You know you'r getting to be an old baseball geezer when... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

You know you'r getting to be an old baseball geezer when...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

You know you'r getting to be an old baseball geezer when...

Postby johnsamo » Mon May 15, 2006 4:27 am

you compare some current player to Dave Kingman or Mitch Williams on this site and the kids are like, who?

The good thing about being comparatively old school is, you have cool things like Ricky Henderson rookie cards... The kids today just can't imagine what it was like back when Topps was the only game in town.... Getting a really good player in a pack was actually a big deal... Now every other card is A-rod or Pujols. Used to you'd have to go through pack after pack before you found a Ryan or a Reggie Jackson.

God only knows what I could sell my collection for on ebay. I've even got a rookie Jim Palmer. Traded for it when I was 12 from a kid who stole it from his Dad's collection... Got it for a late 70's Cecil Cooper & Rovin YOunt card... the kid was a Brewers fan, what can I say.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Getting Old

Postby bigjimblue » Mon May 15, 2006 4:51 am

I realize I'm getting old because I call so many of today's players by theit dad's first name!
bigjimblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby damonhater » Mon May 15, 2006 9:09 am

Ya know your old when you know that Pete Lacock's dad was a gameshow host and you actually remember Pete Lacock and your not a Royals fan
damonhater Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Re: You know you'r getting to be an old baseball geezer when

Postby nolanwood » Mon May 15, 2006 9:15 am

johnsamo wrote:you compare some current player to Dave Kingman or Mitch Williams on this site and the kids are like, who?

The good thing about being comparatively old school is, you have cool things like Ricky Henderson rookie cards... The kids today just can't imagine what it was like back when Topps was the only game in town.... Getting a really good player in a pack was actually a big deal... Now every other card is A-rod or Pujols. Used to you'd have to go through pack after pack before you found a Ryan or a Reggie Jackson.

God only knows what I could sell my collection for on ebay. I've even got a rookie Jim Palmer. Traded for it when I was 12 from a kid who stole it from his Dad's collection... Got it for a late 70's Cecil Cooper & Rovin YOunt card... the kid was a Brewers fan, what can I say.

Wild thing....you make my heart sing....
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Y`s Guy » Mon May 15, 2006 9:47 am

How much money did we throw away by playing topsies at school. Or by loading up our spokes with cards to get that 'whack-whack-whack" sound when we rode our bikes.

:~(

And I can still smell the bubble gum in every pack.

I own the 1983 Topps set. Bought every pack to get it done and even attended card shows to hunt down those singles that completed it. Ripken was a second year player. The set had rookie Boggs and Gwynn.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby damonhater » Mon May 15, 2006 9:49 am

oh my go topsies........i ruled the schoolyard. Broke my wrist, practices for a month lefty came back and ruled again. Looking back kinda stupid how many valuable cards did i ruin?
damonhater Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Re: You know you'r getting to be an old baseball geezer when

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon May 15, 2006 10:33 am

johnsamo wrote:Getting a really good player in a pack was actually a big deal... Now every other card is A-rod or Pujols. Used to you'd have to go through pack after pack before you found a Ryan or a Reggie Jackson.

But now the pieces of cheap cardboard are shiny! With topographical bumps on them to give a marginal 3D effect! And the expensive inserts with 1cm x 1cm pieces of game worn fabric.. wow!

(sigh) I miss those old days of card collecting. I find it hilarious that people are willing to pay $10-$15 for a 'pack' of cards that only includes one card. Then there's all that grading system stuff where anything of worth must be encased in a very hard case and given a decimal value. It's unreal.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby damonhater » Mon May 15, 2006 10:36 am

Kind of reminds me when Charlie Brown kept getting Joe Shlobotnik cards all the time
damonhater Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pochucker » Mon May 15, 2006 12:12 pm

Ahh the old days. One of my first baseball memories was the 1959 World Series! Mazeroskis home run -- like yesterday. Koufax -- vision of perfection.
Goin to bed at night sneaking new fangled "transistor" radio to bed with me, listening to Bob Prince , Ernie Harwell, Harey Carey, Mel Allen.
Listening to the 64 Phillies collapse nightly. Damn im old!
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby 5 » Mon May 15, 2006 12:15 pm

when I watch games and I recognize greybeard base coaches or announcers...
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers