets there are these days. Why can't we just have a basic set. I'm fine with short prints, serial #'s and jersey edition cards, but make it all part of one set (i.e. cards 400-450 are jerseys, cards 450-500 are SP).

I'm tired of seeing all these offshoot insert sets.....the red bordered edition, b&w edition, bat/lumber group, lumber/bat group, hometown heroes group, all-star gloves, all-star bats, all-star cleets, all-star caps, home run hitters, home run trotters and the home run crawlers insert...... :-°
The Thrill
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Pablo975 » Thu May 18, 2006 6:07 pm

I was at a WalMart in Gulfport, MS this weekend and saw the damndest thing. In a chain store RENOWNED for it's crappy selection of sports cards, sat a blast from the past: a box of 1989 Upper Deck. and a box of 1988 Donruss, and a box of 1987 Donruss.

8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o

I asked a manager where they got their cards. He replied that a vendor keeps them stocked, WM just sells them. I thought it funny that 17+ year old cards were on his shelves, but he seemed unconcerned.

I figured the cards HAD to have been searched, so I started examining the packs. They looked great, so I thought, "Why not?" and bought a few packs of the 87 Donruss and 89 UD.

Lo and behold, I pulled Ripken and Canseco from the Donruss and McGwire and Sheffield from the UD! So these were obviously not searched back in the day, as those 4 would have been kept by the puller. Maybe someone searched them recently for a Griffey or Bonds error, but so be it.

Since none of those cards really has THAT much value, it was wasted right? WRONG.

I got the best laughs out of cards Gerald Perry, Dick Schofield, Wally Joyner, Gregg Olson, etc, etc that it was far worth it to me. and that's why I still pick up cards now and again, for the nostalgia of days gone by or to see what crazy gimmick they're using these days. I still got happy to pull a Pujols basic card and a Tex AL HR leaders card. Worth zilch, but fun to pull.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Previous

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia