barrett vs. mccann - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

barrett vs. mccann

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

barrett vs. mccann

Postby unknownbreaker » Mon May 15, 2006 9:46 am

it seems like mccann has more upside since he's so young and they use him 5th in the order.

barrett's so old and hasnt really done much in most of his years playing until now.

i would think that mccann has much more upside than barrett, but what do you guys think?
unknownbreaker
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Upside

Postby freeling_prideful » Mon May 15, 2006 10:32 am

Hey,

Well there are a lot of ways to look at this. McCann does hit 5th for the Braves, but this isn't at all their preference, it's only b/c Francoeur is hitting so ridiculously bad right now. So once he starts getting a bit better, or someone else does, they will probably move McCann out of the 5th slot (keep in mind, he had to hit like .330 to earn the chance to hit there, and he isn't likely to keep that up).

He is a great hitter, esp. when you look at his plate discipline numbers. He's not a ludicrous walker, but he doesn't K all that much. The power is legit (catcher standards) and if anything he has shown slightly less power for the past few weeks than he actually has.

Barrett is older, but I heard some rumbles in the offseason about how he was working out pretty hard. Also, looking at Ao:Go ratios, it seems clear that he's swinging for the fences more and becoming more of a power hitter.

All told, I think McCann ends the year in the .280 range w/ maybe 12-15 homers, but Barrett could be around the same average and run it up to about 20.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TBallgame » Mon May 15, 2006 12:14 pm

I just dropped Barrett for McCann, so I am hoping McCann keeps this up. Barrett may pick it up again once Lee comes back. But right know he is playing like crap like the rest of the Cubs lineup
"I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated." Al McGuire
TBallgame
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stumpak » Mon May 15, 2006 3:17 pm

Without even bothering to look up McCann's history, you have to consider that rookie catchers quite often break down in their first MLB season simply because of they have never played in much more than 100 games in any given season. Combine this with Barrett's more proven track record, and I would tend to be more comfortable with him.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 15, 2006 4:18 pm

I dropped Barrett about a week ago and have not looked back since. In fact, he is still a FA in my 12 team mixed league if I should decide to change my mind. I won't anytime soon, however.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Wrong Forum!

Postby WebHamster » Mon May 15, 2006 4:40 pm

This thread has been eaten by the Webhamster. This typically happens to solitary posts that move too far away from their own kind. Please repost your question or issue in the appropriate forum where it can dwell among the herd of similar threads and where the mods will bravely protect it from the mean rodents. And please ... do not feed the Webhamster! Thank you.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 429)

Return to Baseball Leftovers