Brandon Phillips - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brandon Phillips

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jondunc » Tue May 16, 2006 1:34 pm

Yoda wrote:
jondunc wrote:
Danimal wrote:Seems like he's finally getting a shot after several years of disappointment.

Yeah, I never understood this argument. In 2003 he got 370 ABs in which he produced a .208/.242/.311. Then he got two years in the minors in which he made no adjustments and no attitude changes. Now it's possible that all of a sudden he's a great and intelligent player again, but I think it's more likely that the league hadn't done it's homework.

I completely disagree with you. Phillips was one of the top prospects in all of baseball. CLE rushed him, he didn't adjust well to switching positions and was simply not ready. He struggled for couple years falling into bad habits and developing attitude ect. Even before this year, a lot of people said that he needed a change and start over. Well, guess what. He got shipped off to a new team and is playing very well.

I don't think he will be great but at the same time, 2B is so thin that all he needs to do is get a few hits and steal some bases. He's 8 for 8 in SB and hitting in the bottom of the lineup will get more opps.

You can blame it on a player or an organization. Probably a mix of both. I agree with you that he's a viable fantasy 2b. However, I'm saying that he won't be anything special for the remainder of the year and certainly won't be better next year.
jondunc
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby T-Bone Costanza » Tue May 16, 2006 1:39 pm

Yoda wrote:I like him. He's cheap and didn't cost me anything and currently ranked 7th among 2B eligible players.

The best part about players like Phillips is, since he didn't cost me anything, I have no problems dropping his ass if he struggles to pick up the next hot 2B.

Haha, glad Yoda realizes that 2B is one of the positions that you can rotate guy in and out of, kinda like a Kicker in football.
T-Bone Costanza
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Tue May 16, 2006 1:41 pm

T-Bone Costanza wrote:
Yoda wrote:I like him. He's cheap and didn't cost me anything and currently ranked 7th among 2B eligible players.

The best part about players like Phillips is, since he didn't cost me anything, I have no problems dropping his ass if he struggles to pick up the next hot 2B.

Haha, glad Yoda realizes that 2B is one of the positions that you can rotate guy in and out of, kinda like a Kicker in football.

2B AND SS. We start 2B, SS and MI. I drafted Kinsler, Crosby and Lowell. Now I have Biggio, Crosby and Phillips. Did the same thing last year and worked out great for me.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby garf112 » Tue May 16, 2006 2:16 pm

Yoda wrote:
T-Bone Costanza wrote:

2B AND SS. We start 2B, SS and MI. I drafted Kinsler, Crosby and Lowell. Now I have Biggio, Crosby and Phillips. Did the same thing last year and worked out great for me.

I'm with you as well Yoda. I started with Crosby, Iguchi, Uribe... Now have Crosby, Iguchi, Jose Lopez... While Crosby was out I had Russ Adams man the fort. Bottom line is all of the lower tier guys are almost the same.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 45)

Postby benjapage » Tue May 16, 2006 2:51 pm

when phillips tanked in cleveland, he was 22. being humiliated over the next couple years might have something to do with the elevation of his attitude and quality of play.

i disagree that this talented kid (now just 24) will have reached his peak with the numbers i suggested above.

with an improved attitude and good talent, anyone can make adjustments and develop their craft. talent has never been a question with him. all reports are that he has dramatically matured.

we'll revisit.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jondunc » Tue May 16, 2006 2:57 pm

benjapage wrote:when phillips tanked in cleveland, he was 22. being humiliated over the next couple years might have something to do with the elevation of his attitude and quality of play.

i disagree that this talented kid (now just 24) will have reached his peak with the numbers i suggested above.

with an improved attitude and good talent, anyone can make adjustments and develop their craft. talent has never been a question with him. all reports are that he has dramatically matured.

we'll revisit.

b

Ok, I agree. Until then. :-]
jondunc
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers