Does this have the right to be vetoed? (ethics question) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Does this have the right to be vetoed? (ethics question)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Does this have the right to be vetoed? (ethics question)

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Fri May 12, 2006 3:05 pm

Yesterday afternoon I traded Hideki Matsui, Ichiro Suzuki, and John Smoltz for Pedro Martinez and Carl Crawford. At 3:00 p.m. the trade was on its 2 day pending period.

Last night Matsui broke his wrist, and now the other owner is going nuts saying he wants a veto, and so are other members in the league. Me and the commish believe once you hit accept the players traded are now on different teams and the voting process is to help stop cheating. This simply seems like bad luck for the other owner, and the trade should go through. What do you guys think?
Hot Chick Draft:
1.01: Scarlett Johansson
2.12: Mila Kunis
3.01: Malin Akerman
4.12: Britney Spears
5.01: Jessica Simpson
6.12: Penelope Cruz
7.01: Tera Patrick
8.12: Christina Milian
9.01: Cameron Diaz
10.12: Lucy Liu
11.1: Jamie Lynn Sigler
BaseballFann0008
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Fri May 12, 2006 3:07 pm

I would say that people should veto based upon their idea of the trade at the time it was made, i.e. 3.00pm yesterday.

The fact that Hideki broke his wrist during the review period shouldn't be relevant to anyone's veto vote. Trade looks about fair; shouldn't be vetoed.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby chadlincoln » Fri May 12, 2006 3:11 pm

I just traded for Matsui in my keeper leauge and last night was his first night on my roster. Too bad for me. No the trade doesn't get vetoed. Injury risk is always there. His just happened immediately.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Matthias » Fri May 12, 2006 3:11 pm

Note: If he had that offer sitting out there before, and then you just pulled the trigger the minute after Hideki broke his wrist, THEN I would say it should be vetoed upon the broken wrist basis. But the deal was accepted: all risks have passed and been accepted.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Fri May 12, 2006 3:19 pm

As long as the trade occured before the injury, which it did, I beileve the trade should still stand.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby FlawedReasoning » Fri May 12, 2006 3:23 pm

This doesn't seem like it will be a popular approach around here, but I'll go ahead and say that I think the trade is vetoable. No trade is really "complete" until after the waiting period--until then, it's really just a proposal for the rest of the league to look at and either say it's okay or it's not okay. I don't think there are any set rules as to whether the league is looking at the trade at the exact minute it was accepted or if they're considering it in light of events that occur while it's still under review. In that case, they should be able to do what they think is most fair.

Moreover, why force the trade through and create all that bad blood in your league? I'd just take the hit and work out some other deal. It stinks, but I think it's better than the alternative.

Just my .02.
FlawedReasoning
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mikegp » Fri May 12, 2006 3:31 pm

The purpose of the veto is so there is no collusion IMO not to protect teams from bad luck. Trade should stand.
mikegp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bdrotoronto » Fri May 12, 2006 3:35 pm

pokerplaya wrote:As long as the trade occured before the injury, which it did, I beileve the trade should still stand.

Exactly. Any player can get injured at any time. It's often totally random. What matters is whether people thought it was a fair trade at 3:00.

To put the loss for Matsui's injury on the original owner is no more random or 'fair' a decision than putting it to the new owner. If you think that's a fair thing, then you may as well go back and re-do the whole draft, considering various injuries throughout the league this year.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Melo255 » Fri May 12, 2006 3:43 pm

I agree as well that the trade should stand. Once a manager hits accept the only reason a trade should be vetoed is collusion. Bad luck is just bad luck and you have to deal with it.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri May 12, 2006 3:44 pm

Trade goes through.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)