No Virginia...There is not baseball... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

No Virginia...There is not baseball...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

No Virginia...There is not baseball...

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:52 pm

Still considering three sites in Arlington County

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

RESTON, Va. -- The Virginia Baseball Stadium Authority is ignoring opposition from Arlington County and continuing to consider three county sites for a potential 40,000-seat stadium.

The authority, a state agency that receives its funding from a private group of investors seeking ownership of a Major League Baseball franchise, met Thursday night to evaluate its options after the Arlington County Board told the authority last week it will oppose efforts to put a stadium in the county.

Northern Virginia is competing with Washington, D.C., and Portland, Ore., for the Montreal Expos, a financially troubled franchise that was taken over by the other 29 teams.
Rest of Story

I still think that the Expos will play all there home games in Puerto Rico next year...and will be in downtown DC after that....
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Shitney™ » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:02 am

sniff.. i need to hurry up and graduate and get back to philly.. closest stadium is Carolina League Salem Avalanche (A houston astros)
Shitney™
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:12 am

Shitney™ wrote:closest stadium is Carolina League Salem Avalanche (A houston astros)

I might be wrong about this, but didn't Chin Hui Tsao pitch for Salem.... :-? I'll have to check that out....
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Shitney™ » Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:17 am

quite possibly, before this season it was col rockies farm team.. however, the only games i went to were for thirsty thursday.. and thus i wasn't very interested in the actual games..
Shitney™
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Youppi » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:47 pm

stupid virginia! the expos need a new home and thats the best place. now dc is the only viable option.
GO EXPOS
Youppi
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:41 am

What's wrong with Portland? :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Youppi » Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:39 pm

portland does not have a viable stadium, and is not willing to spend money to build one. the end of the boom 90s has dried up financial resources there neccesary to build a stadium mroe than in virgniaia or DC. there is also the problem of putting an NL East team in geographic west.

DC has RFK stadium (about 45000 seats) which can be used as an interim home until a new stadium is built. DC generally supports building a new stadium despite the cost-but is trying to deal with MLB about how much the city should pay. DC is getting impatient though.
GO EXPOS
Youppi
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby flloyd » Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:08 pm

Youppi wrote:There is also the problem of putting an NL East team in geographic west.

I would imagine that the Expos would join the AL West and the Pirates would join the NL East if they were to move to Portland. Despite the fact that I'm an A's fan, something needs to be done about that situation anyway. I've always thought that the Diamondbacks should join the AL West (they're the newest team) and the Astos should go to the NL West.

If I were an NL Cental fan I would always be pissed that my team only has a 1 in 6 chance of winning the division while the AL West teams have a 1 in 4 chance.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Info On MLB to Portland

Postby TeddyBallGameRules » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:00 pm

Hey all...

Thought I'd weigh in here on a couple of posts regarding Portland, which are highly erroneous.

I have a bit of expertise in this dept. as I work directly in the relocation process and serve as the Information Director for the Oregon Stadium Campaign, the group on the bid for the Expos.

In this capacity I have access to all the documents etc. that the League has delivered to all three jurisdictions in what kind of information is needed to make the judgement ultimately on the placement of the team.

Youppi mentioned that there was no interim facility. This is incorrect, as a matter of fact, it's one of the biggest advantages that Portland has over DC and Northern VA.

PGE Park holds just under 20,000, but per MLB's request, it will be augmented with an addition 5,000 temp seats to bring it to 25,000.

It just recently had a $35 million renovation done to it, so there are Luxury Suites, Filed Level Suites, and box seats... nice revenue drivers.

while RFK holds almost 50,000, there needs to be at least $15 million in renovation work for it to be MLB ready. PGE Park was ready yesterday with the temps seats the exception.

To learn more about Portland's interim facility check here:
http://www.oregonstadiumcampaign.com/stadium_interim.htm

I have come here to this site at the request of Arlo Vander, who has interviewed me for the site here a while back when I was the Information Director of a group called the Oregon Baseball Campaign. We are now fully dissolved into the Stadium Campaign.
TeddyBallGameRules

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Realingment with Portland in the mix

Postby Maury Brown » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:10 am

I would imagine that the Expos would join the AL West
Bud has said that the Expos would remain in the NL for the near term once relocated. That does bring up realignment issues. One would be the Expos joining the NL West and the Rockies moving into the AL West. Dbacks are very much opposed to jumping leagues.

Plus, can you see how the DH would play out in Coors Field? Might help them. Biggest thing is it gets 5 teams in the AL West, which is badly needed.
Maury Brown

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Next

Return to General Talk