What's the deal with Larry Walker? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's the deal with Larry Walker?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's the deal with Larry Walker?

Postby Quaker » Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:33 pm

Why isn't he playing like he usually does? He hasn't even been injured this year- when's the last time that happened?

I have a deal proposed to me in which I would acquire Walker. Is he worth it? Does he have anything left?
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mrmarley » Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:57 pm

Latest News per Rotoworld:

LATEST NEWS - July 25 - Previous News

Larry Walker is feeling fine and has no intention of going on the disabled list. Walker has been slowed by an inflamed lymph gland in his groin and limited by a sore shoulder, but if he intends to keep playing, you'll want to leave him active.

Prolly just a day off so he can rest the injuries that are bothering him. I like having him for his home games, but it depends on what you would have to give up to get him. Good luck! ;-D
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Quaker » Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:59 pm

Ensberg and Foulke. I wouldn't do it if I were in a roto league, but I'm in a points league, and closers aren't that big of a deal.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby guest » Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:00 pm

My gut tells me no. He's been almost worthless all season, and at this point in the guy's career, you've gotta think his age and his history of injuries has to be getting to him. His home-away splits are even worse than usual (.358/.498/.585 at home, .229/.369/.399 away), and his overall slugging percentage has dropped precipitously in recent years -- .662 in 2001, .602 in 2002, and a dismal .494 this year, tied with Marquis Grissom and Eric Byrnes. For a guy whose hallmarks have been a very good average, and good homer and RBI production, .295/10/60 weeks after the All-Star break -- as well as only 5 homers in 159 AB at Coors -- just isn't going to cut it. It's been a great career, but I think it's in its twilight.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby mrmarley » Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:12 pm

Well, it's hard to say since Foulke isn't that valuable...it doesn't seem like a bad deal, unless you have don't have a viable alternative for his away games..the splits and the injuries that seem to be bothering him would make me a bit worried:

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
Home 49 159 46 57 11 5 5 36 41 27 1 2 .358 .498 .585 1.082
Away 49 153 22 35 7 2 5 24 30 35 5 1 .229 .369 .399 .768

But again, you would have to make the final call since you're in the league and prolly know best :-)
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: What's the deal with Larry Walker?

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:23 pm

Quaker wrote:Why isn't he playing like he usually does? He hasn't even been injured this year- when's the last time that happened?

I have a deal proposed to me in which I would acquire Walker. Is he worth it? Does he have anything left?

The Alomar effect. A great player reduced to average by age.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Return to Baseball Leftovers