Can Pujols pass Bonds Single Season Record??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can Pujols pass Bonds Single Season Record???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed May 10, 2006 8:15 pm

Havok1517 wrote:I wish people would calm down about this guy. Yes, he's currently a great hitter but he doesn't have even 250 career HR. Pujols needs a lot more years of similar production to even make this discussion relevant. :-t

For a single season record, having 250 career homers doesn't mean much. It's about his season. So far he's shown he can be consistent over a season, but not at this pace. If he holds up something close to this pace then obviously he has a shot at it. Unfortunately I don't see why anyone would pitch to him enough for him to go all year and have enough chances.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby spacehamster01 » Wed May 10, 2006 8:22 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:I wish people would calm down about this guy. Yes, he's currently a great hitter but he doesn't have even 250 career HR. Pujols needs a lot more years of similar production to even make this discussion relevant. :-t

For a single season record, having 250 career homers doesn't mean much. It's about his season. So far he's shown he can be consistent over a season, but not at this pace. If he holds up something close to this pace then obviously he has a shot at it. Unfortunately I don't see why anyone would pitch to him enough for him to go all year and have enough chances.

Yeah he's been consistent since his career started. At the pace he's going at this season I bet he could break Barry's record, barring any injuries or guys walking him as often as Barry. Considering he's been consistent every year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him being the all time HR leader at the end of his career. Pujols has already shown us that he's one of the best and most consistent, averaging .333, approx 40 HR, and 120ish RBIs in 5 Straight seasons, plus 120ish Runs as well. I think 5 years of this type of production in just his first 5 years of playing proves he has huge things ahead of him.
Last edited by spacehamster01 on Wed May 10, 2006 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spacehamster01
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Wed May 10, 2006 8:24 pm

Hopefully Rolen and Edmonds give him enough protection so that the pitchers continue to pitch to him.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed May 10, 2006 8:33 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:

Who said he was refering to a single season record? Its really not clear. If thats the case, yeah its possible.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 115)

Postby rainman23 » Wed May 10, 2006 8:58 pm

He says Pujols is three games ahead of Bonds' record-setting pace. I think it's pretty clear he's talking about the single season record.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Wed May 10, 2006 9:05 pm

rainman23 wrote:He says Pujols is three games ahead of Bonds' record-setting pace. I think it's pretty clear he's talking about the single season record.

Sorry, must have missed that as did others who asked the same question.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 115)

Postby mweir145 » Wed May 10, 2006 9:06 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. If he keeps going at this pace, won't he start getting the Bonds treatment (2001-2004) from pitchers?

I'm going to say no to the single-season record. He just can't keep this pace up. It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility, though. Pujols is that good.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby HOOTIE » Wed May 10, 2006 9:23 pm

I don't have Pujols on any teams. I hope he quits hitting hrs. Doesn't help me at all, or hurts me. Go Thome.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby jayman » Wed May 10, 2006 9:33 pm

i think the reason all this is such big deal is because its May. the numbers dwarf others. he has, what, 38 hits? and 18 are over the fence... wow!!! well, arod has had months like that - numerous months - check his splits.... with all that said... pujols could do it..
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Wed May 10, 2006 10:02 pm

That's the thing about Pujols. If you check his monthly stats over the years, he's not streaky. He consistantly hits every month about the same, so it's even scarier if this is not a streak and it's his new monthly base.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers