Any Tomko believers out there? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Any Tomko believers out there?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any Tomko believers out there?

Postby TB13 » Tue May 16, 2006 3:52 pm

He's been quietly very effective and pitches in a good pitchers park. Anyone making good use of him? How does he stack up against someone like Bedard, who is younger and has much more potential?
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Any Tomko believers out there?

Postby mikhayl » Tue May 16, 2006 4:06 pm

TB13 wrote:He's been quietly very effective and pitches in a good pitchers park. Anyone making good use of him? How does he stack up against someone like Bedard, who is younger and has much more potential?

Huge believer right here. Strangely, he's been significantly better on the road - including last night's start at Coors. His WHIP is low and shrinking this year and his BB/9 is down about 25% from his career #s. I haven't gotten a chance to see him pitch yet this season, but it looks like he's just finding the strike zone really well right now.

Hopefully he stays locked in because he has a tendency to lose the strike zone big time. I'm riding this until it ends though. He was free off the WW.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue May 16, 2006 4:08 pm

bomko is a tease. he has had stretches were he looks good, only to to revert to his old ways. ride him while he is hot but do not be fooled. he will not keep this up.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby The Jury » Tue May 16, 2006 4:21 pm

I was interested and picked him up, but I had bigger holes to fill so I dropped him with a little less than a glance backward. I like his numbers so far this year, but I don't see them lasting - he's the same pitcher that he has been over the years. His defense independant statistic (whichever you choose to use) is ugly and in line with his career stats.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue May 16, 2006 4:29 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:bomko is a tease. he has had stretches were he looks good, only to to revert to his old ways. ride him while he is hot but do not be fooled. he will not keep this up.

he did cut down on the walks this year which had been his downfall his whole career. I'm a believer and Tomko wouldn't cost you a ton right now and probably should be owned in 12 teams leagues.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maestro1313 » Tue May 16, 2006 4:46 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:bomko is a tease. he has had stretches were he looks good, only to to revert to his old ways. ride him while he is hot but do not be fooled. he will not keep this up.

I agree here... but I"m also an owner who hopped on board 3 starts ago...

It's not going to happen all year, but ride it for a while... then dump as soon as you get a solid offer.
"Hi, my name's Moe. Or as the ladies like to refer to me, 'hey you in the bushes'" - Moe Szyslack

'The future is now!' - Thanks Giantfan14... this rules
maestro1313
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue May 16, 2006 5:00 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:

he did cut down on the walks this year which had been his downfall his whole career. I'm a believer and Tomko wouldn't cost you a ton right now and probably should be owned in 12 teams leagues.

if you are still a believer check out april 2002, september 2004, sept/oct 2005.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/581 ... e=Pitching

periodically tomko actually looks like a pitcher, but he always reverts to bomko.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Yoda » Tue May 16, 2006 5:07 pm

Few years ago, I thought when he moved from Seattle to SD, he would be awesome.

He's a pretty serviceable pitcher and always had the talent but I just don't believe that he is finally breaking out.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue May 16, 2006 5:18 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

if you are still a believer check out april 2002, september 2004, sept/oct 2005.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/581 ... e=Pitching

periodically tomko actually looks like a pitcher, but he always reverts to bomko.

the thing is that Tomko is a WW pitcher and it doesn't cost you anything to believe, I'll enjoy him while I can and when he start to be a thrower rather than a pitcher again you can just dump him.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue May 16, 2006 5:48 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
the thing is that Tomko is a WW pitcher and it doesn't cost you anything to believe, I'll enjoy him while I can and when he start to be a thrower rather than a pitcher again you can just dump him.

i guess i am misunderstanding the meaning of "believer." i take that to mean someone thinks a certain player will maintain his current level of play for an extended period of time. go ahead and use tomko in the short-term, just keep him on a short lease. i got some great starts out of him in h2h playoffs in 2004.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers