Sleepers Who Deserve More Attention.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sleepers Who Deserve More Attention....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sleepers Who Deserve More Attention....

Postby Warpigs » Sat May 13, 2006 5:55 am

There are two players that I think will turn in great overall years that are, for some reason, not getting much attention in various leagues. Both have turned in good performances in the past and are primed to have big seasons -- yet many seem skeptical...

Mike Lowell. Once one of the best 3B options in fantasy baseball two years ago, Lowell fell off the end of the fantasy world after an abysmal 2005 campaign. However, why couldn't Lowell once again be a stud player? A new team (Boston) and a new start for this third baseman with 2b eligibility (in most leagues) could be just what the doctor ordered. Lowell has done fairly well so far this season, although his home run totals are still sub-par. Could someone tell me why Lowell is still unowned in most leagues -- again especially with 2b eligilibity?

Khalil Greene. Two years ago, Greene was considered one of two rookie shortstops that had the potential to be something really special (the other being BCrosby). Greene struggled through a sophomore slump last year, but I still wonder why so many seem surprised with Greene's hot start to 2006. Why couldn't someone with Greene's huge potential be finally emerging a true threat? We all know that his batting average is questionable and overall consistency a concern -- but consistency and plate discipline can come with maturity, and it appears to me that Greene is succeeding this year because he's starting to mature as an MLB player.

I'm not a fantasy baseball expert by any means -- but I've felt strongly about both these players from day one this year. Is it time that both receive more attention and recognition as comeback sleeper options for 2006?
Warpigs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby orange12 » Sat May 13, 2006 9:12 am

Mike Lowell is owned in 3 out of 4 of my leagues so you're not the only one who thinks he's a good gamble.

Khalil Greene on the other hand is owned in none of my leagues. I'm pretty sure his biggest downside is that batting average which has hovered around .200 all of April and only now is slowly going up. I think for most people, having 7 homeruns come out of the SS position is not enough to offset the huge hit to BA.
orange12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Warpigs » Sat May 13, 2006 9:27 am

orange12 wrote:Mike Lowell is owned in 3 out of 4 of my leagues so you're not the only one who thinks he's a good gamble.

Khalil Greene on the other hand is owned in none of my leagues. I'm pretty sure his biggest downside is that batting average which has hovered around .200 all of April and only now is slowly going up. I think for most people, having 7 homeruns come out of the SS position is not enough to offset the huge hit to BA.

But don't you think there is a decent shot that Greene continues to work on his plate discipline and improves his BA? If his average wasn't an issue, he'd be a top five ss right now, fantasy-wise. Now, looking at him this past week, he hit near .300 (.296 to be exact). The idea of a sleeper is that this is someone you grab while others are leary -- only to have them blow up big in the near future.
Warpigs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby benjapage » Sat May 13, 2006 9:37 am

i think you're on point.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Sat May 13, 2006 10:13 am

I've been pimping Cuddyer since Spring Training.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby j24jags » Sat May 13, 2006 2:55 pm

if you're in a deep league (14+), want someone with position eligibility who will steal bases, look for Esteban German. He swiped 43 bags in 117 games in AAA last year and now is starting at 3rd I think, he is also eligible in the OF
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby klvrdude » Sat May 13, 2006 3:04 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again....

Derek is flying Lowe on the radar.

He's pitching well and, if the pen can fly right, he'll eventually get some wins to prove it. Not bad for a $1/WW pitcher IMHO.
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Red Stripe » Sat May 13, 2006 3:06 pm

I've got a good one for a deep league, he's probably a better spot starting type pitcher though than a sleeper you want to keep on your team though.

Aaron Cook

Has gone over 6 IP every outing this year and hasn't given up more than 4 ER in a game this year. You can't use the Coors excuse for not owning this guy either because here's his home/away splits this year

Home- 2.79 ERA 1.21 WHIP .265 BAA
Away- 4.58 ERA 1.42 WHIP .289 BAA

Not much of a strikeout guy considering he's only got 19 in 48.1 IP but he's not going to kill your ERA or WHIP. Plus he's in the NL West, so he'll be facing a good amount of bad offenses.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chris_dubyuh » Sat May 13, 2006 3:07 pm

If you need SBs Lofton will be playing more in center because of Repkos absence, plus he has 8 bags already, and is playing well right now. I would rather have Lofton than Roberts.
chris_dubyuh
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Postby Red Stripe » Sun May 14, 2006 11:05 am

Red Stripe wrote:I've got a good one for a deep league, he's probably a better spot starting type pitcher though than a sleeper you want to keep on your team though.

Aaron Cook

Has gone over 6 IP every outing this year and hasn't given up more than 4 ER in a game this year. You can't use the Coors excuse for not owning this guy either because here's his home/away splits this year

Home- 2.79 ERA 1.21 WHIP .265 BAA
Away- 4.58 ERA 1.42 WHIP .289 BAA

Not much of a strikeout guy considering he's only got 19 in 48.1 IP but he's not going to kill your ERA or WHIP. Plus he's in the NL West, so he'll be facing a good amount of bad offenses.

Last night at Houston

6.1 IP 5 H 2 BB 1 ER 6 K

I might be picking him up soon.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers