Baseball cards no fun anymore - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia

Baseball cards no fun anymore

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Baseball cards no fun anymore

Postby johnsamo » Tue May 16, 2006 4:10 pm

Back when I was a kid, Topps was the only game in town, they were fun because (A) they weren't expensive, (B) They smelled like bubble gum (C) they weren't packed with star players, so actually getting one of your favorite players was a big big deal. (D) (stupidly perhaps) you didn't treat them like collectibles that would be worth money... The only value a card had was how much you like that particular player... and since it was so rare to get that card, it really meant something.

As soon as Topps lost their monopoly and the companies started packing the cards with star players, the fun went out of it.

I'd actually love to run a baseball card company and run it "old school".... cheaper cards, more even distribution (i.e. less stars)... Make it more a fun thing to be played with and not a holy relic meant to be hermetically sealed for future value.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mbuser » Tue May 16, 2006 4:29 pm

it is hard to believe what sports card collecting has morphed into. do they even make 'regular' sets any more? it seems like everything today is a chrome autographed game-used jersey die-cast refractive lens limited edition lithograph that is part of an insert set of 5 cards that is one of 28459234 different insert sets that one of the 49239489 card manufacturers put of for the season
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Fool42 » Tue May 16, 2006 4:30 pm

I stopped a long time ago. For me what ruined it was the "insert madness" Even when there were the big 3 at least you could try to complete sets by trading with friends and all that stuff. After all this insert crap nobody wanted anything but RC's and inserts.
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tomkatt » Tue May 16, 2006 4:42 pm

It's become largely an adult hobby now because of the expense. As soon as the companies started with the high-end inserts, it became more of a lottery than a hobby. I've got customers that open up packs and leave almost everything here. If it's not worth $50, they don't bother to even take it. It's a shame. :-t
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby johnsamo » Tue May 16, 2006 4:50 pm

The great irony about the collectible market is, items made to be collectibles rarely become them over time because there's no scarcity. There's a billion rookie King Felix cards.... 20 years from now, nobody will care because there'll be too many floating around.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tomkatt » Tue May 16, 2006 4:57 pm

Actually the biggest problem with rookie cards today is the "instant" fortune they are worth. When I was a kid you had to wait a few years or more for a rookie card to really appreciate in value. Now customers pull a big time prospect's rookie card out serial numbered out of 499 or whatever, books at $250 right out of the chute. Problem is there's nowhere for that card to go but down. Then everybody gets pissed. Obviously there are exceptions, but they are few and far between.
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bdrotoronto » Tue May 16, 2006 5:09 pm

johnsamo wrote:The great irony about the collectible market is, items made to be collectibles rarely become them over time because there's no scarcity. There's a billion rookie King Felix cards.... 20 years from now, nobody will care because there'll be too many floating around.

This is true. Back when I was more impressionable I went out and bought the complete Upper Deck 1989 set because it was supposed to be an extremely valuable set that would appreciate in value over time. Within a couple of years, so many people had it that each set was virtually worthless, and no more valuable than any random set of cards on the street.

Let's face it, cards haven't really been so valuable since the retirement of Joe Shlabotnik.. :-B ;-D
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby yellow fox » Wed May 17, 2006 1:35 am

The problem is that you are not 12 anymore. Once you get a little older everything seems "better when I was young", but it ain't, it's only a little different. Collecting cards outside of your teenage years is pretty pathetic anyway, though not that spending a minute to write this is much better.
yellow fox
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Members Only Jackets » Wed May 17, 2006 2:51 am

Interesting thread....Just the other day I asked myself "why do I play fantasy baseball?" I think it's becasue my teams, especially in keeper leagues, are like living baseball cards that I own. And I can still "buy" rookies or prospects cheap and watch them gain value...
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby bigken117 » Wed May 17, 2006 7:47 am

I still collect cards, but not as much as I like because it is so expensive. Even though I make more money than I did when I was 12, I also have more expenses :-b But every once in a while I'll go to the store and drop $20-$30 on some packs on singles from eBay.

Just this past Friday I bought 1 pack of 1985 Topps ($4) and pulled a McGwire ;-D Not that special a card anymore, but it was nice because it was the back of the first card you see when you peel back the wrapper. That;s the best feeling. Fortuantely it wasn't on the other side where the gum stuck to it.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Next

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia