Should I give up on the Saves Category? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should I give up on the Saves Category?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Magnus_CA » Fri May 12, 2006 1:58 pm

George Bell wrote:I didn't say that those pitchers weren't valuable, but even though they keep the era and whip down, you don't need 2 pitchers in that mould. How many wins and saves have you gotten from that tandem? I think Shields may have one of each, right? Are there better choices out there? Surely, in a 12 team mixed league there must be. One such pitcher can help, but there are potential sleepers out there that will not hurt you in those categories and may come into saves. I thought we were talking about saves.

We are talking about saves. I'm weary over how many (quality) potential sleeper closers are left. Name me ten potential closers and I'd bet they're taken. My fellow owners are voracious when it comes to closers. Take our draft for example, Riviera was taken 13th overall, Lidge 22nd, F Rod 27th, Nathan 40th, Wagner 50th, and the 52nd thru 54th picks were Hoffman, Street, and Isringhausen!!!

That's why I'm wondering, why not give up the rat race for saves? My offense is #1 overall, and I could improve upon my Wins, ERA, and Whip with the top 5 SP I get for Gordon.
Magnus_CA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Meng3267 » Fri May 12, 2006 2:04 pm

Do you really think you could get a top 5 SP for Gordon? I think if anyone would do that, they're retarded.
Meng3267
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Magnus_CA » Fri May 12, 2006 2:07 pm

Howie wrote:
Magnus_CA wrote:
George Bell wrote:You could definitely cut the likes of Rauch, Shields and Gregg in favour of a bullpen sleeper.

Gregg actually isn't on my team anymore. But why cut Rauch and Shields when they keep my ERA and WHIP down?

Umm, for saves? :-?

The pickens are slim!
Magnus_CA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby great gretzky » Fri May 12, 2006 2:30 pm

don't cut sheilds.

Yes, there is a lot of time to make things up, I'd reasses at the break.

That said, you really need to evaluate the economy of the league, and what it would realistically cost you in points to move up in saves, sounds like it is a tight save market. If you can only gain one or two points, maybe you punt. but if you find that the addition of a quality closer via trade, and lucking out with one from the wire will get you a handful of points, you gotta take it.

Don't punt yet, but certainly don't go trading jeter.

I know people around here hate punting (with good reason), but sometimes what you have to pay comes at such a cost, its probably better to use your closers to get the rip off trade in your favor rather than overpaying.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby George Bell » Fri May 12, 2006 2:34 pm

There is an ongoing forum discussing the fluid closer situation here in Leftovers.
Check it out, and you will see names like Coffey, Putz, Soriano, Orvella, Walker, Villarreal, MacDougal, Burgos, Devine, and others.
The saves are out there.
George Bell 1987 AL MVP
"Kiss my purple butt."
George Bell
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Magnus_CA » Fri May 12, 2006 2:39 pm

George Bell wrote:There is an ongoing forum discussing the fluid closer situation here in Leftovers.
Check it out, and you will see names like Coffey, Putz, Soriano, Orvella, Walker, Villarreal, MacDougal, Burgos, Devine, and others.
The saves are out there.

Thanks, I've just been reading the last few pages of the Closer watch.

Coffey, Putz, Soriano, Walker, MacDougal, Burgos all taken. I actually had Orvella on my team and dropped him. He's still on the WW.

The rotation in Atl and TB is just too much in the air to rely on the likes of Villareal, Devine, and Orvella.

When it comes to saves the other managers in my league have blinders on. I wouldn't be surprised if I could get Oswalt for Gordon given his hot start.
Magnus_CA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby swyck » Fri May 12, 2006 2:40 pm

You didnt say how far in last you are, just how far out of first. Are you that far behind that you can't even conceive of moving up?

Doesnt matter IMO, its way too early to punt saves.

Someone will come along, Turnbow like, and step in around mid-season. More then one probably, and they wont all be taken, because some of them wont be on the radar. I doubt many people had Turnbow on last years closer sleeper list.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Magnus_CA » Fri May 12, 2006 2:45 pm

swyck wrote:You didnt say how far in last you are, just how far out of first. Are you that far behind that you can't even conceive of moving up?

Moving up is possible, I'm just frustrated. Someone just picked up Wheeler (Lidge got pulled last night) 10 minutes ago.

Here's the save totals by team:

Total # Saves By Overall Ranking
1 - 28
2 - 18
3 - 11 (my team)
4 - 28
5 - 13
6 - 21
7 - 29
8 - 14
9 - 21
10 - 13
11 - 8
12 - 31
Magnus_CA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Wrong Forum!

Postby WebHamster » Fri May 12, 2006 2:53 pm

This thread has been eaten by the Webhamster. This typically happens to solitary posts that move too far away from their own kind. Please repost your question or issue in the appropriate forum where it can dwell among the herd of similar threads and where the mods will bravely protect it from the mean rodents. And please ... do not feed the Webhamster! Thank you.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 479)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers