Advice on Matos - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Advice on Matos

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Advice on Matos

Postby red » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:59 pm

I admit I'm ignorant-- the numbers look good but I have not been following him. Flash in the pan? for real? I kow he was not listed among top Oriole prospects this last season on BA or any other site--- maybe that doesn't mean anything, maybe it does.
I have been offered a trade, in a keeper league:
I give: Robert Fick;
I get: Matos and Vince Perkins (decent SP prospect TOR system-- I do know him somewhat)

Yes, I could lose the first base position next year as Piazza will be eligible and that should be fine for my everyday first baseman.

Is this a good trade? Is Matos something worth getting?
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:22 pm

Well his plate discipline is still pretty lousy, but he seems to be for real. It's hard to tell if he can sustain this or not yet though.

A caution with Piazza is that there is no gurantee he will be 1B eligible next year. For one thing, he first would have to come back and play the proper number of games at 1B to get eligibility this year. For another thing, they apparently will leave him at C until he breaks the consecutive games record. And finally, there are rumours going around that he is demanding a trade because he's upset with them trying to move him to 1B, upset with Glavine and some other pitchers not wanting him to catch for him, and wants to go to an AL club where he'd split time between C and DH.

Whatever the case is, if he is catcher eligible, you'd be foolish not to use him there and trade for another 1B, given how much more productive Piazza is than any other C eligible player will be next year.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby red » Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:24 am

Well, I have Varitek so I'd probably move Varitek for a 1b but i know what you're saying.
basically i wanted to know something about matos. i'm still on the fence about it--
any thoughts from anyone else?
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kcs261 » Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:32 am

I don't like Matos' K-BB ratio. So I'm a bit skeptical. To me, that's a big indicator whether a guy can sustain a hot streak. That said, Rocco Baldelli has managed to be good all year long with close to the same ratio. So who knows? Maybe Matos can, too? I am not a believer YET, though. I kind of feel another Eric Byrnes.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Leiter Fan » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:00 am

jdh wrote:For another thing, they apparently will leave him at C until he breaks the consecutive games record. And finally, there are rumours going around that he is demanding a trade because he's upset with them trying to move him to 1B, upset with Glavine and some other pitchers not wanting him to catch for him, and wants to go to an AL club where he'd split time between C and DH.

Where on earth did you hear this stuff? I'm a huge Mets fan, and I have never heard ANY of this. The supposed plan is to split time for Piazza between 1B and C upon his return. He has stated publicly on numerous ocassions that he NEVER wants to DH, since his injury at the hands of Roger the Dodger (he believes that the existence of the position allows pitchers to behave like cowards). Plus, his numbers at DH during interleague play have been substantially lower at DH than when he's actually playing a position. I have also never heard of ANY pitcher on the Mets staff not wanting to pitch to him.

Just as an addition, I think that if handled the right way, a trade of Piazza to an American League team would probably be the best thing for the Mets - but the word EVERYWHERE in NY is that this will be a hard sell to Piazza, certainly not something Piazza is demanding.

Please give me a site or paste a specific article to back up your above statement, since to my knowledge, it contradicts everything that has ever been said about Piazza in the New York papers.
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby jdh » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:02 am

jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Leiter Fan » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:07 am

OK, that addresses the rumor, but the article you just sent me denies that any of this is true:

Piazza and Wilpon denied Sunday's report.

""How do you answer something so far-fetched?" asked Piazza. "It makes no sense. I don't know where that came from."

"I've spoken to Mike [in the past]," Jeff Wilpon said. "If he has any of those feelings, he hasn't expressed them to us."

Or any feelings about not moving to first base.

"When he does that, it's up to him, Art [Howe], and the coaching staff," Wilpon said. "He hasn't said 'I'm not going to do this.' "

Wilpon also said pitcher Tom Glavine has not told him or his father that he doesn't want to pitch when Piazza is catching. A source cited in The Record story said Glavine, who signed a $35 million free agent contract with the Mets last off-season, approached team's ownership about that possibility.

"My reaction is that there's absolutely no basis to it," Glavine said of the story. "This is another reason why you can't get people to come play here."

With that, Glavine picked up his glove and headed to the field for his off-day throwing session. When Vance Wilson asked if he wanted him to catch him, Glavine cracked a smile.

"No, I want Mike to catch me," he said.

I wil note that this article cites the rumors to The Record (a New Jersey paper, which explains why I never read about any of this in the NY press). I used to live in Jersey though, and the Record is a reputable paper that is certainly more reliable than, let's say, the New York Post. Was it Bob Klapisch who wrote the article for the Record? If it was, then I would take it a little more seriously, since he is usually known for getting his facts right.
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jdh » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:11 am

OK, well here is the original article this article was referring to:

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qst ... FlZUVFeXk2
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Leiter Fan » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:14 am

And in the meawhile, I actually found that the NY Daily News addressed Piazza's denial today. I hadn't even seen this article. My bad.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 320#106320
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DGroundhog » Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:17 am

I'd do it. I really don't think Fick is a great option as a 1B. He probably isn't going to increase his value any in his career either. I think we see his ceiling.

Matos on the other hand is a good prospect. He has an excellent work ethic, that he has 'borrowed' form Bernie Williams. He seems to have his head on straight, and is willing to work on the small things that will eventually make him a better player. He certainly doesn't have the 'Im here world, watch me shine' kind of attitude many top prospects have.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers