Can Pujols pass Bonds Single Season Record??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can Pujols pass Bonds Single Season Record???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Joe Mauer » Thu May 11, 2006 1:11 am

Having 18 at this point in the season makes it possible. How possible? Well, let's wait till the All-Star break. But if he is still on track (or ahead of the trend) then he has a great chance.

Bonds is the Darth Vader of baseball. He is a powerful force in the game and he scares people and he is one of the best at his craft. But, he also has gone over to the dark side to attain his professional goals and that has tainted the baseball universe.

Having Pujols break the single season record before Bonds possibly has a chance to catch and pass Aaron (if Bonds stays healthy and strong and plays next season) would restore at least some order and credibility to baseball and will lessen the blow a bit when/if Baroid passes Aaron.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby Havok1517 » Thu May 11, 2006 1:19 am

I believe Bonds has 25 at the All-Star break, am I wrong?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby Bukoski77 » Thu May 11, 2006 2:56 am

Havok1517 wrote:I believe Bonds has 25 at the All-Star break, am I wrong?

This season or are you asking about his record breaking season?
In any case, wrong. He will be under 50 at this year's break and I'm fairly certain he was over 35 at the break of his record breaking season.

Pujos definitely could do it, but until he has 60 going into September I don't think it should be discussed too seriously.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Thu May 11, 2006 3:45 am

Bukoski77 wrote:

In any case, wrong. He will be under 50 at this year's break and I'm fairly certain he was over 35 at the break of his record breaking season.

Pujos definitely could do it, but until he has 60 going into September I don't think it should be discussed too seriously.

Hmmm, how many did he have the record breaking season at the break?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby RAmst23 » Thu May 11, 2006 4:07 am

I think it's possible, but very hard to predict. We'll have to see what's going on when Pujols hits number 50... But I'm down for AP to have the single season home run record.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu May 11, 2006 7:54 am

I can't see that it's not possible. If anything, the fact that the Cards aren't 10 games up like they have been the last few years seems likely to get him more focused. :-?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Mustangs989 » Thu May 11, 2006 8:35 am

Havok1517 wrote:
Bukoski77 wrote:

Hmmm, how many did he have the record breaking season at the break?

Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mak1277 » Thu May 11, 2006 9:09 am

AcidRock23 wrote:I can't see that it's not possible. If anything, the fact that the Cards aren't 10 games up like they have been the last few years seems likely to get him more focused. :-?

I think the Cards being in a tight race hurts him, especially if more than one team stays close during the year. Go back to McGwire's big year..the Cards were out of the race and LaRussa did everything possible to get him ABs. There was no need for him to do anything BUT try for HRs. If the Cards are in a tight race, it's more likely Poo-holes will be pitched around and worked carefully (at least by the other teams in the race).
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu May 11, 2006 9:40 am

mak1277 wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:I can't see that it's not possible. If anything, the fact that the Cards aren't 10 games up like they have been the last few years seems likely to get him more focused. :-?

I think the Cards being in a tight race hurts him, especially if more than one team stays close during the year. Go back to McGwire's big year..the Cards were out of the race and LaRussa did everything possible to get him ABs. There was no need for him to do anything BUT try for HRs. If the Cards are in a tight race, it's more likely Poo-holes will be pitched around and worked carefully (at least by the other teams in the race).

It's just how Big Al goes to the plate, obviously, as a Cubs' fan, I'm not really a 'fan' but I do have a tremendous respect for his work ethic and the way he approaches each AB. I don't really think that he 'tries' to hit HR but that he brings 110% to each AB, regardless of the game situation/ race situation. Look at LaRussa playing him when he was having shoulder issues in the past. He'll get ab...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby TBallgame » Thu May 11, 2006 10:09 am

He may not pass Bonds Single Season Record, but he has a good chance of breaking the REAL record of 61 set by Roger Maris
"I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated." Al McGuire
TBallgame
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers