Make Or Break Performances - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Make Or Break Performances

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Make Or Break Performances

Postby Chicago » Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:10 pm

I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to pointing out your upcoming make or break performances. For instance, those upcoming pitching days or batting weeks where you decide whether to keep or drop a player, or just a general pointing out of why you dropped or picked up a player.

For instance, Josh Fogg's next pitching appearance may decide for me whether I keep or drop him. A bad performance will mostly likely land him on the waiver wire, but I'll have to consider keeping him if he's merely mediocre, say, if he allows something like three runs in six innings.

For those interested, Fogg's next date is Thursday against L.A. Fogg's last start was riddled with control problems, walking 4 batters in 5 innings.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

joining in

Postby cwebb » Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:55 pm

I'll join you in the weather watch, and I do hope it's getting foggy again!
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby EugeneStyles » Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:39 pm

Get this... some guy offered me Brad Ausmus and Kip "rubber-arm" Wells for Josh Fogg. And this is in the league where I have 3 catchers that are better than Ausmus (granted, Marrero's hot streak could very well be over already).

Knowing his interest in Fogg, though, has got me thinking about trading the Pirates phenom away. I guess we'll just have to see how he does when he's not playing my hapless Cubs.

I think Fogg might just be in the same boat as Ishii... keep him for the first half of the season, then trade him away for some proven talent.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Arlo » Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:45 pm

Grreat idea for a thread :->

I still like Fogg - he'll put up good numbers, but he'll also frustrate you at times as he struggles. In a non-keeper league, if you can trade him based on his current stats (meaning above his value), it might be a good idea.

Interesting comparison between Fogg and Ishii. I think you're right, but the reasons for being wary of them are somewhat different: with Ishii, league familiarity could be an issue; for Fogg, fatigue may set in.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby timkell » Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:06 am

I'll try to get back to the original thread and keep this away from just being a Fogg thread. I just picked up Tomko and have him on reserve in a head to head league. I had one other player who was expendable for now, and I thought he was worth keeping on the bench for another two starts. I saw the game this past weekend when he struck out 13. He was lights out. I couldn't let another guy grab him in my league, but I'm still not convinced he's a keeper. I'll watch him in the next two starts to see if he's consistent enough to be the real deal. If so, that will be a hot closer (Gagne) and a hot starter pulled off the waiver wire! Fingers are crossed.
timkell

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:30 pm

Jon Rauch's next start definitely falls into this category: if he doesn't perform well, the odds are high that he'll lose his rotation spot...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Chicago » Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:04 am

Ahh, Matt Clement, you teased me with all those K's, then I picked you up off the waiver wire, and today you gave up four runs in 5.2 innings. But you did strike out 6. Ok, I'm giving you one more chance. Now sit down next to Mr. Fogg on that fence.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Foggy Weather

Postby Chicago » Thu Apr 25, 2002 9:15 pm

There was a report of heavy Fogg today at the Dodgers vs. Pirate today. What a pitching performance, no earned runs and 7 K's in 5 innings. He's earned a spot on my rotation for at least a couple more starts.

Now, Mr. Clement, will you be taking a seat next to Mr. Fogg, or with Pat Burrell and the rest of the players I released long ago?
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Thu Apr 25, 2002 9:20 pm

I'm not considering releasing him, but one guy I'm getting impatient with is Jose Ortiz. How 'bout a little more playing time, please?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby nkeitt » Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:14 am

Living in England, I don't get to see any games, but I still have a couple of guys on the bubble. I am thinking of waiving C.C. Sabathia if he gets killed again and picking up Jorge Julio, to get some more saves.
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers