Reds fire Boone, Bowden - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Reds fire Boone, Bowden

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Reds fire Boone, Bowden

Postby chaindog35 » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:13 am

Bob Boone and Jim Bowden were both fired today by the Cincy Reds. Ray Knight is expected to take over for the Reds temporarily as manager. Personally, I think the Reds are idiots for doing this. As a Reds fan I am appalled. Jim Bowden has managed to put a competitive team on the field despite salary restrictions ($65 Mil), injuries (Griffey, Kearns), and veteran contracts that take up a big chunk of salary (Griffey and Larkin). Boone has managed to win with players like Jose Guillen, Juan Castro, Felipe Lopez and a pitching staff filled with guys who would barely be 5th starters on most teams. This is just a bad move.
chaindog35
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ondeckb » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:30 am

As a KC fan who watched the Boone-o-meter in the local paper list as many as 130 different lineups in a single season when he managed here, I got to say......about time! As for Bowden, I don't know squat about him, but anyone who kept Boone around that long can't be too bright. Good move, Cincy! ;-D
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby benjapage » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:39 am

um, i totally disagree with your viewpoint. this move is fantastic. how overrated is bowden? wow. the reds lose because he hasn't put a competitive team on the field. salary restrictions, injuries and veteran contracts (he's partially to fault for the latter) are not unique to the reds' situation.

you're right that boone hasn't had much to work with (a statement that reflects bowden's ineptitude), but he doesn't allow the players to establish a rhythm. he's a chemistry killer. he started a FOUR-MAN rotation in mid-season, for chrissakes...he was a great catcher back in the day, has fathered two good baseball players of today, and should now just sit back and feel good about that.

http://www.firebobboone.com

i'm glad, my spirit is renewed. i love dave miley.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby phunkadelic » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:48 am

It's about time!

Now if Lindner and John Allen could only find a way to fire themselves the Reds might be able to start moving themselves in the right direction.

I could go on for hours on why both of these idiots needed to be fired, but I think I'm going to go celebrate instead :-D
phunkadelic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby charlie hustle » Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:09 pm

What are the chances that Pete Rose is this next manager for the Reds????
charlie hustle
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby chaindog35 » Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:18 pm

Well, the argument about bowden I can agree with in some ways. However, the pitching stinks because the owners didn't allow him to add payroll, the veteran money is tied up in Griff (no one could have seen these injuries coming) and larkin ( the fans were ready to hang people if he wasn't resigned). Boone did toy with the lineup more than was necessary, but again i think this had a lot to do with trying to get the best team out on the field and considering how many different guys have played this year, it really doesn't surprise me. As far as Bowden goes, his worst fault was not trading or drafting good prospects. I don't know if he can take all of the blame, but the reds need some SP prospects badly.
chaindog35
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby wrveres » Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:39 pm

Its about fricking time ... Boone not so much but at least Bowden. He was horrible. Outside of Griffey, Boone, Kearns, Larkin, He has about 15 Avg. outfielders, 15 Below average MI, and 15 Long Relivers (he calls them starters) in the organization. Is this what they expected in Cicny moving into a new park? Bowden never game Boone a chance and Boone never gave anybody else a chance until he was forced into a player situation.

Look for Aaron Boone to be moved soon too. Seatlle? I mean they did just fire his dad. What kind of motivation will he be playing with?

On the bright side. Larkin's 10 mill. contract will be gone next year and I imagine Ken Griffey Jr. will be sold off for a prospect. The next 5 players this organiztion hires should be starting pitchers. IMO.

I already sent in my application.... GM, not Manager .. Who is Dave Miley anyways? Well here ya go ....

Press Release wrote:Reds make front office, field staff moves
Contracts of Bowden, Boone & 2 coaches will not be renewed

CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Reds chief operating officer John Allen today announced that the contracts of general manager Jim Bowden, field manager Bob Boone, hitting coach Tom Robson and third-base coach Tim Foli will not be renewed in 2004.
All were relieved of their duties this morning.

Dave Miley, a 23-year veteran of the Reds organization, will manage the club on an interim basis through the end of this season. He will join the team tomorrow.

Bench coach Ray Knight will manage the Reds in this afternoon's game against the Philadelphia Phillies and beginning tomorrow will work as the club's hitting coach and third-base coach. Bullpen catcher Mark Berry will serve as bench coach.

Bowden was not replaced.

An extensive search to fill the field manager and general manager positions permanently will begin immediately and will reflect the affirmative hiring policies of the Reds and Major League Baseball. The Reds do not expect to fill either position until after the 2003 World Series.

Miley, 41, becomes the 57th manager in Reds history, the 47th since 1900. He joins the Reds from Class AAA Louisville, where he was managing for the fourth consecutive season. Miley has been the organization's Class AAA manager since 1996 and during that span compiled a 610-506 record (.547) at Indianapolis (1996-99, 314-261, .546) and Louisville (2000-2003, 296-245, .547).

Miley's career record as a minor league manager is 1,115-841 (.570), and in 1998 he was named the International League's best managerial prospect. He was 1997 IL Manager of the Year at Indianapolis and 1995 Southern League Manager of the Year and Class AA Manager of the Year while at Chattanooga.

Miley signed with the Reds as a catcher and played 7 minor league seasons before he became a coach. For most of the last 16 seasons he was a coach, instructor or manager in the club's minor league system. Miley was the bench coach on the Major League staff in 1993 under manager Tony Perez.

Bowden was named general manager in October 1992. During his 11 seasons, the Reds went 829-830 (.499) with 1 playoff appearance and finished above .500 four times.

Boone was named field manager in November 2000. He went 190-238 (.444) for the Reds, including 66-96 in 2001, 78-84 in 2002 and 46-58 (.442) this season. His lifetime record as a Major League manager is 371-444 (.455).
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby wrveres » Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:40 pm

double post sorry
Last edited by wrveres on Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby slomo007 » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:05 pm

The Reds are coming out with passion today...they scored 4 in the first inning against Randy Wolf. I love the Reds, but why do they have to change their losing ways against my pitcher.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby benjapage » Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:23 pm

the payroll excuse is thin: oakland athletics is all i have to say about that.

the veteran money is tied up because bowden tied it up. who's fault is that?

boone toyed with the lineup more than was necessary. period. when half of the line-up has no idea if they're a starter, you will not establish rhythm. you will not establish chemistry.

miley is brilliant. he knows how to win, and to do so with limited talent. i anticipate a strong second half from my redlegs, and agree that it would be wise to ship boone for pitching prospects.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers