Pitching strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pitching strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pitching strategy

Postby ironmanjrod » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:56 am

My starting pitching stunk........ I only had Russ Ortiz to brag about... Oh, and I was last in saves in my league.... My offense was strong.... Boone, Sheff, Guerrero (finally), Lowell, etc..... I decided to even things out so I traded Lowell for Wagner???? picked up Kim, Beck, mantei, Hasegawa, and Gordon as FA relief pitchres. I must have been bored becuase I also traded Ortiz for Manny Ramirez. Anyway, I only have brett myers and rich harden as starting pitchers.... my saves over the last 3 weeks have skyrocketed, my era has dropped considerably, and my whip has gone way down. I stand in second place. Of course, wins and k's are suffering by it appears that this new pitching strategy (mostly relief pitchers) has helped. Being new to Fantasy baseball I am unsure if this is wise for the remaining months? any thoughts?

lineup

c greg myers
1 dmitri young
2 Brett Boone
3 Ensberg
ss eckstein
ss mora
of sheffield
of guerrero
of Many ramirez
ut Jose guillen
ut Milton Bradley
b nevin
b nick johnson
b scott podsednick
dl piazza

sp harden
sp kim
rp wagner
rp mantei
p beck
p hasegawa
p gordon
b myers
ironmanjrod
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Juhlz » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:44 am

what are you looking for, congratulations...if you want advice, need to know what kind of league you are in. In your situation now ( if roto) you could probably sit tight and gain points in saves, whip, and era while sacrificing wins a little.
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby flloyd » Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:17 pm

The guy who was in first in our league has done pretty much the same as you although I believe more by coincidence than strategy. He has refused to make any trades because he was in first for so long but has now slipped into second and will probably end up in 4th or 5th in our 10 team league. His only starters are Hudson, Prior, Padilla and Santana and his closers are Foulke, Baez and Williamson. So while he dominates ERA and WHIP and is in 2nd in saves but slipping he is 8th in Ks and last in Wins. This strategy could work well if he just gor some more pitchers becaue his lead in ERA is .49. He could easily pickup some starters and get some Ws and Ks while still controlling the lead in ERA and WHIP.

So I guess if you employ this strategy smartly it can work but don't let yourself give up on both Wins and Strikeouts or you will never be able to finish first.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

pitching strategy

Postby ironmanjrod » Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:05 pm

thanks for the info..... I am in a rotto league. I am dominating the offensive categories and climbing in saves, era, and whip. However, I'm getting caught in wins, k's, and complete games. Being a newbie I wasn't aware of inning limits on starting pitchers. I had a ton of wins and realized that I was projected 45 innings over. This is when I said "CRAP" and just started picking up relievers. It wasn't smart on my part.... just necessity. I just got lucky that Kim, beck, Mantaei etc. got healthy and started to perform. I'm wondering if I should try and trade some offense for some good solid pitching? I mean.... if your 30 homers in front of the rest of the league you win the category.... but you would win the category and the same amount of points if you lead in homers by 5...... should I dangle a sheff for ramon martinez or jason schmidt?
ironmanjrod
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jdh » Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:13 pm

Yes, you should definitely trade away from a strength to address a weekness. I assume it's Pedro Martinez you are trying to acquire, not Ramon Martinez, who has been retired for a couple years. If you can get Pedro for Sheffield, it's a great deal for you.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ironmanjrod » Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:24 pm

:-? Ramon? Ha ha my ignorance shows! Yah, I meant pedro. Sheff seems to be struggling of late. Heck, I have Guillen and he's been lights out lately! I was offered Griffey in a trade and said..... nope, he'll get a hangnail and miss to many games! Sure enough he got hurt again. Guillen? I picked him up in June for free. Will this last?
ironmanjrod
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers