Peralta in the doghouse? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Peralta in the doghouse?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Peralta in the doghouse?

Postby Doughhead » Mon May 15, 2006 12:11 pm

From Yahoo!

May 14 The Lorain Morning Journal's Jim Ingraham reports Cleveland Indians SS Jhonny Peralta got a talking-to from manager Eric Wedge Saturday night, May 13, after Peralta hit a weak ground ball down the first base line that started foul but eventually rolled back into fair territory. Peralta never left the batter's box and was easily out when Detroit Tigers 1B Chris Shelton picked up the ball and stepped on first base to end the eighth inning of a 3-0 Indians loss to the Tigers. "He thought it was foul," said Wedge. "But the ball was too close to be sure of that."

Uh-oh. Doesn't sound like a big deal--but the last thing I want is for his work ethic to be questioned when he is hovering around the .250 mark. With Cleveland struggling offesively as a club, my fear is that Jhonny gets bumped down in the order, which would seriously affect his value and productivity. Episodes like this can only contribute to a diminished role for Peralta. :-o
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby yossarian » Mon May 15, 2006 1:51 pm

How much longer do I give this guy? We're a quarter of the way through the season and he still isn't producing. :-[
yossarian
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tomkatt » Mon May 15, 2006 3:25 pm

yossarian wrote:How much longer do I give this guy? We're a quarter of the way through the season and he still isn't producing. :-[

.260 - 4 HR - 20 RBI - 31 R

You could probably do a lot worse at SS than Jhonny.
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby p32bars » Mon May 15, 2006 3:42 pm

Jhonny is in no danger of losing his spot or finding his way into the doghouse. Peralta will be heating up once late May & early June roll around mark my words.
p32bars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby ChoneJohn » Mon May 15, 2006 5:33 pm

He may be in the doghouse, but he's their SS of/for the future. Drop him at your own risk...he's a slow starter and should be tearing the cover off the ball by early June.
Go Tigers!
ChoneJohn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby yossarian » Mon May 15, 2006 11:06 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. I can't drop him, of course. I just like to complain about him. It's really my own fault for reaching for him and drafting him too high because I really liked him coming into this season and there's a big Indians fan in our league I was afraid would reach for him.

I learned my lesson from V-Mart last season. :-[
yossarian
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby masarume » Tue May 16, 2006 8:03 am

well... what round did you draft him in?

I think I ended up drafting him with the 62nd pick of the draft in a keeper league. That's about a late 5th rounder to early 6th rounder in a normal 12 team league.

He really hasn't surprised me. His floor was going to be .240 with low power (4HR) and decent rbi cuz of his team (20rbi) while his ceiling could've been a whole lot more.

In the first year, I can only keep 4. Pujols, Vmart, and Peavy are no brainers, but I'm debating b/w Beltran, Peralta or Pierre.

Regardless, have faith that Perelta will start busting it out soon.
masarume

Hockey Mod
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby tomkatt » Tue May 16, 2006 8:43 am

masarume wrote:well... what round did you draft him in?

I think I ended up drafting him with the 62nd pick of the draft in a keeper league. That's about a late 5th rounder to early 6th rounder in a normal 12 team league.

He really hasn't surprised me. His floor was going to be .240 with low power (4HR) and decent rbi cuz of his team (20rbi) while his ceiling could've been a whole lot more.

In the first year, I can only keep 4. Pujols, Vmart, and Peavy are no brainers, but I'm debating b/w Beltran, Peralta or Pierre.

Regardless, have faith that Perelta will start busting it out soon.

I like Carlos out of those 3.
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Tue May 16, 2006 12:04 pm

You are mis-reading the statement. Wedgie was barking at Peralta, but he was talking to the whole team.

The Injuns have been playing piss-poor baseball of late and needed to be woken up. Better affects barking at Peralta than the biggest dog on the team of late: Belliard.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby yossarian » Tue May 16, 2006 1:10 pm

I'd keep Beltran of those 3.

As for Peralta, I took him in the *cringe* late 4th round of a 12 teamer. There was a little bit of a run on SSs and I totally paniced. Ugh. :-P
yossarian
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates