Make Or Break Performances - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Make Or Break Performances

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jeff D'Amico

Postby Chicago » Mon May 13, 2002 1:35 pm

I didn't even give Jeff D'Amico a "Make Or Break Performance." It was merely a string of mediocre starts finished off by him getting rocked, and I dropped D'Amico for 5 game winner Rodrigo Lopez, SP Baltimore Orioles. The only thing D'Amico has going for him these days is his low WHIP: 1.05, something he has had his entire career.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mktgteach » Mon May 13, 2002 4:01 pm

Well lets see, I play in two head to head leagues. Recently waiver wire drops by me.....

Nomo (the crane technique doesn't work on me Danielsan)
Lilly (Torre would rather go with Hitchcock who cannot get minor league batters out, but he gets a major league starting spot?)

I disagree with Fogg. All pitchers will get shelled a couple of times. Even the Johnsons, Schillings, Mussina, etc. If he gets shelled 2-3 times b/t now and the All-Star break, then he can go and hang out with Dan Reichert on the wire.

My big watch this week is Kenny Rogers. No, not the singing chicken man. Is he for real, or will he fall back to earth?

I am out. ;-D
Go Hokies!
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby nkeitt » Mon May 13, 2002 9:03 pm

My three on the bubble at the moment are Mora, Vina and Beltran, one of whom will likely have to go as soon as Josh Beckett gets off the DL (apparently tomorrow since he is listed as a probable starter).
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Mon May 13, 2002 9:08 pm

Not-too-bold prediction: Kenny Rogers will come down to earth very soo...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby EugeneStyles » Mon May 13, 2002 10:51 pm

I wouldn't bother pitching Beckett right off the DL in Colorado. He hasn't been all that great yet anyway, he's bound to be rusty, and, well... humidifying the balls can only do so much.

Not that I don't think he'll be a stud, but tomorrow may not be the day for it...
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby uanap » Mon May 13, 2002 10:54 pm

Roy Halladay....................is KILLING me. I was just about to drop him and he pitches a great game against the M's. Then, I figure, ok, I'll keep him a while and see how he does in his next start. Another W and a solid outing. Now watch, I guarantee he gets bombed the next time out. With his last two starts I would normally start him, but I'm going against that this time. Sorry, just had to vent.
uanap
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby nkeitt » Tue May 14, 2002 12:00 pm

Thanks for the advice about Beckett. That'll hopefully give me enough time for Nevin to go on the DL and then it's a non-issue.

And speaking of Halladay KILLING you, I know the feeling - except the other day it was because I forgot to check who was starting and I had him and his 8 k's on the bench :~(
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Tue May 14, 2002 12:19 pm

I feel for you, uanap and nkeitt. It seems like having a player who is always riding the pine when he does well, but starting when he bombs, is an unavoidable part of fantasy baseball. A while ago, I had Andy Benes on my squad. His era at one point was a decent 3.50 (or so - I don't recall the exact numbers); his era when active for my team was 8.something... :-P In the end, I traded him and felt a lot better.

(Agree with EugeneStyles about Beckett, by the way, even if it wouldn't allow you to perform that nice DL shuffle. He's parked on my bench tonight, too.)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby uanap » Tue May 14, 2002 9:24 pm

I'm with you nkiett. I had Halladay on the bench for his last two starts. Gotta to love the roller coaster ride.
uanap
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Wed May 15, 2002 3:41 am

Ok, I blew the call on Beckett (instead, I brightly started Hudson... :-P ). Oh well. Can't win 'em all...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers