Coors Field no longer a hitter's paradise? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Coors Field no longer a hitter's paradise?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby King Tim » Mon May 15, 2006 8:52 pm

Once July rolls around and the temps rise, so will the # of HR and runs scored. The same thing happened previous years
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokeyjoe » Mon May 15, 2006 9:03 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Hobbes wrote:
RugbyD wrote:the humidor is basically turning Coors into whatever the Marlins' place is called.

When did they start using the humidor?

not sure, but i hadn't heard anything about it until this year.

That's probably cuz the stats haven't been down since this year.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RugbyD » Mon May 15, 2006 11:27 pm

pokeyjoe wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
Hobbes wrote:
RugbyD wrote:the humidor is basically turning Coors into whatever the Marlins' place is called.

When did they start using the humidor?

not sure, but i hadn't heard anything about it until this year.

That's probably cuz the stats haven't been down since this year.

true, must have turned it up a notch. i did a double-take when i looked at Atkins' home/raod splits the other day. have a gander; its amusing.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby mweir145 » Mon May 15, 2006 11:33 pm

I think it's too little a sample size (a little over a month) to take much into it.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby SeovyeQuirsefron » Tue May 16, 2006 1:21 am

I don't know what's going on in Colorado, but I wish I wouldn't have benched Tomko today. (Or seen Ricky on the sidewalk <-- Obscure Mitch Hedberg reference.)
A baseball fan has the digestive apparatus of a billy goat. He can, and does, devour any set of diamond statistics with insatiable appetite and then nuzzles hungrily for more. ~Arthur Daley
SeovyeQuirsefron
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TB13 » Tue May 16, 2006 9:33 am

KolbSaves wrote:They keep upping the humidor settings. The homerun totals have gone down each of the last 3 or 4 years. It seems like they're determined to make it below league average. I'm not sure why MLB allows the Rockies to doctor the baseball, though.

This is the one thing I do not understand. It is one thing to be allowed to mess with the baseball, it is another to keep being allowed to adjust the settings of the humidor. The more they up it, the heavier the ball gets, the less it flies off the bat.
I think that Kruk said it and I agree, if the Rookies are allowed to do what they are doing, then why not allow the Padres and Marlins to cork the bat? Same principle, but to opposite ends. One promotes being able to pitch more and one promotes being able to hit more.
And just who monitors the humidor? Are the balls used by the opposition kept at the same settings as the ones used by the home team?
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Wed May 17, 2006 2:48 pm

Just pulled this out of an SI Article about the 06 Rockies

The Humidor:
The infamous room at Coors stores baseballs and keeps them at major league specs and prevents them from drying out and turning into hard-to-grip, harder-to-handle rocket balls. Helton noticed the humidor's impact on games at Coors last season, and the club apparently has taken another step in '06 by using balls that have been stored in the device the longest rather than randomly pulling them out.

Helton says the humidor effect helps the Rockies when they're on the road. How's that? Before they used the humidor, breaking pitches did not break as much at Coors as at sea level, so when the Rockies went on the road, they had to adjust to breaking pitches that actually broke. Also, because of how well the pre-humidor balls traveled at Coors, hitters could have success even on bad swings. "You really have to hit a ball to get it out of there now. So you take that same swing on the road, and you're in business," Helton says.

:-o :-o

the death of Coors field as we know it

EDIT: ... thinking about this a little more.
That outfield is huge ..
This park could do a complete 180.
is it possible it could become a pitchers park?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby RugbyD » Wed May 17, 2006 3:27 pm

wrveres wrote:Just pulled this out of an SI Article about the 06 Rockies

The Humidor:
The infamous room at Coors stores baseballs and keeps them at major league specs and prevents them from drying out and turning into hard-to-grip, harder-to-handle rocket balls. Helton noticed the humidor's impact on games at Coors last season, and the club apparently has taken another step in '06 by using balls that have been stored in the device the longest rather than randomly pulling them out.

Helton says the humidor effect helps the Rockies when they're on the road. How's that? Before they used the humidor, breaking pitches did not break as much at Coors as at sea level, so when the Rockies went on the road, they had to adjust to breaking pitches that actually broke. Also, because of how well the pre-humidor balls traveled at Coors, hitters could have success even on bad swings. "You really have to hit a ball to get it out of there now. So you take that same swing on the road, and you're in business," Helton says.

:-o :-o

the death of Coors field as we know it

EDIT: ... thinking about this a little more.
That outfield is huge ..
This park could do a complete 180.
is it possible it could become a pitchers park?

like i mentioned earlier, it is now like the Marlins field
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby slomo007 » Wed May 17, 2006 3:34 pm

So now suddenly the Rockies are studs on the road and duds at home....crazy.

And I will no longer feel terrified to start Brandon Webb in Colorado. :-D That makes me very happy.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby acsguitar » Wed May 17, 2006 5:24 pm

Nerfherders wrote:. And the rookie Rodriguez has been fantastic.

I think you mean Ramirez?

Yea he's sick although he lost the other day but they'd been pitching him alot latley

Its not like the humidor add's some magical forumla to the ball.

It just keeps it at normal humidity. We have pretty much 0% humidty here in denver.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers