Tigers option Tata to Toledo, recall Colon - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Tigers option Tata to Toledo, recall Colon

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tigers option Tata to Toledo, recall Colon

Postby Dannomyte » Thu May 11, 2006 9:26 am

BALTIMORE (AP) — The Detroit Tigers optioned right-hander Jordan Tata to Triple-A Toledo on Wednesday night and recalled pitcher Roman Colon from the same club.

Tata was 0-0 with a 3.86 ERA in seven appearances. He allowed six earned runs in 14 innings, and opposing batters were hitting .180 against him.

"Tata didn't get sent out because he did anything wrong," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "We think he's got a great future. He got a month or so of big leagueitis to see what it's all about. He'll get plenty of innings yet; this might help him."

Tata, 24, was the Tigers' minor league pitcher of the year in 2005, when he went 13-2 with a 2.79 ERA for Single-A Lakeland.

Colon, also a right-hander, will join the team on Thursday, Leyland said.

http://www.mlive.com/sportsflash/baseba ... ichiganmlb
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu May 11, 2006 11:04 am

Good to see that Tata will finally get some starts. I'm a little surprised Spurling didn't get the call first over Colon. Colon has seen limited innings so far since returning from an injury which had him sidelined most of this early season. But I won't complain. There's some decent pitching depth down at Toledo right now in guys who can come in and be decent options in the back of the bullpen or as an emergency starter.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Thu May 11, 2006 3:29 pm

I have mixed feelings about Tata being sent down. I have no qualms about him going down and being a starter, since that is what they have him projected to be in the future.

On the other hand, it isn't unheard of for a future starter to spend a season in middle relief ala Santana. There is something to be said for being with the big leaguers and learning on the job. Bottom line is that Tata did absolutely nothing to hurt the team or embarrass himself. He did a very solid job.

I fear he goes to Toledo and forgets the difference between AAA hitters and the show.

As for Colon, I have never been a fan and am suspicious that DD is behind this somewhat so that he can justify his putrid trading of Farnsworth last season. Think about the pen with Farnsy, Zoomer, Tata, Rodney, and rollercoaster Jones. Add Walker and that other lefty and you have one formidable relief corps.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dannomyte » Thu May 11, 2006 11:19 pm

As for Colon, I have never been a fan and am suspicious that DD is behind this somewhat so that he can justify his putrid trading of Farnsworth last season. Think about the pen with Farnsy, Zoomer, Tata, Rodney, and rollercoaster Jones. Add Walker and that other lefty and you have one formidable relief corps.

You lost all credibility when you put Jamie "Walker" and "formidable relief" in the same sentence!!!!

Seriously though, while the Farnsworth trade may not been one of DD's best it had to be done. You act as if Farnsworth would have automatically re-upped with the Tigers had he played out the season here. Fact is the Tigers offered him a contract extension that he turned down and he never hid the fact that he wanted to test free agency. Had he stayed here do you honestly think the Tigers would have matched or most likely would have had to top the Yankees offer?? The way I see it the Tigers were going no where fast last season and they atleast got something for Farnsworth before he walked at seasons end. I haven't seen it yet but some people say that Colon has nasty stuff and Zach Minor has been solid for Toledo since they got him in the deal.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby moochman » Fri May 12, 2006 3:25 pm

Yeah I didn't think that out very well. But on the plus side if the Tigers were to have kept Farnsworth they wouldn't have signed Jones!
If they kept him and lost him in a bidding war, wouldn't they have gotten a #1 draft pick or two. I know the Colon is supposed to have good stuff, but I distrust Brave's discards.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri May 12, 2006 3:40 pm

I would have two problems with the whole developing Tata in middle relief idea, which makes this a TOTALLY different situation from Johan Santan or even Zumaya.
1) His walks are a little higher than you'd like to see right now. He's walked more than he's struck out. Not a good sign for a pitcher, but he's not too far off, ie. Franklyn German levels.

2) He was basically the last guy out of the bullpen getting very infrequent work. He didn't have a significant role like Zumaya does. He needs to pitch more MEANINGFUL innings on a regular basis and he will do that in Toledo.

It's not at all about him hurting the team, which he has not done. It's all about making sure he gets the work he needs and he was not doing that as a garbage-time guy out of the pen. Don't forget, Tata was originally expected to start this year in AA, but was a surprise member of the big league team when Dingman went down with injury. He was definitely impressive and I think he'll definitely be back sooner or later.

As far as justifying the Colon trade by bringing him up, I can only see that as speculation right now. He was effective, albeit in limited time in AAA, with no help from his defense leading to quite a few unearned runs. He certainly has a lot to prove, though.

And, yes, Zach Miner is proving to be quite solid and then some. He has a 2.03 ERA in 41 IP with 31 K's and 17 BB's and only 31 hits allowed. 5 wins and 0 losses to go with it. He's been one of Toledo's bright spots this year.

Honestly, I am not a Grilli fan and would like to see him sent down soon, but someone seems to like him, so I don't expect him to get sent down anytime soon. Also, Grilli would have to clear waivers, not that I'm sure he'd be such a hot commodity.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Sat May 13, 2006 12:37 am

Wow I thought my mentioning Walker and formidible relief corps was bad, but to compare Tata with German!

I have no problem with them sending him down, I just wouldn't have had a problem with them keeping him here. The starters will not keep up this pace. Not one of them, save maybe Rogers, has done anything after the all-star break. So there will be plenty on need for more middle relievers.

Grilli? I just don't get at all. He has pitched well enough to trade to a team desperate for pitching so they should persue that option. But on this team I don't see him being solid enough to hang here. Too many other right-handers. Package him with a hot hitting Thames and maybe get a lefty bat.

I would love to see them somehow work out a deal with the 'Nats for Nick Johnson.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat May 13, 2006 1:50 pm

My German reference was simply a loose one to mention a pitcher that walks more batters than he strikes out that we as Tiger fans know very well, not to necessarily say Tata is another German. Tata both walks fewer and strikes out fewer batters per inning than does German. My biggest concern with Tata is simply that he was striking out too few batters (in limited time though). If that was to continue, there was little chance of expecting him to maintain a sub-.200 BAA, but you never know since we didn't see a ton of him.

I can't see Grilli as bringing too much value to this team via trade. He's a shaky pitcher at best and tends to be very hittable. I'm sure some team could use him, but what could we expect? A player the level of Alexis Gomez? The best value the Tigers will get via trade is through some of the minor league arms they have. Tata and Miner (AAA), H Sanchez (AA), Jurrjens (A+), and Ramon Garcia (A).

Nick Johnson would be excellent although I have a feeling Washington won't be moving him, at least not without paying an arm and a leg. But there are plenty of possibilities out there. Aubrey Huff (I'm not a big fan of his), Raul Ibanez?, Roberto Petagine (a cheap option, but I think he would be a good value pick). I don't know about the contract situations, but maybe Arizona would move Shawn Green or Luis Gonzalez without asking for a ton. With Chris Young and Carlos Quentin knocking on the door, you would think they need to shed at least one of those guys. If Sean Casey were to come back healthy soon, he would be a decent addition if not too costly. Matt Lawton if Seattle can't play him enough to keep him happy?

Lots of possibilities of varying values, but I don't think the team sees a sense of urgency to make a move just yet, but it's always fun to look ahead.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Sun May 14, 2006 12:00 pm

The Nats have been sold and the word I here is the new ownership may want to take the miserable start they're off to as the starting point for a team re-build. Wouldn't surprize me to see Soriano, Hernandez, and Johnson up for trade discussion.

If we could offer them some of out young arms and a Thames or Monroe for Johnson I would be all for it. Their need to cut payroll/restruture the team could make them bite. And we have some areas that are more in need of fixing as we grow into a more competent club. I don't know the minor league system very well, do we have any power left handed bats on the horizen?
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon May 15, 2006 11:48 am

Left handed power bats certainly are not the strength of the farm system. Probably the best I know of is Jeff Larish. He's doubtful to be up anytime this year and probably not even before midseason next year depending on his progress, so he isn't exactly on the horizon yet.

I'd love to have Johnson too, albeit he does carry a pretty big injury history. But in any case, I think the options will definitely be out there should this team look for an extra bat later in the season. There are always a number of teams looking for young talented pitching and as of now, the Tigers have quite a bit of it in the minors.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Detroit Tigers