What direction should I take my team in? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

What direction should I take my team in? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What direction should I take my team in? WHIR

Postby langston » Mon May 15, 2006 1:56 am

(this is my first time doing a fantasy-anything tho, so i dunno if i'll be a ton of help.)

I'm in 5th place in an 8 PERSON YAHOO ROTISSERIE league (stat categories: R, H, HR, RBI, SB, CS, BB, IBB, K, E, W, L, CG, SHO, SV, BB, HBP, K, WP) Here's my roster:

C - J. Estrada
1B - L. Berkman
2B - T. Iguchi
3B - C. Blake
SS - J. Reyes
OF - A. Jones
OF - I. Suzuki
OF - C. Beltrán
Util - J. Giambi
BN - P. Konerko
BN - O. Cabrera
BN - R. Weeks
BN - K. Griffey Jr.

SP - P. Martínez
SP - T. Glavine
RP - M. Batista
RP - B. Ryan
P - B. Arroyo
P - A. Harang
P - F. García
BN - A. Pettitte
DL - J. Contreras

Right now I am dead last in hits and homers, and am next to last in runs. I thought I did really well last week when I acquired Iguchi, Reyes, Berkman and BJ Ryan in a trade, but now I realize I have NO idea who I should be starting. I've got a lot of depth at 1b now but I can't use all of it. I'd like to keep Konerko at 1b, but the only way I can start both him and Berkman is to put Berkman at OF... which means benching Ichiro or Beltran. Further muddying issues is my SS situation - I think Cabrera is a better rounded player than Reyes and has more 'pop', but starting Ichiro and Reyes has kept my SB total pretty high. And if I started Weeks in place of Iguchi, who is again much more well-rounded, I think I'd be guaranteed the lead in SBs. But it would probably be at the expense of a bunch of other stats, ones which I'm already pretty far behind in. One idea I'm entertaining is trying to trade Konerko and Reyes for Curt Schilling, who I'd be able to start at RP.

I guess what I'm looking for is someone to explain to me what my ultimate strategy should be with a rotisserie-scoring league - is it 'too late' for me to try and pull ahead offensively (runs, hits, HRs) since I'm already farthest behind? The style of scoring makes it so that the standings don't shift much, and any changes are kind of sluggish in happening. Which has left me at a loss as far as recognizing if the direction I'm trying to go in is actually working - results don't come fast, so I guess I don't know if anything I'm doing is actually right.
langston
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bugsyhawk » Mon May 15, 2006 9:55 am

This is what I would do....

If Konerko is not going to play, then you have to move him. He can't rot on your bench. You could get a solid pitcher for him... schilling does always have injury concerns. Also, Harang and Arroyo are red hot right now, so they have a lot of trade value. you could try to get a more established pitcher. Also, you could look for a stud MI.

Just a thought.
Bugsyhawk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team