pass on hamel, wait for weaver? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

pass on hamel, wait for weaver?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Webster11 » Sun May 14, 2006 11:09 am

Yoda wrote:Unless you are playing in a keeper league, Hamels is a far better option for this season. He's been dominant so far this year everywhere he's pitched... And he is already up and has a job.

Ya in a one year league I like Hamels better. Hes up sooner so hell have the oppurtunity to produce for a longer time, and hes on fire right now. I was thinking more for keeper league owners when i posted Billingley over Hamels though
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Sun May 14, 2006 12:20 pm

Hamels has more upside than Billingsley and Weaver. However, he is also a tremendous injury risk, so it is an unknown how long he can stay off the DL. Throughout the minors, he's just had a huge rash of injuries, from barfights to elbow problems. I would personally get him if you can and then cash in on the hype after a few starts...before he gets hurt presumably.

Sele seems to be pitching well out of the last spot for LA and I still don't think Odalis is done for good. I'm not sure how much time Billingsley will get this year, but I doubt it will be as much as Hamels. I would also rather have Billingsley as the safer pick in the long run in keepers, but Hamels has more upside.

Weaver was always considered the closest to the majors. However, since he was drafted in 2004, after Hamels (2002) and Billingsley (2003), the fast track isn't as important. That being said, since Hamels and Billingsley were HS players while Weaver went to college, he has been in the minors for a while.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dewey finn » Mon May 15, 2006 12:16 pm

Well I lost the Hamels hype waiver pick up in my 18 team league and now I have #4 priority.

Looks like it'll be either Weaver or Billingsley for me.
dewey finn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Ender » Mon May 15, 2006 12:19 pm

Everyone got into a frenzy over Kendrick too and he's on the FA list in all 4 of my leagues already.

Moral of the story is don't get too upset if you miss out on any prospect. Not only are none of them sure things, many will hit the waiver wire again this year and you'll get another crack at them. If Hamels goes out and gets knocked around twice in a row there is a good shot you'll still be able to get him.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby mikhayl » Mon May 15, 2006 12:25 pm

Niffoc4 wrote:uhh... Hamels doesn't have the question marks of Weaver (Big Flyball tendencies), and has been more dominant than Billingsley, so if I had to settle for one of those two, I think I would be upset (especially Weaver)

Billingsley will get to pitch half his games at Dodger Stadium while Hamels starts half his games at Citizens Bank Park. Not claiming to be an expert on either Hamels or Billingsley, park factor is enough for me as it's the only thing I'm sure of.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

So what parks are considered to be pitchers or hitters parks

Postby vykeengfan » Mon May 15, 2006 1:28 pm

mikhayl wrote:
Billingsley will get to pitch half his games at Dodger Stadium while Hamels starts half his games at Citizens Bank Park. Not claiming to be an expert on either Hamels or Billingsley, park factor is enough for me as it's the only thing I'm sure of.

Ok, I'm pretty new at this, and I really don't know too much about major league parks (I'm a fantasy football guy). So, which of these stadiums are pitchers parks, Dodger or Citizens? I know that wherever Washington plays is a pitcher's park. What other stadiums are considered pitchers parks? Sorry for the ignorance.
vykeengfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: So what parks are considered to be pitchers or hitters p

Postby mikhayl » Mon May 15, 2006 1:49 pm

vykeengfan wrote:
mikhayl wrote:

Ok, I'm pretty new at this, and I really don't know too much about major league parks (I'm a fantasy football guy). So, which of these stadiums are pitchers parks, Dodger or Citizens? I know that wherever Washington plays is a pitcher's park. What other stadiums are considered pitchers parks? Sorry for the ignorance.

Actually, Washington plays in a football stadium, but that's another story. :-P

Here's a link that tracks park factor for the season through this week. Basically, the more a park factor number is above 1.0, the more a hitter is favored in that particular statistic. The more the park factor number is below 1.0, the more a pitcher is favored in that particular statistic.

As a few stadiums made changes to their outfield this offseason, I'd go with the article I'm linking to rather than the historic numbers. Beware the smaller sample size though.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby yossarian » Mon May 15, 2006 1:55 pm

So ummm.....when is Billingsley being called up?

It's time to begin THE BILLINGSLEY WATCH!

;-)
yossarian
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers