Less heralded minor leaguers who may be close? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Less heralded minor leaguers who may be close?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Less heralded minor leaguers who may be close?

Postby Galt » Fri May 12, 2006 7:08 pm

I'm in a keeper league that has a 5 person minor league bench. As you would expect, most of BAs top 75-100 for this year, are either on people's major league or minor league rosters.

I have a couple guys on my minor league roster that are way far away and who also struggling mightly at A+ ball (Carlos Gonzalez, Marcus Sanders)

Is there anyone who is in the minors right now (they can't have every played in the majors) that has a chance to get called up this year and produce to the point where they have a full-time job and valuable in fantasy leagues next year? I'm thinking maybe someone who may be a closer next year, or who plays at a very thin position.

My other three guys are Ian Stewart, Erick Aybar, and Hunter Pence
Galt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JohnR » Sat May 13, 2006 8:25 am

Closers are very hard to predict. 2 guys who jump immediately to mind though are from San Francisco. Merkin Valdez was converted to closer a year or two ago and is currently in AAA. In their AA affiliate, Johnathan Sanchez has been working as the anchor and has a pretty nice K rate. Craig Hansen is probably taken I presume?

One guy going unnoticed in almost every ML draft I'm involved in is Miguel Montero. Hes a catcher in the Arizona organization and probably gets a crack at Estrada's job next spring (if Estrada leaves, which I think he may). Another catcher is George Kottaras in SD. Only has a declining Piazza in front of him.

2B has Kevin Melillo of Oakland. pretty good prospect and might get a shot eventually, depending on Ellis, etc. Eric Patterson I assume is taken as well? I'd take him before Melillo probably although he may be a half year or more further away than Melillo.
The one constant through all the years has been baseball. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again...This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again.
JohnR
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MrSnider » Sat May 13, 2006 9:59 pm

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Braves blog/beat writer David O'Brien reported in his blog yesterday that Will Startup will likely get called up this season and could get a shot at the closer's job if Reitsma goes south. Startup is dominating guys in the Southern League (AA).
MrSnider
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BoilerATC » Sun May 14, 2006 4:09 am

Kevin Whelan in the Tigers org is going to be a real nice closer.
BoilerATC
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Minor League & College Baseball