Premier, MLB ready SP prospects - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Premier, MLB ready SP prospects

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nuggets » Fri May 12, 2006 6:24 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
nuggets wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Anthony Reyes should be on the list.

he's kind of risky IMO, what does the others think though.

About as risky as Hamels. I agree he should be on the list.

the thing is that Hamels has put together a nice stretch now and is looking promising, the risk is still there but we can see some of the promises. Reyes hasn't. And if Hamels hasn't shown anything this year(for example, the Hamels of 2005 wouldn't make it), he wouldn't make the list.

personally, I like Scott Olsen better than Reyes, just me though.

Reyes this year in the minors:
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/ ... pid=435039

Looks like the HR rate is a little high and he does play in home park with a HR factor of 1.00.

It's not bad or great, but he is worthy of being called up when Ponson fats out.

Reyes would have a good pen and offense so he might get a bump in Wins over Hamels.

I made then comment in reference to injury risk and age mainly.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j24jags » Fri May 12, 2006 6:34 pm

Havok1517 wrote:A few years ago Angel Guzman was Cole Hamels. Injuries have derailed most of the hype but he could srtill be a stud. Also, does anybody have better stuff than Zumaya? Is that even possible? Granted I think he's destined to be a stud closer because of his motion, but he's unhittable when he's on!

yea Zumaya has ridiculously electric stuff, I see his future as a dominant closer, i just dont see him developing into the starter that some think he could be
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby hybrid » Fri May 12, 2006 6:35 pm

nuggets wrote:I wouldn't have guessed you'd put Billingsley so high, any reason in particular?

Well to sum it up: He has great stuff - 3 plus pitches, great make up / mentality, durability, and the Dodgers have taken the right path with him and letting him develope.

Havok1517 wrote:A few years ago Angel Guzman was Cole Hamels. Injuries have derailed most of the hype but he could srtill be a stud. Also, does anybody have better stuff than Zumaya? Is that even possible? Granted I think he's destined to be a stud closer because of his motion, but he's unhittable when he's on!

The thing w/ Guzman though was his injuries were more serious. His stuff isn't as good as it used to be, where as Hamels hasn't had a serious injury to the degree of his stuff not being the same as what it was when he was drafted.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Havok1517 » Fri May 12, 2006 6:44 pm

Hybrid, where you think Hammel, Davis, & Neimann stack up?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby hybrid » Fri May 12, 2006 6:54 pm

Well Hammels is more or less a nice back of the rotation pitcher, I don't expect much out of him. If he could pitch decent and be an innings eater, I'd be happy.

Ah Neimann, heck i wish he would pull a Cole Hamels and storm into the majors. But it's hard to say right now, I believe he is expected back in a month or so and it should be easier to tell then. His stuff and control need to come back for him to be the pitcher most thought he would be.

On Davis, man if he could just get the walks down. He is dominating Low A and could prolly even pitch well in High A right now, but he won't get past that till he can improve his control. He has the stuff to be a top pitching prospect, he is just raw and needs more time.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Havok1517 » Fri May 12, 2006 7:49 pm

Sowers and Hirsh are mentionable
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri May 12, 2006 10:54 pm

nuggets wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
nuggets wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Anthony Reyes should be on the list.

he's kind of risky IMO, what does the others think though.

About as risky as Hamels. I agree he should be on the list.

the thing is that Hamels has put together a nice stretch now and is looking promising, the risk is still there but we can see some of the promises. Reyes hasn't. And if Hamels hasn't shown anything this year(for example, the Hamels of 2005 wouldn't make it), he wouldn't make the list.

personally, I like Scott Olsen better than Reyes, just me though.

Reyes this year in the minors:
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/ ... pid=435039

Looks like the HR rate is a little high and he does play in home park with a HR factor of 1.00.

It's not bad or great, but he is worthy of being called up when Ponson fats out.

Reyes would have a good pen and offense so he might get a bump in Wins over Hamels.

I made then comment in reference to injury risk and age mainly.

Reyes has a mid 3 ERA with about a k per inning.

Hamels had 1.77 ERA in one level and a sub 1 ERA in another and strike out people at a rediculous rate.

that's the difference.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby laxguy8947 » Fri May 12, 2006 11:30 pm

Mets fans can't get over Pelfrey. He's a great prospect but I can't imagine him having any kind of impact on the big club this year. He is in his first year of professional ball. The only guy I can think of off the top of my head who every did anything like that would be Mark Prior.

If Pelfrey is on the list, why not Andrew Miller :*) :-b }:-)

Oh and if Pelfrey does end up in the back of the Mets rotation this year, I like my Braves' chances even more ;-D
Thanks to abrage22
laxguy8947
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker

Postby j24jags » Fri May 12, 2006 11:33 pm

laxguy8947 wrote:Mets fans can't get over Pelfrey. He's a great prospect but I can't imagine him having any kind of impact on the big club this year. He is in his first year of professional ball. The only guy I can think of off the top of my head who every did anything like that would be Mark Prior.

Oh and if Pelfrey does end up in the back of the Mets rotation this year, I like my Braves' chances even more ;-D

just a sour braves fan. if you had jose lima in your rotation you would "imagine" your best pitching prospect entering the rotation too
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby laxguy8947 » Fri May 12, 2006 11:58 pm

j24jags wrote:
laxguy8947 wrote:Mets fans can't get over Pelfrey. He's a great prospect but I can't imagine him having any kind of impact on the big club this year. He is in his first year of professional ball. The only guy I can think of off the top of my head who every did anything like that would be Mark Prior.

just a sour braves fan. if you had jose lima in your rotation you would "imagine" your best pitching prospect entering the rotation too

Amen

Still comparing him to Prior has to be a stretch
Thanks to abrage22
laxguy8947
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers