Should Dusty Baker be fired? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Chicago Cubs

Should Dusty Baker be fired?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:20 pm

Yeah, I know Jody Davis is actually a minor league manager. I think the Cubs should go that route...a young up and coming type guy rather than someone who's been through the ropes and fired by multiple teams. I mean, Joe Girardi would have been perfect...too bad he's signed for like 4 years by the Marlins.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby ThatDude » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:03 am

Cleveland Steamers wrote:Yeah, I know Jody Davis is actually a minor league manager. I think the Cubs should go that route...a young up and coming type guy rather than someone who's been through the ropes and fired by multiple teams. I mean, Joe Girardi would have been perfect...too bad he's signed for like 4 years by the Marlins.

Here's what I know about Girardi. He's loved by most all Cub fans, and he was a bench coach for the Yankees. Right now, he's got a bunch of kids that would likely play the same regardless of who was coaching. That's just not enough of a resume for me to want him as the manager.

Does he over-emphasize small ball tactics? Does he know how to manage a bullpen? There's plenty of question marks still about his managing skills.

Again, I'm not saying he wouldn't be an upgrade over Dusty, and I like Joe as much as the next guy, but being an upgrade from Dusty and being good aren't necessarily the same thing.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ironman » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:38 am

ThatDude wrote:
Cleveland Steamers wrote:Yeah, I know Jody Davis is actually a minor league manager. I think the Cubs should go that route...a young up and coming type guy rather than someone who's been through the ropes and fired by multiple teams. I mean, Joe Girardi would have been perfect...too bad he's signed for like 4 years by the Marlins.

Here's what I know about Girardi. He's loved by most all Cub fans, and he was a bench coach for the Yankees. Right now, he's got a bunch of kids that would likely play the same regardless of who was coaching. That's just not enough of a resume for me to want him as the manager.

Does he over-emphasize small ball tactics? Does he know how to manage a bullpen? There's plenty of question marks still about his managing skills.

Again, I'm not saying he wouldn't be an upgrade over Dusty, and I like Joe as much as the next guy, but being an upgrade from Dusty and being good aren't necessarily the same thing.

Joe wouldn't destroy the Cubs young guys like Dusty is doing.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby ThatDude » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:38 pm

ironman wrote:
ThatDude wrote:

There's just no way to know for sure how Joe would treat this staff, he hasn't had enough time on the job to make any accurate assessments of his coaching abilities or trends.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ironman » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:27 pm

ThatDude wrote:
ironman wrote:
ThatDude wrote:

There's just no way to know for sure how Joe would treat this staff, he hasn't had enough time on the job to make any accurate assessments of his coaching abilities or trends.

Fair enough, but I still say one can make a fairly safe assumption that Girardi's management wouldn't stifle a young player's development as badly as Dusty has.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mayor Daley » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:10 pm

I can get Dusty a nice job with Streets and Sanitation picking up garbage in the alleys.

After all, he has tons of experience managing garbage. ;-D
Mayor Daley
College Coach
College Coach

Postby EugeneStyles » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:00 pm

Mayor Daley wrote:I can get Dusty a nice job with Streets and Sanitation picking up garbage in the alleys.

Umm, I think you can only do that if Dusty's your cousin or something.
(taps little picture of a microphone)... is this thing on?
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby ironman » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:12 am

Mayor Daley wrote:I can get Dusty a nice job with Streets and Sanitation picking up garbage in the alleys.

Yes his experience managing trash has allowed him to make arrangements already for his next job.

VP of fan relations for the White Sox. :-D
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby crazyforbaseball » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:31 am

I would like to see Ryno get a shot.
crazyforbaseball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby EugeneStyles » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:42 am

I really don't think that Ryno is much of a leader, and I don't think he'd make a very good manager. I don't really know what he's been doing since retirement (maybe he's been a coach somewhere?), but he always seemed more of the quiet type that knows how to play and gets things done, but not a vocal leader or a teacher.
(taps little picture of a microphone)... is this thing on?
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Chicago Cubs