In case you needed more proof Scott Boras is scum - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

In case you needed more proof Scott Boras is scum

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun May 14, 2006 2:36 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:
Dawgpound 1613 wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:I'm pretty sure that an agent CAN prohibit you from negotiating on your own behalf.

You're right, but Boras isn't an agent. That's the key.

EDIT: He is an "agent" after a player signs a contract. Until then he is an advisor. If the player signs with him before signing, they forfeit their college eligibility (ala NBA wannabes who "test the draft" but don't sign with an agent allowing them to return). To give up college eligibility gives up one of their biggest bargaining chips.

Thanks for the clarification. The whole thing just reeks of shadiness to me. I guess it wasn't an issue for me, but if I were a high school pitcher and someone waved a decent chunk of change in front of me, I would have to think that the smart play would be to take the money and pitch and take the benefit of some coaching, experience, etc. to see if you had the chops to make it. JuCo seems like a very good alternative as well. Turning down 4 million bucks does not seem smart and it seems to me as if you'd only consider doing that if you were listening to someone like Scott Boras.

I would tend to think that the smart play is to take the money and secure yourself for life. Trying to hold out for a million more is something you do when you are set and established at the pro level. Anyone with some common sense knows that most minor leaguers never even sniff the Majors. Take the money. But of course, common sense is not so common.

And hiring Boras is something you do when you are looking to make the biggest killing. So why a kid would do so is beyond me...just bad advice all-round imo.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun May 14, 2006 3:01 pm

Even 4 million isn't necessarily 'set for life' though, as you'd be set to drop 50% to taxes, pay Boras his cut (5%? 10%? hmmmm....) so you'd have to have your eye on developing yourself. There aren't too many guys making it right out of high school these days!!

Watching the Cubs game, Brenly mentioned that Adrian Gonzalez told his agent 'Don't haggle over the money, I just want to play!!' when he was picked #1 overall. That's a good attitude to have. Now, as his career matures, he may very well be able to parlay his skills into being 'set for life'...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun May 14, 2006 3:58 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:Even 4 million isn't necessarily 'set for life' though, as you'd be set to drop 50% to taxes, pay Boras his cut (5%? 10%? hmmmm....) so you'd have to have your eye on developing yourself. There aren't too many guys making it right out of high school these days!!

Watching the Cubs game, Brenly mentioned that Adrian Gonzalez told his agent 'Don't haggle over the money, I just want to play!!' when he was picked #1 overall. That's a good attitude to have. Now, as his career matures, he may very well be able to parlay his skills into being 'set for life'...

Well even taking in roughly 1.5 to 2 M after taxes and rip-off agent fees, that is more money than the average person will take home in 30 years. You may not be able to live like a king, but you probably could live off the interest/inverstment earnings and not work a day the rest of your life if you wanted to. And if you made it, you would be on easy street. Like I said, common sense is not so common.

Boras is the absolute worst agent to hire for a young kid imo. He plays hardball and that is fine, but the priorities of a kid in HS/college should be different than that of a MLB verteran on his first year of free agency.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers