It makes you wonder. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

It makes you wonder.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokeyjoe » Mon May 15, 2006 4:22 pm

knapplc wrote:I heard that Casserly did the draft because he’s been around the organization so long, he’s the one who built it and he’s the one who knows their needs better than anyone else. It’s highly unlikely that there was a conspiracy, IMO. Reports had the Texans talking to Bush and Mario Williams, but Bush’s contract demands were supposedly pretty steep, so they went with Williams. Besides, the Texans already have a good RB in D-Day. What they should have done was trade down and drafted O-Line, but then I don’t know that O-Line was a more pressing need than D-Line, though. The Texans are pretty much a mess. :-D

I think that's pretty much it.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon May 15, 2006 4:43 pm

reynolds80 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Simply put, I believe the Texans picked the better player in Mario Williams. The guy's a freak. Yeah, Bush is amazing and will be a lot of fun to watch, but what wins championships? ....

OK, let's say Houston decides that Mario is in fact a freak, and that Bush just isn't gonna be that good/doesn't fit the need/will be too hard to sign/etc etc...

Then why didn't they trade down to the #3 or #4 spot? They could have gotten extra picks and/or an established NFL player for the move, AND in all likelihood gotten Mario at #3 or #4.

Even in the unlikely event that Mario gets taken at #2 or #3, the bounty they would have gotten from the Jets or someone for the #1 spot and in effect Reggie Bush would have been HUGE.

That's my only beef with the decision. If you think that Williams will be better than Bush, that's fine, but you have to know the market. You could have traded down and got at the very worst an additional second round pick, and if you were smart, maybe even an end of the first round pick. I don't fault them for taking Williams over Bush, I do fault them for fumbling away a great opportunity to really improve their squad.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby baseball6791 » Mon May 15, 2006 7:39 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
reynolds80 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Simply put, I believe the Texans picked the better player in Mario Williams. The guy's a freak. Yeah, Bush is amazing and will be a lot of fun to watch, but what wins championships? ....

OK, let's say Houston decides that Mario is in fact a freak, and that Bush just isn't gonna be that good/doesn't fit the need/will be too hard to sign/etc etc...

Then why didn't they trade down to the #3 or #4 spot? They could have gotten extra picks and/or an established NFL player for the move, AND in all likelihood gotten Mario at #3 or #4.

Even in the unlikely event that Mario gets taken at #2 or #3, the bounty they would have gotten from the Jets or someone for the #1 spot and in effect Reggie Bush would have been HUGE.

That's my only beef with the decision. If you think that Williams will be better than Bush, that's fine, but you have to know the market. You could have traded down and got at the very worst an additional second round pick, and if you were smart, maybe even an end of the first round pick. I don't fault them for taking Williams over Bush, I do fault them for fumbling away a great opportunity to really improve their squad.

I agree with you, but there is no way it was a "conspiracy". The Texans made an informed decision about their football team, that I'm sure took into account many factors that none of us are aware of. Maybe it was because of money, maybe they just didn't think Reggie was going to be a good NFL back, maybe its because they loved the idea of a monster at DE who instantly improves their pass rush. Who knows, maybe they knew the Saints would take Williams at 2 and had him rated over Bush so by trading down they wouldn't have gotten either of their top 2. It may have been an odd decision, but it was not a conspiracy.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby KPucks » Mon May 15, 2006 8:12 pm

I don't think it was a conspiracy. Casserly's duties were being reduced while the new coach, Kubiak, got more decision making power. Also, Casserly is in pursuit of a position in the league office, so it is not like he was just fired. He saw greener pastures somewhere else, so he planned on leaving after the draft (there were reports of this before the draft). Also, I do not think he had nearly as much decision making power in this draft in the past. Kubiak influenced the draft strategy a great deal, and Casserly was there because he had been in charge of all the scouting throughout the year.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Re: It makes you wonder.

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon May 15, 2006 9:07 pm

reynolds80 wrote:Running backs touch the ball 25-30 times per game.

Reggie Bush averaged 16.8 touches (rushing attempts, receptions, kick returns, and punt returns) per game in his college career and 21.8 touches per game in his Heisman season. What makes you think he will all of a sudden get 25-30 touches per game in the NFL?

reynolds80 wrote:Defensive ends effect plays that are run to their side and all 5 and 7 step drop pass plays, but they do not effect plays that are run away from them or 3 step drop pass plays.

What about defensive ends who are so good they require a double team that helps free up one of their teammates? And often times if a team runs away from a good DE it is precisely because that DE is there. When Deion Sanders was in his prime teams would only throw to his side of the field a few times a game, does that mean he wasn't affecting the plays that didn't go towards him? The same thing happens to great DEs.

reynolds80 wrote:Defensive ends simply do not impact the game as much as running backs do.

This is where we differ. A good DE has as much impact as a good RB, and is a much safer picks. Fewer DEs drafted in the top 10 are busts than RBs drafted in the top 10, RBs have a greater risk injury, there were more questions surrounding Bush than Williams, and the Texans already had a pretty good backfield--not great, but it was definitely not their most pressing need.

You may think that Bush is the second coming of Gayle Sayers or Barry Sanders (as many people seem to) but there are just as many people (as evidenced by the comments in this thread) who disagree. I personally think he'll be pretty good, somewhere between a Dave Meggett type and a Warrick Dunn type, while Williams could be a game changing force on the defensive line.

Anyway, it's one thing to believe the hype on Bush, but quite another to allege a conspiracy involving the league, two teams, and at least one GM.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk