Will "Will" be closing for Atlanta????? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will "Will" be closing for Atlanta?????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will "Will" be closing for Atlanta?????

Postby Big Tiex » Mon May 15, 2006 3:54 pm

David O'Brien reported that Will Startup has been dominating AA and has a shot to be closing for ATL sometime soon. Anyone else hear anything like this??
heres his lines so far-
3 wins, 3 saves 22ip, 25 k's, 3 bb, 0.83 era
Big Tiex
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nerfherders » Mon May 15, 2006 4:00 pm

Maybe next year, not this year. Though he might get called up this season, I doubt he'll be closing. Bobby isnt going to throw a AA player into closing in the big leagues, epecially if the Braves are playing for something.

My guess is that JS goes out and trades for someone before that ever happens.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby brandnew » Mon May 15, 2006 4:41 pm

Nerfherders wrote:Maybe next year, not this year. Though he might get called up this season, I doubt he'll be closing. Bobby isnt going to throw a AA player into closing in the big leagues, epecially if the Braves are playing for something.

Agreed ;-D

I don't think the Braves will rush him. He'll probably get called up in July or August if he continues to dominate, but by that time I presume and hope that there's some stability in the closers role. Who knows, he may have an outside shot at getting the role, but I wouldn't put my money on it.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby laxguy8947 » Mon May 15, 2006 6:00 pm

It just kills me that the Braves pen is doing so awful right now, when we have arms like Startup, Devine, and Boyer. At least the future is bright ;-D

Devine
Boyer
Reitsma
Villareal
McBride
Startup
Cormier

;-D
Thanks to abrage22
laxguy8947
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker

Postby Havok1517 » Mon May 15, 2006 8:13 pm

laxguy8947 wrote:It just kills me that the Braves pen is doing so awful right now, when we have arms like Startup, Devine, and Boyer. At least the future is bright ;-D

Devine
Boyer
Reitsma
Villareal
McBride
Startup
Cormier

;-D

Soon to include Sosa as well. A power arm for sure if he can get his command consistent.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby RynMan » Mon May 15, 2006 8:20 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
laxguy8947 wrote:It just kills me that the Braves pen is doing so awful right now, when we have arms like Startup, Devine, and Boyer. At least the future is bright ;-D

Devine
Boyer
Reitsma
Villareal
McBride
Startup
Cormier

;-D

Soon to include Sosa as well. A power arm for sure if he can get his command consistent.

What about Moylan? ;-7
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Rohan » Tue May 16, 2006 1:54 am

Nerfherders wrote:Maybe next year, not this year. Though he might get called up this season, I doubt he'll be closing. Bobby isnt going to throw a AA player into closing in the big leagues, epecially if the Braves are playing for something.

Jorge Sosa could be the closer this year. He did have a sick .175 batting average with runners in scoring position last year.
Rohan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Tue May 16, 2006 2:02 am

Rohan wrote:

Jorge Sosa could be the closer this year. He did have a sick .175 batting average with runners in scoring position last year.

That is what I think. Sosa was talked about as being the closer to start the year but Atl thought it was better for him to start. Based on pure stuff he's the best canidate imo.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby George_Foreman » Tue May 16, 2006 2:03 am

Yeah. Check the same stat for this year. He's been gawdawful.

Sosa's not going to the pen any time soon, especially if Davies is out for an extended time period. That would make 3 starters on the DL (along with James and Horacio), so I doubt they'd move another starter to the pen. ;-)

That said, if Davies is okay and James comes back, I wouldn't mind seeing Sosa in the pen.... But I think I'd prefer him in the rotation to Ramirez. >_<

Oh, and as for Startup, I'd be surprised to see him up before September this year and not in serious contention for the closer role untli 2007. Of course, I'm betting the pen gets it together by then, what with Devine and Boyer returning in style. ;-)
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Tue May 16, 2006 2:11 am

George_Foreman wrote:Yeah. Check the same stat for this year. He's been gawdawful.

Sosa's not going to the pen any time soon, especially if Davies is out for an extended time period. That would make 3 starters on the DL (along with James and Horacio), so I doubt they'd move another starter to the pen. ;-)

That said, if Davies is okay and James comes back, I wouldn't mind seeing Sosa in the pen.... But I think I'd prefer him in the rotation to Ramirez. >_<

Oh, and as for Startup, I'd be surprised to see him up before September this year and not in serious contention for the closer role untli 2007. Of course, I'm betting the pen gets it together by then, what with Devine and Boyer returning in style. ;-)

Rototimes...

Jorge Sosa allowed five runs and nine hits in 5 2/3 innings Saturday in his first start in 11 days.
Sosa pitched just 1 2/3 innings during his break, so that he was inconsistent once again today hardly came as a surprise. He's expected to be sent to the bullpen once Horacio Ramirez comes off the disabled list.

Now, this may change with the Davies injury, although it looked like minor discomfort.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers