Should Dusty Baker be fired? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Chicago Cubs

Should Dusty Baker be fired?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should Dusty Baker be fired?

Postby os_gamejunkie » Sat May 13, 2006 12:35 am

All injuries aside, I just don't he's cutting it. The Cubs need a hardass like Larry Bowa, Lou Pinella or Bobby Valentine.

Any thoughts?
os_gamejunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ironman » Mon May 15, 2006 12:21 pm

I'm ready for Dusty (and Hendry) to go, but I don't like the above three to take over.

Piniella doesn't deserve another managing gig, ever.

Bobby V and his fake 'stache can go to Hades.

Ahh hell, who am I kidding, just as long as they never played Neifi Perez or Roberto Novoa, they'd be a better manager than Dusty.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby stevethumb » Mon May 15, 2006 3:35 pm

should have been fired last october
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby os_gamejunkie » Mon May 15, 2006 4:59 pm

ironman wrote:I'm ready for Dusty (and Hendry) to go, but I don't like the above three to take over.

Piniella doesn't deserve another managing gig, ever.

Bobby V and his fake 'stache can go to Hades.

Ahh hell, who am I kidding, just as long as they never played Neifi Perez or Roberto Novoa, they'd be a better manager than Dusty.

Man, I almost forgot about the Goucho mask.

I wasn't saying Bobby-V per say, I just think they need a hardass in there.
os_gamejunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cubsrock » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:18 am

I like Dusty, I think he should stay. Hendry is one of the best GMs in baseball, it would be idiotic to get rid of him. He's the one that got all our good players, A ram, lee, murton, garciaparra (sucked last year, but was a big improvement over gonzo in 2004) He also managed to get us a good leadoff hitter in the off season, as well as Jones who is a BIG improvment over burnitz in every aspect of the game.
cubsrock
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ironman » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:38 pm

cubsrock wrote:I like Dusty, I think he should stay. Hendry is one of the best GMs in baseball, it would be idiotic to get rid of him. He's the one that got all our good players, A ram, lee, murton, garciaparra (sucked last year, but was a big improvement over gonzo in 2004) He also managed to get us a good leadoff hitter in the off season, as well as Jones who is a BIG improvment over burnitz in every aspect of the game.

I'm not sure who you're watching but Pierre has been garbage at lead-off so far this year and Jones, while slightly better offensively than Burnitz isn't as good as him defensively.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby EugeneStyles » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:57 am

ironman wrote:I'm not sure who you're watching but Pierre has been garbage at lead-off so far this year and Jones, while slightly better offensively than Burnitz isn't as good as him defensively.

You can't blame Hendry for J.P. Pierre is a career .300 hitter. There's no reason for him to be hitting .240 this year. If anyone besides Pierre himself is to blame, it has to be Dusty.

Listen, so many people are saying, "you can't blame the manager the Cubs just don't have players." That's B.S. The Cubs have some great players. A lineup of Juan Pierre, Todd Walker, Derrek Lee, Aramis Ramirez, Michael Barrett, Jacques Jones, Matt Murton, and Ronnie Cedeno... That's a pretty good lineup. The first 4 players can all be counted on to hit around or better than .300 (at least, you should have been able to count on that, looking at past performance). Murton is hitting around .280, which is about what you could expect out of him. Jones, Barrett, and Cedeno are all actually overachieving at this point, hitting over .300. As far as power, Walker should be good for about 20 HR as a full-time starter, Ramirez is capable of 40, and Barrett and Jones should be good for 20 to 30 as well. D-Lee, if he was in the lineup, was obviously capable of 40, and Murton and Cedeno should produce around 10 each. Put that together, and it's a pretty good major league lineup. There's no Pujols, Rolen, and Edmonds in the middle of it, but it's not the Pittsburgh Pirates either.

And the pitching staff of Zambrano, Maddux, Wood, Marshall, and Rusch really isn't a bad rotation. Rusch has been shaky, but he was pretty good last season, and there was no way to know that Jerome Williams would be so horrible either.

The bench was a shambles, it's true, but I think Hendry has made some good moves to improve that, finally. So I don't see how anyone can say that this is a "minor league team", or that they "just don't have the players". They have the players. If they can't win, get rid of Dusty.
(taps little picture of a microphone)... is this thing on?
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby ThatDude » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:34 am

EugeneStyles wrote:You can't blame Hendry for J.P. Pierre is a career .300 hitter. There's no reason for him to be hitting .240 this year. If anyone besides Pierre himself is to blame, it has to be Dusty.

Hendry is the ONLY one to blame for Pierre. I hated this trade when it happened, and I hate it even more now. When we look back at this trade after 5-10 years, this will certainly go down as the worst trade Hendry made, and hopefully not one of the worst trades the Cubs ever made.

Pierre has been, is now, and will likely always be, garbage. It's just that simple. That's because he is a pokey, slappy hitter with good legs and a complete inability to take a walk, and absolutely no power whatsoever. With his wheels and 6 years in huge ballparks (COL and FLA), the fact that he never had a single season of 40 combined XBH's is inexcusable.

He is not a career .300 hitter, he is a hitter whose AVG will fall somewhere between about .275 and about .325, with an OBP about 50 points higher. That's horribly inconsistant, and that's because he relies so much on pure luck to get his hits. That means you just can't count on that career .300 AVG you mentioned.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ironman » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:58 am

ThatDude wrote:
EugeneStyles wrote:You can't blame Hendry for J.P. Pierre is a career .300 hitter. There's no reason for him to be hitting .240 this year. If anyone besides Pierre himself is to blame, it has to be Dusty.

Hendry is the ONLY one to blame for Pierre. I hated this trade when it happened, and I hate it even more now. When we look back at this trade after 5-10 years, this will certainly go down as the worst trade Hendry made, and hopefully not one of the worst trades the Cubs ever made.

Pierre has been, is now, and will likely always be, garbage. It's just that simple. That's because he is a pokey, slappy hitter with good legs and a complete inability to take a walk, and absolutely no power whatsoever. With his wheels and 6 years in huge ballparks (COL and FLA), the fact that he never had a single season of 40 combined XBH's is inexcusable.

He is not a career .300 hitter, he is a hitter whose AVG will fall somewhere between about .275 and about .325, with an OBP about 50 points higher. That's horribly inconsistant, and that's because he relies so much on pure luck to get his hits. That means you just can't count on that career .300 AVG you mentioned.

Exactly, the guy hardly walks at all, so if he's not hitting, he's not getting on-base. The drop-off in Pierre's OBA and AVG last season should've been a warning.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RugbyD » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:27 pm

ironman wrote:
ThatDude wrote:
EugeneStyles wrote:

You can't blame Hendry for J.P. Pierre is a career .300 hitter. There's no reason for him to be hitting .240 this year. If anyone besides Pierre himself is to blame, it has to be Dusty.

Exactly, the guy hardly walks at all, so if he's not hitting, he's not getting on-base. The drop-off in Pierre's OBA and AVG last season should've been a warning.

Wrigley is a horrible setup for the leadoff stereotype. if anyone should be fully aware of this, it is Hendry. Dusty should get the ax for several reasons: bringing Neifi into my life (and Hendry for listening to Dusty on that one), not offering anything in the way of intelligent comments, testicles, visible leadership, semblance of handling a bullpen, attempting anything in the way of a consistent batting order, not knowing what a hit & run is, i could go on, but its time to go get lunch.
Last edited by RugbyD on Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Next

Return to Chicago Cubs