You know you'r getting to be an old baseball geezer when... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

You know you'r getting to be an old baseball geezer when...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby johnsamo » Mon May 15, 2006 4:53 pm

When you have a Julio Franco rookie card
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon May 15, 2006 4:55 pm

johnsamo wrote:When you have a Julio Franco rookie card

Better yet...when you were around when Julio Franco was REALLY born. ;)
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby AKhomebrewer » Mon May 15, 2006 5:15 pm

The first game I ever attended was a spring training affair when the Indians were based at Tucson's Hi Corbett Field.

It was against the Seattle Pilots. ;-)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby schmidty » Mon May 15, 2006 6:19 pm

Professional sports has a way of making you feel old ...

... when a player is referred to as "aging" and having his skills deteriorate with age ... and then you realize you're older than the guy they're talking about :,-( It's a bit of a shock the first time this happens. Then you just get used to it after a while. !+)
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Y`s Guy » Mon May 15, 2006 6:59 pm

It hasn't happened yet but it will be a sad day when I am older than every major leaguer out there.

My earliest memory of a live game was Chris Chambliss going deep to win the championship series against the Royals. If I was watching then I was obviously a fan. I just don't remember any images before that.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 275)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby johnsamo » Mon May 15, 2006 7:47 pm

My earliest memories were the Tulsa Oilers seeing Hernandez, Gary Templeman on their way to the cards,... Then watching WGN and WTBS games as a kid. Sandburg, Murphy, Gaylord Perry, those guys. A totally NL watcher as kid, only saw the AL during the playoffs when they were playing the Big Red machine or the Pirates. Might explain my hatred for the DH.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon May 15, 2006 9:10 pm

damonhater wrote:Ya know your old when you know that Pete Lacock's dad was a gameshow host and you actually remember Pete Lacock and your not a Royals fan

X gets the square.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: You know you'r getting to be an old baseball geezer when...

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon May 15, 2006 9:13 pm

johnsamo wrote:you compare some current player to Dave Kingman or Mitch Williams on this site and the kids are like, who?

The good thing about being comparatively old school is, you have cool things like Ricky Henderson rookie cards... The kids today just can't imagine what it was like back when Topps was the only game in town.... Getting a really good player in a pack was actually a big deal... Now every other card is A-rod or Pujols. Used to you'd have to go through pack after pack before you found a Ryan or a Reggie Jackson.

God only knows what I could sell my collection for on ebay. I've even got a rookie Jim Palmer. Traded for it when I was 12 from a kid who stole it from his Dad's collection... Got it for a late 70's Cecil Cooper & Rovin YOunt card... the kid was a Brewers fan, what can I say.

Baseball cards have been ruined just like stamp and coin collecting was. They print so many and then have these idiotic "special editions". mint editions, proof sets, etc or whatever to cater to the collectors. It's a baseball card for pete's sake. It is not supposed to be a commodity item when it is created.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Broncmet724 » Tue May 16, 2006 5:56 am

My first memories were the Pirates winning the World Series and the TV station playing We are Family. Willie Stargell and Dave Parker were awesome.
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby markj11 » Tue May 16, 2006 11:22 am

johnsamo wrote:this is old school... when your favorite player is a kid was Keith Hernandez because you saw him play in the minors.

Watched Darryl Strawberry and Gregg Jefferies play AA. If you were a card collector in late 80's you defintly know Gregg Jefferies. I also have a Dave Parker and Dave Winfield rookie. Favorite players: D. Murphey and B. Madlock.
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers