Ethics problem in our league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ethics problem in our league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ethics problem in our league

Postby Alexcny » Mon May 15, 2006 9:27 pm

I currently am in a fantasy baseball league with a bunch of guys i go to school with. Two of the other guys along with myself have a statistics class together. One of the guys knows pretty much everything there is to know about fantasy baseball. He comes in talking about Cole Hamels and how he is going to pick him up as soon as he gets to a computer. The other guy in the league is talking about how Cole Hamels is ranting about how he has never heard of him so he can't possible be good.

The expert gets home and makes a waiver claim on hamels. Theres something like a 2 day waiting period on waivers. That night Hamels has start does well. The fantasy dummy then goes and makes a waiver request on hamels as well. The dummy has a higher waiver priority and ends up with him. They have been debating since then whether or not it was appropriate for the dummy to pick him up figuring if the expert hadn't said anything the dummy wouldn't even have known he existed.

What does everyone else think about this?[/u]
Alexcny
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokeyjoe » Mon May 15, 2006 9:32 pm

If he's on the waiver wire and someone has a higher waiver priority he's fair game. It's pretty simple.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Mon May 15, 2006 9:36 pm

pokeyjoe wrote:If he's on the waiver wire and someone has a higher waiver priority he's fair game. It's pretty simple.
;-D
Hot Chick Draft:
1.01: Scarlett Johansson
2.12: Mila Kunis
3.01: Malin Akerman
4.12: Britney Spears
5.01: Jessica Simpson
6.12: Penelope Cruz
7.01: Tera Patrick
8.12: Christina Milian
9.01: Cameron Diaz
10.12: Lucy Liu
11.1: Jamie Lynn Sigler
BaseballFann0008
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 4Pack » Mon May 15, 2006 9:40 pm

I agree...the fantasy expert should have kept quiet.
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon May 15, 2006 9:44 pm

Really. If the guy is such an expert, he would have kept his big mouth shut and not babbled things out in front of other owners.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby pokeyjoe » Mon May 15, 2006 9:49 pm

Sorry if I was blunt, but I mean, yes, morally it's kind of a d*ck move, but it's fair game.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mak1277 » Mon May 15, 2006 9:52 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Really. If the guy is such an expert, he would have kept his big mouth shut and not babbled things out in front of other owners.

Amen to that. I also disagree that anything was done wrong "morally" or "ethically". Especially if you're playing for money, "it's immoral to let a sucker keep his money."
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon May 15, 2006 9:53 pm

If you frequent the Cafe and get breaking news faster than the others in your league, is it fair to jump the gun to pick up the new closer or callup or starter because of injury? Of course not. I don't care where or how you find out, every advantage you can get is fair game.

And the "expert" should have kept his mouth shut if he wanted Hamels so bad... :-b
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon May 15, 2006 9:55 pm

pokeyjoe wrote:Sorry if I was blunt, but I mean, yes, morally it's kind of a d*ck move, but it's fair game.

There is nothing morally wrong with it one way or the other. Just because you babble about some claim you are going to put in to another owner does not invalidate that other owner's WW position or morally obligate him to lay off. Like I said, if the owner was such an expert, he wouldn ot have opened his mouth in the first place. You can't expect the other guy to not act because he did not know about player X. Who is too say he would not have reas it on Rotoworld or CBS or wherever the same night or during the waiver period?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dewey finn » Mon May 15, 2006 9:56 pm

Simply put, you should have kept your big mouth shut. Hopefully you learn from this.

Oops, I meant "the expert".
dewey finn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers