Philly Homers, is Jon Lieber getting beat around or unlucky? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Philly Homers, is Jon Lieber getting beat around or unlucky?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Philly Homers, is Jon Lieber getting beat around or unlucky?

Postby Slump Busters » Fri May 12, 2006 7:43 am

I am hurting for pitching and am wondering why Lieber has such a low BB/K ratio (5 walks/28 K's) but is carrying an ERA of 6.60. He must be giving up a ton of basehits. Or is it a case of the balls blooping in or just sliding past the infielders? Generally when a pitchers ERA is so high he will have problems with delivery/mechanics, etc. and have a ton of walks to go with it.

If he is getting beat around the yard, I will likely not pick him up, but with a low amount of walks I dont understand the high ERA and I am hoping he will improve?

I dont have the ability to catch many Phillies games so any advice from those who have watched his outings is appreciated.

Thanks
Slump Busters
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swyck » Fri May 12, 2006 8:24 am

He looks like he loses focus for an inning. He's giving up a lot of hits, and from what I'm seeing they're line drives. He usually has good control, hence the low BBs, but right now he's leaving the ball over the plate.

I am holding him in a deeper league for now. He was getting shelled around mid-season last year, but pitched real well at the start and the finish. I'm hoping this is just a bad streak, and he's just a streaky guy.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby d18Mike » Fri May 12, 2006 8:29 am

This from MLB.com Roundtable re: Players Most Likely to Turn it Around. Each expert was asked to name on pitcher.

Cory Schwartz
MLB.com Director of Stats and Fantasy 411 co-host

Jon Lieber, Philadelphia Phillies
One guy who is available but should turn things around is Jon Lieber of the Phillies. He's not the most scintillating roto pitcher around, but he's a consistent producer whose underlying stats don't look too different from those in years past. His strikeout, walk, groundball and home run rates after seven starts certainly paint a very different picture than his 6.60 ERA, and the Phillies should give him enough run support for another 15-plus-win season.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby d18Mike » Fri May 12, 2006 8:30 am

This from MLB.com Roundtable re: Players Most Likely to Turn it Around. Each expert was asked to name one pitcher.

Cory Schwartz
MLB.com Director of Stats and Fantasy 411 co-host

Jon Lieber, Philadelphia Phillies
One guy who is available but should turn things around is Jon Lieber of the Phillies. He's not the most scintillating roto pitcher around, but he's a consistent producer whose underlying stats don't look too different from those in years past. His strikeout, walk, groundball and home run rates after seven starts certainly paint a very different picture than his 6.60 ERA, and the Phillies should give him enough run support for another 15-plus-win season.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri May 12, 2006 9:03 am

personally, i think the guy is fantasy garbage...at least in Roto. the ERA/WHIP will kill you
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Wharton93 » Fri May 12, 2006 9:28 am

His underlying skillset is very strong (more than just the mentioned K/BB rate) and he's just been very unlucky. Pick him up.
Wharton93
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri May 12, 2006 9:33 am

Wharton93 wrote:His underlying skillset is very strong (more than just the mentioned K/BB rate) and he's just been very unlucky. Pick him up.

he's got a career 4.253...not that good
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Slump Busters » Fri May 12, 2006 10:26 am

I play a head to head weekly so cumulative ERA over a season although it hurts is only one category. What I am looking for are low BB decent K's and perhaps a win and I think the Phills are a good enough team to win some games. Just for reference I am looking at dumping Matt Cain who has been a gas can to this point so I have grown a custom to the high ERA. !+)

My hopes with Lieber is that he does drop back to around 4.5 runs per game and the Phills offense plays well and he gets a few wins all while keeping the BB's low and the K's up.

Thanks for the inside scoop, if there are any more Philly fans please post. Thanks.
Slump Busters
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Jury » Fri May 12, 2006 10:29 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Wharton93 wrote:His underlying skillset is very strong (more than just the mentioned K/BB rate) and he's just been very unlucky. Pick him up.

he's got a career 4.253...not that good

ERA is only one category...
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheOmen » Fri May 12, 2006 12:36 pm

For head to head, I think he's worth a spot. He has always given up a lot of hits, even in good seasons. A lot of the hits are coming in one inning now, so thats been the problem, but I expect him to be pretty solid most of the year.
TheOmen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers