Should Dusty Baker be fired? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Chicago Cubs

Should Dusty Baker be fired?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ThatDude » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:59 pm

Before I continue, I have to ask a question. Why do you cram players first initial in with their last name?

Anyway, Prior and Wood are two different cases, and shouldn't be lumped together like you are doing. I'm not ready to give up on either of them, but I think management is about done with Wood, and so be it.

Yes, the time they have missed has been both significant and detrimental, but it's not the huge problem you make it out to be. The biggest problem has been, and remains to be, the horribly inconsistant offense.

Prior and Wood being on the DL has never been the reason the Cubs don't score enough runs, even with all the homers they hit, and that goes all the way back to when Sammy was good.

As for your question to what Prior's "actual value" is, whatever it is, it's greater than we would get back in trade for him.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:26 pm

some thoughts:

Wood is NOT worth 13.5mm next year, no matter how good he could be. He will not be worth 13.5mm. I like the guy a lot, but this is business. Time to part ways. I wish him the best and will root for him at every turn.

Prior is a mystery thus far. can't blame him for a line drive off the elbow and his potential is well worth his salary.

compared to ML staffs elsewhere, the Cubs is still not half bad.

Regardless of pitching, the offense is a major hinderance. ThatDude is right in that regardless of who we had on the mound, the shitbag offense made it not matter. There are myriad reasons for the offense sucking that are well detailed in the aggregate elsewhere.

tell me one thing dusty is good at and i'll give you 3 weaknesses that far override it.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby ThatDude » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:13 am

RugbyD wrote:Wood is NOT worth 13.5mm next year, no matter how good he could be. He will not be worth 13.5mm. I like the guy a lot, but this is business. Time to part ways. I wish him the best and will root for him at every turn.

I agree completely.

I won't mind at all if the Cubs can re-sign Kerry to a heavily incentive laden deal with a hometown discount included, but I don't see that as being very likely.

If that kind of deal can't be worked out, I'll take my chances on one of the many young arms on the farm, since the FA starter market for next year is extremely unimpressive and there's no cure for the offensive woes in the minors. That's where the FA money needs to be spent.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ironman » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:15 am

ThatDude wrote:
RugbyD wrote:Wood is NOT worth 13.5mm next year, no matter how good he could be. He will not be worth 13.5mm. I like the guy a lot, but this is business. Time to part ways. I wish him the best and will root for him at every turn.

I agree completely.

I won't mind at all if the Cubs can re-sign Kerry to a heavily incentive laden deal with a hometown discount included, but I don't see that as being very likely.

If that kind of deal can't be worked out, I'll take my chances on one of the many young arms on the farm, since the FA starter market for next year is extremely unimpressive and there's no cure for the offensive woes in the minors. That's where the FA money needs to be spent.

Yeah, one would hope that one of those SP's in AAA Iowa will emerge next season, whether it be Guzman, Hill, or someone else. Is Maddux back next year? Because if he is the Cubs without Wood could still have a rotation of Prior, Marshall, Zambrano, Miller, Maddux.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby ThatDude » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:30 am

Wood and Maddux are both FA's after this season.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cubsrock » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:26 am

I wouldn't be surprised if maddux retires if he continues to play like he has in may and june. I'd like to see the cubs loose wood. Everybody was saying he would be the next Randy Johnson, but really he's more like the next chan-ho park. I think the cubs should keep prior (unless they can get someone really good in a trade). He's not really injury prone like wood, he's just really unlucky lol.
cubsrock
College Coach
College Coach

Postby reznorsboy » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:14 pm

Dusty has had plenty of chances!! I like Dusty but it is time for a shake-up!!
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ironman » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:07 pm

For those scoring at home. The Cubs are now in last place in the MLB for runs scored. Yep, even the frickin' Royals score more than them!

How can this be? Especially when Dusty starts proven run producers like Neifi Perez at 2B. ;-7

Someone needs to tell him that when D-Lee came back that he was to send Nevin and Neifi to the bench, not make them full-time starters.

Oh well, I guess he's following the rules of Tracyball.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:32 pm

I have to say that if the Cubs resign Dusty Baker, I will throw in the towel as a Cubs fan until a new manager comes to the helm. I will not endure another year with a POS manager who continues toact like he's the show. I think its about time to ditch the ridiculous wrist bands and stupid toothpick. I dont care if they hire Jody Davis, I'll accept anyone as long as Baker is gone.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby ThatDude » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:14 pm

Cleveland Steamers wrote:I have to say that if the Cubs resign Dusty Baker, I will throw in the towel as a Cubs fan until a new manager comes to the helm. I will not endure another year with a POS manager who continues toact like he's the show. I think its about time to ditch the ridiculous wrist bands and stupid toothpick. I dont care if they hire Jody Davis, I'll accept anyone as long as Baker is gone.

Maybe you were just pulling a name out of a hat or maybe you already knew this, but Jody is currently managing the A-ball Peoria Chiefs, and doing a pretty good job of it judging from the handful of games I've been to.

Jody would be a massive upgrade from Baker, but I kinda like him down on the farm with the kids.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Chicago Cubs