J. Thome Thoughts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

J. Thome Thoughts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

J. Thome Thoughts

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Mon May 15, 2006 2:04 pm

It's safe to say that Thome's exceeded pre-season expectations. He's a top hitter in all of MLB with a great stat line, and no signs whatsoever of a reemergence of his injuries. (knock on wood).

As such, what are our thoughts on him? Predictions for the season? Is he a good sell-high candidate, or is his value something to hold on to. For instance, on can easily see a Thome-for-Konerko trade, but Thome is currently ranked a few tens above Konerko.

Given the possibility of future (reemerging) injury, future cool-off, etc., is it time to get off the Thome train?
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bselig » Mon May 15, 2006 2:10 pm

Nah, stay on. The only way I'd get off (not that I'm on) - maybe - is if I could get a younger hitter like Teixiera. Thome is a high second round maybe late first caliber player, just like he was before last season. He's playing in the park that inflates homers more than any other, so you may even be able to expect better numbers than he had been putting up in the past. Obviously there's no reason to get off unless you get a superstar in return...
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon May 15, 2006 2:17 pm

this is bordering on belonging in the trade forum, but i digress. Thome's off to a fantastic start, but if i had him i'd have the injury worry in the back of my mind and would try moving him, even if i had to get a lesser player in return, just to ease my mind
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby mikhayl » Mon May 15, 2006 2:22 pm

I hope that both Jim Thome and Scott Rolen stay healthy for the whole season and play to their potential. That's two great stories right there and it's great for baseball.

They're both having awesome seasons and barring injury, there's no real reason to think they'll hit a wall. The way Thome is swinging and the way Rolen is diving down for bullets down the 3B line, there's no reason whatsoever to think that they have lingering aches and pains.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Mon May 15, 2006 2:29 pm

I myself am wondering where his BA will end up. He's at what, .297 now, down from .330 is earlier in the season. He's having more 0/4's and 1/4's lately, so I wonder.

Dan Lambskin wrote:this is bordering on belonging in the trade forum, but i digress.

I didn't think so. Really just talking about him as a player. Plenty of these types of posts in the Leftovers area every day.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mikhayl » Mon May 15, 2006 2:38 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:I myself am wondering where his BA will end up. He's at what, .297 now, down from .330 is earlier in the season. He's having more 0/4's and 1/4's lately, so I wonder.

Well, his healthy years in Cleveland, he was a .270-.300 hitter. He had Manny protecting him (or was it the other way around) and that's comparable to Konerko protecting him now. Right now, he's at about K/game; last full season he had with such a low K/game was 2002 when he hit .304 (.95 K/game), and 1996 when he hit .311 (.93K/game).

Thome's not a great hitter, he's a masher so I see his average falling between .270 and .300 again. I know that's a huge range, but I feel like his final BA is going to be determined by luck more than anything. If he can keep his Ks down, he should finish north of .285
Last edited by mikhayl on Mon May 15, 2006 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pangbones » Mon May 15, 2006 2:49 pm

I think his Avg will be somewhere around 275-280 at the end of the year. I think injury is always going to be a concern for him now. Remember in 2004, he hit 28 of his 42 HR's before the All Star break. He seemed to break down late in the the year that year. Maybe by playing exclusively at DH this year, that won't happen, I don't know. I would probably hang onto him though, as he could easily jack 50 bombs for the year.

I only wish I could have gotten over him screwing me last year, cuz with D Lee out, I could really use him. And I obviously didn't rank him high enough in the preseason. :~(
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Redefine9d » Mon May 15, 2006 3:12 pm

I just traded him for Manny in one of my leagues.
Redefine9d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 15, 2006 4:19 pm

Sell high if you're a nervous person in general.

Keep him if you can't get 1st round value and ride the Thome-train all year. :-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Ender » Mon May 15, 2006 4:32 pm

There is no reason to not sell him high if you can get a dependable 1st or 2nd round guy for him, its really a win win situation for him. Whether or not you should sell him high for a riskier 1st/2nd round guy or a solid 3rd round guy is another story, I probably would myself but I owned him last year :).
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers