Reds fire Boone, Bowden - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Reds fire Boone, Bowden

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:40 pm

benjapage wrote: the payroll excuse is thin: oakland athletics is all i have to say about that.

Agreed Agreed

benjapage wrote: Miley is brilliant. he knows how to win, and to do so with limited talent. i anticipate a strong second half from my redlegs, and agree that it would be wise to ship boone for pitching prospects.b

I sure hope Miley is brilliant. The Red's have a ton of talent. The problem is that Bowden loaded up on OF's and the market is Flooded with "Avg Joe OF".

Move Boone/Dunn for Pitching. That should get them two or three arms.
Play ...
Casey @ 1B
Jimenez @ 2B
Lopez @ SS
Larson @ 3B
Guillen, Kearns, (any one of what? .. 50 other's in the last spot.)

You can blame Bowden for being impatient over his 10 years and making some questionable decsions but the Ken Griffey thing is what blew up in face. Not really his fault. If Griffey was even 75% of the player he signed, today would be very different for him.

As for Boone. he is an idiot. Why? His "Magic 8 Ball" quit dispensing bubble gum long before he came to Cin. Can I list his Credits ..

Worst defense in baseball
Worst Strikeout rate (offense)
190-238 as Cincy Manager.
4 man rotation switch in the middle of the season.
Worst Player development (in history?) I mean Ryan Dempster and Danny Graves used to know how to pitch right?
And of course my favorite Adam underdeveloped Dunn. Now Adam has started to hit a little lately, but don't get your panties in a bundle. It won't last. At least we know he won't be batting leadoff anymore. :-) Bye Bye Boob (Boone)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby charlie hustle » Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:48 pm

Lopez @ short............are you serious? Anyways, he's out for the season in AAA.

They won't trade Dunn, he's only making $300,000
charlie hustle
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby benjapage » Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:15 pm

i sincerely believe that ranier olmeido can hold down that job at short. he's a hussla, and at 21 has shown an incredible instinct and tough work ethic.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby wrveres » Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:17 pm

charlie hustle wrote:Lopez @ short............are you serious? Anyways, he's out for the season in AAA.

They won't trade Dunn, he's only making $300,000

You are correct sir. Lopez is done for the year. And Guillen/Boone will most likely be sent packing. Hopefully they will send Wagner back down and develop him into a SP. Bring him back up next Spring. The only problem with that is he has logged a ton of innings this year. College season started in FEB.

Maybe they could move one of there 50 different OF/MI to LA, SEA for some pitching, and salvage this season. It's not like anybody is running away in the Central.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:18 pm

All I have to say is that winning is very diffucult without any pitching. Until the Reds get some pitching, they are in trouble no matter who the manager is.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wrveres » Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:36 pm

Is Ray Knight managing the game from the 3B coaching box? Anybody? I just love that. ;-D That is where a manager belongs, in the caoching box closest to his dugout. 1B or 3B. IMO
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ondeckb » Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:46 pm

charlie hustle wrote:What are the chances that Pete Rose is this next manager for the Reds????

Zero. 8-o
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chaindog35 » Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:49 pm

The problem with the Reds is no starting pitching. Maybe this is Bowden's fault, but he seems the clear one to blame. As far as the Reds being stacked with talent, i don't think this is at all true. If they were, then every team would want to trade with them. They currently only have 3 OFs that they can play, the infield of casey, jiminez, castro/olameda, boone doesn't exactly strike fear into the hearts of other teams. They've tried to deal Griff and Dunn, but no one is willing to give much for them. The Reds just don't have any prospects to trade for SP. No one wants Dunn or Griff and they don't have the starters to develop. As far as wagner goes, he was a born closer. Making him into a SP would be a huge mistake.
chaindog35
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby charlie hustle » Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:52 pm

Who has turned Dunn done? He has not been offered to anyone. San Diego wanted him and the Reds nixed the deal. I think Guillen, Boone, White, Williamson and Heredia could be traded in the next week.
charlie hustle
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wrveres » Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:14 pm

charlie hustle wrote:Who has turned Dunn done? He has not been offered to anyone. San Diego wanted him and the Reds nixed the deal. I think Guillen, Boone, White, Williamson and Heredia could be traded in the next week.

for prospects?
Larkins 10 million give them some extra room to pickup a free agent this winter. They should start with a number one pitcher and work from there. Get a Ponson or a Vaz in the winter, that type of thing. I could see Williamson in SF maybe setting up in NYY is possible too.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers