Is it over really over for Reitsma? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is it over really over for Reitsma?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is it over really over for Reitsma?

Postby Chunky_Boy » Thu May 11, 2006 1:26 am

I know some will say a trade is in the future, but is it Villareal time now? Is he a lock for the replacement?
Chunky_Boy Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Thu May 11, 2006 1:58 am

I believe he's actually only blown 2 saves but he's been terrible when he goes in non-save situations. He's not a closer by any means and Villareal's numbers are misleading. He's 4-0 but he hasn't won a game since April 13th and in those games he won he blew 2 leads. Also, he really hasn't pitched that much recently, only 4.1 innings in May. Villareal doesn't have closer stuff in my opinion, neither does Reitsma for that matter. Their starting pitching is already questionable so Smoltz coming out to close isn't likely.

This is what I think and most disagree with me but either a trade is made or Reitsma closes until Ramirez comes back then they give the job to Sosa. If he's good enough to start than he's good enough to close. They actually talked about making Sosa the closer to start the year but felt he was more valuable as a starter. That has obviously not been the case. I really think that his numbers from last year starting would translate into success closing. He doesn't really have the body to consistently start a full year but he does have the stuff to blow guys away in the 9th inning.

If they can somehow find somebody to successfully close (Sosa, McBride, Devine, or by trade) the team gets much better very quickly by allowing Reitsma to do what he's best at, setting up. They are already 7 games back and the Mets just seem to be getting stronger. Some chances must be taken.
Last edited by Havok1517 on Thu May 11, 2006 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby kev8821 » Thu May 11, 2006 2:35 am

This guy seems really bad to me. I have seen him pitch a few games and he just seems prepared to give up a run or more every time he pitches.

Tonight (didn't see the game) he pitch 2/3 gave up 4 hits and 4 runs. I have him on my squad and I am contemplating dropping him.
kev8821
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Bukoski77 » Thu May 11, 2006 2:53 am

Anthony Lerew was discussed by B. Cox and given a look for serious late inning consideration, before failing horribly, during spring training.

I don’t think failing to win a job during spring will be held against him too severely, and have heard rumors of Lerew being used as an emergency starter a few times this season.

What are his minor league numbers looking like so far this season? Is there any chance he could factor into the closer equation this season in Atlanta
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BabySitler » Thu May 11, 2006 3:55 am

WTF happened to Joey Devine? What a waste of $6.
"The Greeks didn't write obituaries, they only asked one question: Did he have passion?"

2014 50% off CBS http://cbssports.com/ref/49902950
BabySitler
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby George_Foreman » Thu May 11, 2006 4:00 am

Be patient. Devine will be back eventually and when he does he'll close.

Reitsma's still got the job until he blows up big time, but the thing is, the Braves really have no one else. Their most consistant guy was Cormier, but now he's hurt. Villareal is probably the next reasonable option (I'm not nearlly as down on him as Havok is; he blew a couple of leads but his ERA is still good. His walk/K rates are my biggest concern), although McBride looked good tonight. It's concievable that Sosa could be moved into the role and James bumped up now that the Braves have another lefty in the pen, but I doubt that happens. Remlinger has been horrible in his recent outings, and that leaves... Moylan? No way. Paronto? Not happening....

So it's Reitsma's by default for the time being. McBride is cerainly the best pitcher of the above group, and if it's someone before Devine is recalled, my money is on McBride of Villareal.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BabySitler » Thu May 11, 2006 4:04 am

Isn't Devine on the Minor League DL?
"The Greeks didn't write obituaries, they only asked one question: Did he have passion?"

2014 50% off CBS http://cbssports.com/ref/49902950
BabySitler
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GSes » Thu May 11, 2006 1:03 pm

Devine sucks, he has huge talent and potential, but right now its just potential, i dont understnd why anyone thinks he is for sure going to come up and be lights out when its now been two times they brought him and got SHELLED. Devine is the closer of the future, but the future is not now on a guy who cant throw a strike in the bigs.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MrSnider » Thu May 11, 2006 2:15 pm

Ken Ray has been their most lights-out reliever. He's got a nasty change and apparently the personality to be a closer. I think Reitsma's deal is that he doesn't have the personality to be aggressive and go in for the kill.

Another kid to keep an eye on is the AA closer, Will Startup. He was drafted out of UGA and is just tearing up the Southern League. And the Braves have shown they're willing to play AA players everyday. I doubt he'd come up and be the closer immediately, but I expect him on the staff at some point this year.
MrSnider
College Coach
College Coach

Postby yossarian » Thu May 11, 2006 2:43 pm

Hmmm....Ray does look like maybe a possiblity, going by his stats. I'll keep an eye on him.
yossarian
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers