Burnett Owners - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Burnett Owners

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Burnett Owners

Postby pigskinnhorsehide » Sat May 13, 2006 12:59 pm

I think this is the correct forum because I don't want to trade or drop him, just looking for some opinions but is anyone else getting tired of this %@#$. I've been patient so far but...

This is the latest from fanball.com--
"THE NEWS
Blue Jays pitcher A.J. Burnett played catch on Friday for the first time since aggravating his right elbow on April 21. He made 25 throws from roughly 60 feet away. "You like to see progress," manager John Gibbons told MLB.com. "You still don't know how far off he is. Hopefully, we'll get him back by June." Burnett sprained his ulnar collateral ligament and strained scar tissue during his April 21 outing and was placed on the disabled list.

Our View
Baby steps, right? Fantasy owners shouldn't expect Burnett to return any time soon, but it's good to see him start the throwing process."

Any thoughts on him? Thanks
pigskinnhorsehide
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pigskinnhorsehide » Sat May 13, 2006 1:29 pm

Am I the only one still hanging on to A.J.? OUCH!!! :-o
pigskinnhorsehide
College Coach
College Coach

Postby nolanwood » Sat May 13, 2006 1:40 pm

I'm hanging on to him too...I actually snagged him off the wire in a deep league a few weeks ago. I'm getting really impatient with this pansy, though.
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Blakas » Sat May 13, 2006 2:10 pm

I'm holding onto him as well. If I get a productive half season out him at this stage, I'll be happy.
Blakas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mrider » Sat May 13, 2006 2:12 pm

Your going to get him back by June and when he comes back he will be good. I think he really isn't hurt that badly at all the Jays just want him completly healthy if it means later then they will do that but I think he will be good when he comes back.
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Blakas » Sat May 13, 2006 2:18 pm

^^^ Hope you are right. Barely holding second in my pool and would do some real good to get Sheets and/or Burnett back in regular rotation.
Blakas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bdrotoronto » Sat May 13, 2006 2:23 pm

mrider wrote:Your going to get him back by June and when he comes back he will be good. I think he really isn't hurt that badly at all the Jays just want him completly healthy if it means later then they will do that but I think he will be good when he comes back.

The doctor who examined Burnett last month (the same one who performed his initial Tommy John surgery) felt that there was nothing physically wrong with AJ's elbow, and he should be good to go pretty soon. The scuttlebutt I'm usually hearing around here is that the Blue Jays management are actually pretty pissed the way this whole thing has worked out, and believe that about 95% of Burnett's ailments here are in his head. That said, that might be the toughest kind of thing to come back from (see Mitch Williams, BK Kim, Rick Ankiel, etc etc..)

That's apparently what $55M gets you nowadays. :-[ But the Jays really need him to come back and contribute well, Towers has been awful, Janssen you don't really know if he's capable of anything, and Chacin might be hurt too.. :-o :-o
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pigskinnhorsehide » Sat May 13, 2006 3:09 pm

Alright, thanks guys. Maybe I just needed some reassurance. You know misery loves company! :-° ;-D
pigskinnhorsehide
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Laean » Sat May 13, 2006 3:20 pm

yeah you definitely can't drop him. but honestly, i think he was being liked too much by some people in drafts. how is he different from kerry wood now for fantasy purposes this year?

say what you will about kerry wood, but he does give you 100+ innings per season, and except for his worst season always gives you sub 4 ERA and bunch of Ks. even in his worst season, he still K-ed a ton and had like 1.10 whip or something. what will AJ Burnett do this year? coming back to the AL East, i doubt he finishes below 4 ERA and Ks at a rate of 1 K / 1 IP. and this guy was drafted in like every single league, while kerry wood was often times a FA pick up.

i'm not saying i knew AJ would be as worthless/valuable as wood this year, but i did know he was the kind of guy you let someone else take a risk on because their values on inflated and aren't worth where you'd have to draft them to get them (ala bonds, prior, dontrelle, etc. admittedly, i also had carpenter on this list as well, but 3 out of 4 isn't bad).

i predict that when AJ returns, he'll give you around 4.10 ERA, 1.20+ whip, at best 7K/9IP, and some Ws. this is if he doesn't go back on DL. wood will give you 3.50+ ERA, 1.10-1.25 WHIP, 9K/9IP, and less Ws than burnett. all in all, i wouldn't care who i had, except for the fact that if i had wood it'd probably be for free. (hmm there's a joke in there somewhere ....)
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Sat May 13, 2006 6:12 pm

I traded Benson for him when Kris was hot a few weeks back. I'm very happy keeping him in my DL spot for the time being. H2H playoffs aren't for another what... 16 weeks? That's all I'm counting on him for.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers