Cardinals game/Chris Carpenter situation question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cardinals game/Chris Carpenter situation question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cardinals game/Chris Carpenter situation question

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sun May 14, 2006 9:40 pm

Today Chris Carpenter was removed from the game for a pinch hitter in the 6th inning.

Carpenter went 5 innings so he was eligible for a win. But he was pinch hit for in the 6th. My question is, if Carpenter was pinch hit for before the winning run scored, would he still be eligible for a win?

Even if he left the game courtesy of a pinch hitter, before the go ahead run crossed the plate?

:-?



Cardinals 6th
Miguel Batista pitching:


David Eckstein: Strike looking, Ball, Strike swinging, Ball, Ball, Eckstein grounded out to second.

John Rodriguez: Foul, Strike swinging, Foul, Ball, Rodriguez reached on an infield single.

Albert Pujols: Strike looking, Ball, Ball, Pujols popped out to first.

Jim Edmonds: Strike swinging, Ball, Pickoff attempt, Foul, Edmonds singled to right, Rodriguez to third.

Scott Rolen: Ball, Rolen reached on fielder's choice to shortstop, Rodriguez scored, Edmonds to second on shortstop Counsell's fielding error.

Scott Spiezio: Ball, Foul, Foul, Ball, Ball, Spiezio walked, Edmonds to third, Rolen to second.

Yadier Molina: Ball, Ball, Ball, Strike looking, Molina singled softly to left center, Edmonds and Rolen scored, Spiezio to second.

Aaron Miles: Luis Vizcaino relieved Miguel Batista, Eric Byrnes in center, Ball, Ball, Strike looking, Ball, Foul, Miles hit by pitch, Spiezio to third, Molina to second

bSo Taguchi hit for Chris Carpenter.

So Taguchi: Ball, Strike looking, Ball, Strike swinging, Foul, Taguchi struck out swinging.

End of Inning (3 Runs, 3 Hits, 1 Error)
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1613
(Past Year: 14)
Joined: 30 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rainman23 » Sun May 14, 2006 9:46 pm

Sure. What's the alternative? LaRussa picks a guy at random from the bullpen to go in and get credit for the win?
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 937
Joined: 19 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sun May 14, 2006 9:48 pm

rainman23 wrote:Sure. What's the alternative? LaRussa picks a guy at random from the bullpen to go in and get credit for the win?


yeah i know but baseball has some quirky rules. it seems like they would have given the win to pujols or something...

:-°
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1613
(Past Year: 14)
Joined: 30 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CeeLoGreen » Sun May 14, 2006 10:19 pm

Yahoo isn't giving Carp credit for a win...
Basically I'm complicated.
I have a hard time taking the easy way
I wouldn't call it schizophrenia
But Ill be at least two people today

If that's OK

And I can go on, and on, and on...

But who cares?
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2534
Joined: 22 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Where Ever I'm At

Re: Cardinals game/Chris Carpenter situation question

Postby Hobbes » Sun May 14, 2006 10:21 pm

Krunk City King$ wrote:Today Chris Carpenter was removed from the game for a pinch hitter in the 6th inning.

Carpenter went 5 innings so he was eligible for a win. But he was pinch hit for in the 6th. My question is, if Carpenter was pinch hit for before the winning run scored, would he still be eligible for a win?

Even if he left the game courtesy of a pinch hitter, before the go ahead run crossed the plate?


Carpenter is still the pitcher of record until a new pitcher enters the game. As long as a new pitcher has not begun pitching, Carpenter is still the pitcher, even if he is replaced as a batter or runner.
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 403
Joined: 18 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sun May 14, 2006 10:23 pm

CeeLoGreen wrote:Yahoo isn't giving Carp credit for a win...


they did not score the go ahead run in the last inning that he pitched. carp got a no decision. i was asking a hypothetical question.
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1613
(Past Year: 14)
Joined: 30 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cardinals game/Chris Carpenter situation question

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sun May 14, 2006 10:24 pm

Hobbes wrote:
Krunk City King$ wrote:Today Chris Carpenter was removed from the game for a pinch hitter in the 6th inning.

Carpenter went 5 innings so he was eligible for a win. But he was pinch hit for in the 6th. My question is, if Carpenter was pinch hit for before the winning run scored, would he still be eligible for a win?

Even if he left the game courtesy of a pinch hitter, before the go ahead run crossed the plate?


Carpenter is still the pitcher of record until a new pitcher enters the game. As long as a new pitcher has not begun pitching, Carpenter is still the pitcher, even if he is replaced as a batter or runner.


gotcha..
;-D
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1613
(Past Year: 14)
Joined: 30 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball


Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BALCO All-Stars, germani40, Izenhart, MSNbot Media, RyanHoj and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Apr. 16
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Atlanta at Atlanta
(12:35 pm)
NY Yankees at NY Yankees
(12:35 pm)
Chi Cubs at Chi Cubs
(1:05 pm)
Detroit at Detroit
(1:10 pm)
Cleveland at Cleveland
(3:40 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:05 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Texas
(7:05 pm)
Kansas City at Houston
(7:08 pm)
Toronto at Minnesota
(7:10 pm)
Boston at Chi White Sox
(8:05 pm)
LA Angels at LA Angels
(8:10 pm)
Oakland at Oakland
(8:10 pm)
San Diego at San Diego
(8:10 pm)
Colorado at Colorado
(10:05 pm)
San Francisco at San Francisco
(10:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at LA Dodgers
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact