No Virginia...There is not baseball... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

No Virginia...There is not baseball...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby flloyd » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:22 am

But what you suggest would still leave 6 in the NL Central and then 4 in the NL East, unless the moved Pittsburgh.

It would be great to see the DH in Colorado. I think most games would end up something like 10-11.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Youppi » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:35 pm

ive seen baseball played at RFK (exhibition game about 10 years ago), and DC would definately spend the money to renovate RFK as interim stadium. 50000 and 25000 is a pretty big difference especially considering new teams (in new areas) tend to sell a lot more tickets in the first few years.
GO EXPOS
Youppi
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

More relocation and Portland

Postby Maury Brown » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:03 pm

That is the upside to RFK Youppi. It has more than enough seats (actually some would argue too many as it can keep people from purchasing in advance when you know that there are always seats. That spells low attendance when the weather is iffy).

The renovation cost is a must. The exhibition game(s) you refer to were the ones around Good Friday I imagine. I want to say the Cards played. They pulled in around 45,000 for two games. Not too bad… not that great.

In terms of interim in the near term, DC gets left out of the mix in terms of next season. Gene Orza is very adamant about having the Expos play in one location. There will be no split-location scenarios like was done this season with San Juan and Montreal.

DC won’t be sinking $15 million into RFK if they don’t get the team permanently. Obviously it makes no sense to do the investment for one season unless they know that the team is there for good.

Back to Portland… We are very close to getting the required votes lined up in the Senate for passage of $150 million worth of the total package. The rest of the monies would be coming out of Portland via ticket tax, parking tax, etc.

If that bill passes in Salem, Portland will leapfrog in front of everyone. If the passage of the bill occurs, I would bet that there would be ample reason to see about figuring out some way to have the Expos play in Portland next season as “home”.

While conditional award is not likely to occur, placing the team in a US market where a small shove in terms of a single years worth of games is a very real possibility IMO.
Maury Brown

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:08 pm

i had thought portland would turn down the funding for a new stadium because the budget difficulties pretty much every state has, but even if they do pass it would be on the conditional "we wont do anything until you promise us a team basis" DC has said they have set aside some money for a stadium (but not enough to completely build one) but will not set aside the full amount until MLB promises them a team. considering this is MLB, which has a long record of stupidity in management, they probably will keep the team in montreal another year and have it lose money. since guerrero (and maybe vasquez?) will probably leave, the team's value will be a lot lower but MLB will still be asking for a high price.

Postby Youppi » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:10 pm

that last post was mine. forgot to log in.
GO EXPOS
Youppi
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Hmmmm.....

Postby Maury Brown » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:58 pm

Well, DC doesn't have any money set aside at all. Maybe you were thinking of Northern VA, but even there it's decpetive as they have to get permission to release this portion, and that's not going to occur unless there is a team.

There is no conditional award for Portland. There are conditions for releasing the funds, which are predicated on a team being awarded, but the bill is moving forward without saying, "No movement until the team arrives". Very different.

For those interested in how the bill is structured as to not impact the taxpayers, you may wish to read here:

http://www.oregonstadiumcampaign.com/hb3606.htm
Maury Brown

Postby Mugrila » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:04 pm

i'm still hoping for Northern VA. i hate going up to DC, traffic is amazing 8-o
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Previous

Return to General Talk