which star has the best chance of going to the yankees?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

which star has the best chance of going to the yankees??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

which star is the most likely to go to the yankees???

Poll ended at Mon May 22, 2006 1:51 pm

bobby abreau
29%
alfonso soriano
43%
ken griffey jr.
28%

Total votes : 75

Postby thedukeorsino » Sat May 13, 2006 3:40 pm

Hmmm, realistically?

Crazy thought....
Why not a guy like Trot Nixon? The sox have pena as their futre RF and want to deal him before the season is out and his contract is up (albiet NOT to the yankees). It would never happen, unless the sox get some sort of offer they can't refuse.

Otherwise, I see some really small market team dealing one of their few big names. I mean, the marlins have sold everyone else so why not cabbrera? Devil Rays could deal someone- especially considering how their owner values finances above all else. Rockies have Holliday and Hawpe. Whoever it is, it's not probaly not going to be a superstar. If the yankees really throw their weight around, even a team with very little might be willing to give up the best thing they have for financial incentive.
thedukeorsino
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Strasil42 » Sat May 13, 2006 3:49 pm

Matthias wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
Matthias wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:That was 15 years ago....

And don't people remember what sheffield did last year when the yanks were talking about trading him...

He took less money to stay with the Yankees, he wants to be here.

I don't think that is what nsulham meant though...

He took less money? Says who?

The offseason Sheff signed Vlad signed at $14MM per and Vlad is a lot younger and had equal production as Sheff. Find anything that says Sheff had a higher offer. Try.

"Shef claimed that he made "compensations" to come to the Yanks about 4.5 million worth and if he's traded he wants that money."

Thats what i was referring to. Not sure of other team offers, just remembered that last year sheff said he took less money so he could come here.

http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/v ... p?t=143291

Ah. Sheff says he took less money to play in NY. Find a higher offer.

Go ahead if your so interested...

Sheff took 4.5 million less to come to the Yankees according to him.
Find me a source that says he didn't take 4.5 million less.. you seem to have tons of knowledge of his contract and all the offers he recieved. I have no idea where to find contract information and or previous team offers.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Sat May 13, 2006 4:02 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
Matthias wrote:Ah. Sheff says he took less money to play in NY. Find a higher offer.

Go ahead if your so interested...

Sheff took 4.5 million less to come to the Yankees according to him.
Find me a source that says he didn't take 4.5 million less.. you seem to have tons of knowledge of his contract and all the offers he recieved. I have no idea where to find contract information and or previous team offers.

I can show you Vlad's contract signed for in same year which is only $1MM/year more. If you add $4.5MM to Sheffield's deal, Sheffield would actually have gotten more per year for a player who is older. Not great economics. Sheffield got every dollar he could have.

As far as evidence, you showed me someone else's posting reporting that Sheffield left money on the table. As equal authority, I'll direct you to my posting a few postings ago where I said Sheffield did not leave any money on the table. Besides, you were the one who originally said Sheffield was being so generous to the Yankees. You prove it, bat wagger.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nsulham » Sat May 13, 2006 4:26 pm

Strasil42 wrote:I don't think that is what nsulham meant though...

How do you know what I mean or don't mean?

Look it up, it's been in all the papers. He should be back soon but that doesn't mean he will be. His contract is up this year and it's common knowledge he's a fickle player when his money's not worked out.

He's said it himself, he won't come back unless he's 100 percent----that opens up the possibility that he could milk this thing until he gets his money.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby NikkiSixx » Sat May 13, 2006 4:28 pm

Yoda wrote:Reggie Sanders, Torii Hunter, Shannon Stewart...

It would be great if the Wanks made run at Bonds. Breaking Babe's record in pinstripes...

2nd place isnt exactly a record.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby Zito is God » Sat May 13, 2006 6:40 pm

I believe the Yankees have a good pitching prospect (outside Hughes) named Christian Garcia whos been talked about lately. Other then that they have no trade chips.

Abreu is out, they simply don't have anything to give to the Phillies for him. Griffey is a nice thought, but the reds would demand a pitcher, and the Yankees simply don't have it.

Soriano has no chance. I would be very surprised if he is ever seen wearing pinstripes again.

Sox/Yanks never trade so Nixon is out of the question.

Hunter will need prospects in return. Unless the yankees are willing to part with Duncan for Hunter this one is out.

I don't see any movesd made as a Yankees fan. If I absolutely had to pick a name I'd say reggie Sanders is the best chance here. As a huge yankee fan I will honestly tell you the team looks like a complete mess right now and it pains me to think about our lineup, rotation, bullpen as I write this.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheOmen » Sat May 13, 2006 7:22 pm

I think it's Griffey out of those three. They've wanted him for 10 years.

It's still unlikely though. I like them to maybe grab Delluci from the Phils, or someone like that. Maybe Huff.
TheOmen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Strasil42 » Sun May 14, 2006 1:59 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
Matthias wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:That was 15 years ago....

And don't people remember what sheffield did last year when the yanks were talking about trading him...

He took less money to stay with the Yankees, he wants to be here.

I don't think that is what nsulham meant though...

He took less money? Says who?

The offseason Sheff signed Vlad signed at $14MM per and Vlad is a lot younger and had equal production as Sheff. Find anything that says Sheff had a higher offer. Try.

"Shef claimed that he made "compensations" to come to the Yanks about 4.5 million worth and if he's traded he wants that money."

Thats what i was referring to. Not sure of other team offers, just remembered that last year sheff said he took less money so he could come here.

http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/v ... p?t=143291

Here is the full story for you. I was correct on remembering that Sheffield said he took less money. You were correct that no other team gave him a higher offer.

"When Shef was a FA, he was trying to milk the Yanks for about 4 million more. He had no other suitors other than the Yankees. His contract negotiations infuriated the Yankees so much, that Cashman reached out and negotiated a deal with Vlad. Vlad was on the verge of becoming a Yankee. Shef, hearing the status of the Vlad situation, came running back to the Yanks, to negotiate with the them again. George had alway wanted Shef, since the late 90s. So he ordered the Vlad deal killed, and agreed to negotiate with Shef again. The rest is history. Did Shef take less money to come to the Yanks? No. Instead, he was trying to milk the Yanks for more $$$, but when the Yanks were on the verge of signing Vlad, he took the Yanks offer. Which was lower than what he ultimately wanted. About 4 million less."

This is what I was thinking of.

Thanks for challenging me to find this, it is always interesting finding out more info on one of your favorite players.

Now if he can just get that wiggling bat back on the field. :-)
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thedukeorsino » Sun May 14, 2006 2:06 pm

I have to admit, I was joking around about nixon before, hoping someone would bite.

What about Jose Guillen? Contract's up, Nats new ownership has declared they want to build from the ground up by aquiring good prospects at the sacrifice of major league competition. I could totally see that happening.
thedukeorsino
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Halo Homers » Sun May 14, 2006 2:24 pm

The only two commodities the Yankees can offer a team are relief pitching and cash.

I don't see a deal until at least mid-June

The Twins make sense from the cash deal. Torii Hunter for cash plus a the Yanks best minor leaguer. I think Hunter nearer the trading deadline makes a lot of sense. Once the Twins have proven to their fans they are out of it, this deal becomes easier.

From the RP point of view, the Indians make sense. The Indians BP has been horrible. Octavio Dotel, who will probably be ready by mid-June or Villone also could be traded perhaps for Todd Hollingworth, Jason Michaels, or Casy Blake.

I think a lot depends on Matsui. Is he gone for the year, or back by Sept 1st. The guy is a warrior, so if its physcially possible, I think he will return
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers