I've got a chip on my shoulder - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I've got a chip on my shoulder

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I've got a chip on my shoulder

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu May 11, 2006 2:14 pm

Ok, most of you may know I'm going to school for advertising and mostly for design. We just finished up our semester and had our finals this week. Most of it went pretty smooth but I've run into a problem with one of my teachers. It has to deal with the final.

We were supposed to have our final presentation on Tuesday this week and he gave us a take home final to turn in on that day. Me and one of my classmates thought it was supposed to be on Wednesday and I've been busy so was planning on doing the final test the night before. It was maybe 7 pages but would have taken about a half hour. Fortunately for my classmate he had a final on Monday and ran into our teacher and was informed that it was Tuesday not Wednesday. Unfortunately for me, I didn't have a final Monday and basically my presentation partners called me at about 5 minutes after 12(the class started at 12) on Tuesday asking me if I was coming. I was like "oh snap!" So I rushed out the door and got there in 10 minutes or so and walked in late. I remembered on the drive there if I did the test but of course I didn't, looked for it in my bag to see if I could do a little bit but it wasn't in any of my folders or books. So basically I resigned to the fact that I'll talk to my teacher after class. Got the presentations done and after class he was in a hurry cause he had to go to some softball thing at 2. I was able to talk to him and he said that it would be ok to turn it in the day after(yesterday) but not for full credit. I was ok with that because it was my fault I didn't write the test date down correct. So I get back home and start looking for it all over my place. Tearing everything apart and I couldn't find it. So in effort to revive my efforts I e-mailed my teacher at about 2:45 that day. I basically just asked in the e-mail if it'd be alright if I stop in tomorrow morning to pickup a final because I lost mine. I figured it would be alright, with how leniant he's been with everyone else in the class. I had to work that night so I decided not to worry too much about it and waited to check my e-mail later that night. Nothing. Now I had a final at 11 yesterday morning so I went in a little early to go see if he was in his office. He still hadn't e-mailed me but I figured it'd be better to talk in person about it. Now, just to let you know, the advertising department of our college is really small, it's basically 4 classrooms in the hallway with the instructors office's right across the hall. I took my final and it took about 1.5 hours. So around 12:30, a little after I went to check around the offices and classrooms. His office was still closed and wasn't in any classrooms. So I e-mailed him asking if it'd still be ok, and told him I was heading home but if he got back to me I'd be able to run in and do the test quick. Finally I get this e-mail back a little after 4 pm:
Not sure what to say Joe...this is a very dissappointing turn of events.

I was at school working on Finals from 10:35-4:30 and did not see you
around.

You are two days late now handing in a major Final Exam that you were
given a week to complete ahead of time.

I need to be fair to the rest of the students who paid attention to what
was written on the board for the past 2 months (actually a little more).

If you were only this diligent prior to this situation we could've
avoided the whole thing.

I wish I could extend another grace period to you ... but that wouldn't
be fair to the rest of the students that are working very hard for their
grades.

Hopefully you will learn a good leason from this unfortunate event.

Ok, frankly this pissed me off. The fact that he completely disregarded both my e-mails I sent to him earlier and didn't even address the situation of whether or not I could get another one. If he would have given me an e-mail saying "I'm sorry Joe, if you lost your test I won't be able to let you take it." But him giving me this "I have to be fair" is a bunch of B-U-L-L. The fact that he said "now you are two days late" leads me to believe he never read either of my e-mails, because I would have no test to hand in and IF I would have gotten the test after this e-mail it'd still be 1 day late, no 2. And the fact that he stated he was at school almost all day yet I didn't see him around the advertising department. We got there at the same time, I don't see how we wouldn't run into eachother.

All semester he's preached that he likes to call a spade a spade and all that cliche stuff, but I believe he's a total hypocrite. To let you know, if I fail this class because of this, I'd have to retake it next year and it'd basically set me back a semester and I won't be able to graduate next year. Now to why I think it's bull about the fairness factor.

We've had a semester long project, a 40 page media plan. All semester long he said that if you had "computer problems" around the deadline that he wouldn't be able to accept the media plan. A week before the deadline he told me and my group members that he didn't think we'd be able to finish on time. Well we did a day before with it printed off and handed in. He gave us all this "I'm so proud of you" and "I didn't expect this" and "I'm blown away." On 3 seperate occasions he told me this. Now, one of my classmates(I work with here and I think she's a real nice girl) lost her media plan a week before, the whole thing. She's planning on graduating at the end of the month and getting out to the work force. I have nothing against her, but my teacher didn't practice what he preached and basically told her that "She had until Christmas to hand it in." These are the exact words she told me from her mouth. I was blown away but I know our teacher is very leniant and I was actually glad he was letting her do that. There were also two other girls that got their deadline extended from that Wednesday to later that week. Nice guy.

Back to today. I had a final at 8 in the morning. I had e-mailed him yet again asking him if he got my first e-mail, that was all I asked. He still didn't return my e-mail. So I took my test and checked around 10 to see if he was around. Office closed, not in the classrooms. I keep checking my e-mail this morning and notice he sent one out to the student body(about softball) around 11. So I quick jumped in my car thinking he was around school. Get there look for him nothing. He got my e-mail I'm sure, and he didn't answer it. I'm now sitting here thinking about what I should do. I want to send him an e-mail containing most of this and how I feel about the situation. Am I completely out of line if I do this? I really feel he's not being "fair" about this. Frankly I don't care about if I can do the test or not anymore, I'll accept if I fail, most of it is my fault, but I feel like I've lost a lot of respect for him. I'd like some opinions on this as to what I should do. I've talked to a few other classmates and they feel I'm being screwed. Any help?
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RugbyD » Thu May 11, 2006 2:22 pm

put together a detailed timeline with as much documentation as possible. worst-case scenario: you have to use it if reason doesn't initially prevail.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ironman » Thu May 11, 2006 2:29 pm

RugbyD wrote:put together a detailed timeline with as much documentation as possible. worst-case scenario: you have to use it if reason doesn't initially prevail.

Yeah hopefully you can get things somewhat worked out without having to involve administrative officials.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu May 11, 2006 3:05 pm

i think you need to call him or go talk to him in person to try to get it resolved...forget email, there's no gaurantee when he'll read it
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu May 11, 2006 3:06 pm

RugbyD wrote:put together a detailed timeline with as much documentation as possible. worst-case scenario: you have to use it if reason doesn't initially prevail.

This really is good advice. I’ll add that you should approach your teacher in as conciliatory a manner as possible, give him a detailed account of your efforts to contact him and your earnestness in finishing the project, if NECESSARY then bring up the example of the girl who got the deadline extended. Be careful when doing that, though – if he’s an egotist you may easily piss him off by pointing out something he’s been inconsistent with.

Finally, if he does not give you an acceptable result (especially if he doesn’t give you a good answer regarding the emails you sent) then speak to the Dean of your department and/or the Ombudsman (if your school has one).

Good luck!
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu May 11, 2006 4:34 pm

Haven't gotten anything back yet, I'm assuming if I do it'll be around the same time yesterday. I think I'll try and go talk to him tomorrow if at all possible. I'll probably just make a little timeline of what happened like you guys suggested.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Thu May 11, 2006 5:30 pm

Take everything to the head of the department
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Zito is God » Thu May 11, 2006 8:18 pm

Well, the question is are you failing the class after all is said and done? If not then you might just want to forget about it.

I have had much experience with teachers like this in high school and in college. No matter what they will always say it is your fault. I feel, unlike others, that you have already made a good effort to resolve the problem and he simply won't budge. Key to remmember is that he has bosses too. If nothing changes I would go to the dean in person and explain everything. Bring all documentation, evidence, etc with you. bring that girl with you for God sakes if her grade won't suffer if she tells about the incident in her situation.

I'll admit that from my experience the deans do not in any way favor the student body as opposed to the teacher's assosiation. The chances of this being overturned are not great, but it is possible. If your teacher flat out lies and denies everything you will erun out of luck, but there is a slim chance the dean wil understand your case after seeing documentation, evidence, and the whole story. Good luck!

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby dannyolbb » Thu May 11, 2006 8:57 pm

Sorry not to join in the cries of support, but there's no way this is going to be overturned. It is entirely up to the teacher if he wants to give you another shot. If you take this to the head of the department, you'll just mark yourself as someone nobody wants in their class. You'll just hurt yourself.

His argument:

"I allowed Joe the opportunity to turn his final exam in a day later than the other students. If he did not do so, the responsibility is his. I suspect he just didn't want to do the final and kept putting it off. He has to learn eventually."

How can you respond to that? What possible argument do you have? Generations of students have lied to their teachers to get extensions - relatives have "died," apartments have "burned down," and students have "lost" their final. Unfortunately for you, yours turned out to be true. But imagine if he bought every excuse handed to him. He'd never finish his work. Half the class would show up the day of the final and ask for extensions.

You can't win this. Sorry. The school will side with him.

Also, I thought of wrveres when I saw this thread, too, Jose.
Last edited by dannyolbb on Mon May 15, 2006 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=18]03[/size]
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Fri May 12, 2006 12:02 am

dannyolbb wrote:Sorry not to join in the cries of support, but there's no way this is going to be overturned. It is entirely up to the teacher if he wants to give you another shot. If you take this to the head of the department, you'll just mark yourself as someone nobody wants in their class. You'll just hurt yourself.

His argument:

"I allowed Joe the opportunity to turn his final exam in a day later than the other students. If he did not do so, the responsibility is his. I suspect he just didn't want to do the final and kept putting it off. He has to learn eventually."

How can you respond to that? What possible argument do you have? Generations of students have lied to their teachers to get extensions - relatives have "died," apartments have "burned down," and students have "lost" their final. Unfortunately for you, yours turned out to be true. But imagine if he bought every excuse handed to him. He'd never finish his work. Half the class would show up the day of the final and ask for extensions.

You can't win this. Sorry. The school will side with him.

I'm sorry as well, but I have to agree with this. You were given two chances, and blew them both. Best of luck, but I wouldn't hold my breath. :-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to General Talk