Philly Homers, is Jon Lieber getting beat around or unlucky? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Philly Homers, is Jon Lieber getting beat around or unlucky?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby sockeye » Sun May 14, 2006 2:21 am

redjake wrote:FIP and xFIP doesn't look too bad (much appreciation for the explanations, by the way) but I'm curious how they compare to others. Anyplace I can go to see that?

You can see (and sort) these stats at:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/stats/

Based on his peripheral stats, Lieber has definetly been unlucky to date, and seems like a prime candidate to improve on his current numbers. I'll take a 4.25 ERA from my sixth SP if I can get him at a dirt cheap price!

Edited to add - whoops, guess I hadn't seen a second page to the thread - someone scooped me on the Hardball link!
sockeye
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Y`s Guy » Sun May 14, 2006 9:18 am

personally, i think the guy is fantasy garbage

unreal.

I picked Jon up after he dangled on the WW for a couple weeks. I ahve started him twice and like him a lot. Unfortunately I was scared to death of GAB yesterday and didn't start him. I am a mo mo.

Today I will start Brett Myers there.

As for Lieber...definitely worth a spot in roto leagues. He will win games and, to me, that is the most key stats for SPs. I will scarifice other cats for those Ws.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 275)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby JTWood » Sun May 14, 2006 10:26 am

BobbyRoberto wrote:
FIP and xFIP doesn't look too bad (much appreciation for the explanations, by the way) but I'm curious how they compare to others. Anyplace I can go to see that?

FIP and xFIP, along with BABIP for hitters can be found at
http://www.hardballtimes.com/

From the home page, click on Stats (top right) and put in the player's name next to Search for Player.

Hardball Times has some great stats to look at, including Ground ball rate, Line Drive rate, etc.

Speaking of Lieber, I just noticed his LOB% is very low this year, just 55.9%. LOB% is the percentage of baserunners allowed that didn't score. LOB% is used to track a pitcher's luck or effectiveness (depending on your point of view). <-explanation from Hardball Times Statistics Glossary. There's a link to an article that explains more. In '04, Lieber's LOB% was 67.8%. In '05, it was 72.5%. Heading into today's game, it was 55.9% for '06. That's very low and should also improve.

Great game for Lieber today, just a gem. I'm glad I used him.

You can also view those stats at FanStar.com, which graphs the player against the league average and also allows you to select up to two more players to overlap in comparison.

Excellent site, and it's linked on the leftmost banner of this great forum.

;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Wharton93 » Sun May 14, 2006 11:54 am

Snakes Gould wrote:and no i dont have any fantasy mccrackin or bill james stats. im just a well knowledged baseball observer and i know what i know

Ah, that explains it then~
Wharton93
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stevethumb » Sun May 14, 2006 6:35 pm

so snakes, you didnt think his 2nd half last year was impressive when he led the phillies to w/in one game of a playoff spot ? 2nd half #s...9 Ws 3.58 era 1.08 whip 89 Ks .247 OBA
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers